Android - Bug Game music playback gap issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Problem

When you start a game, and don't launch the ball immediately, you can hear a noticeable gap when the "launch ball" music finishes and restarts (loops).

Reproducable

100%.

It affects all devices in my signature, as well as reports from other users on iOS.

Steps to reproduce

1. Start a new game (CV, MB, or TZ are good targets for this).
  2. Leave the ball in the shooter lane until the music loops (usually about 5-10 seconds)
  3. Observe what happens at the point the music loops.

Actual behavior

The music restarts, but a noticeable break in the music (called a "gap" in music terms) is observed when the loop finishes and starts again.

Review http://youtu.be/SdBefnrWWIk for a demo of the issue, with audio commentary from me.

Expected behavior

The music loops seamlessly without an audible playback gap, just like it does on the real table, until you launch the ball.

Workaround

No workaround exists.

Thoughts

This does not happen in the actual pinball games, so I can only assume it is a bug in the emulation Farsight uses, a technical limitation of the playback software in the ROM emulation, or an issue with how Android buffers the audio.

I have raised this formally in an email to support@, so it can be officially tracked. I have not yet had an official response from android on this.

N

netizen

It's pretty slight, but it's there. I'd suspect it isn't noticed for the most part due to players making quick plunges/launches so it not really becoming an issue.

To my ear it sounds like either a poorly trimmed sample, or a buffering issue. The sample could be of too high a resolution for the buffer that is playing it, which means a slight delay on the reload back to the head. Meh, we can all speculate all day.

Consider it replicated on my end.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
If you get to record a high score on No Good Gophers, it is very noticeable as you are entering your initials.

The bass, and drum track loop that plays before you confirm your final initial is very short, and loops multiple times during the sequence.

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
Confirmed reproducible here too. Samsung Galaxy Nexus running android 4.2.1 and Nexus 7 also on 4.2.1.

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
Thoughts

This does not happen in the actual pinball games, so I can only assume it is a bug in the emulation Farsight uses, a technical limitation of the playback software in the ROM emulation, or an issue with how Android buffers the audio.

I also got this when I had my 3rd Gen iPad, and my 360 does this on Cirqus Voltaire. It's not just android affected.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'm adding this issue to the Bobby king round 2 questions. Will note it is for iOSand Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts