Why is the Death Save (Bang Back) considered illegal?

PinMike8666

Feb 20, 2012
The Death Save, a sharp forward nudge (when timed right) that pops the pinball up while it's going down the center drain from the outlanes (with help from holding the flipper in the direction to where the ball is draining), is a move often considered a controversial move. Some say it's cheating, others think it's part of the strategy.

Personally, my opinion falls into the latter; I think it's a very risk-reward move. In Pro Pinball, which is an utterly fantastic simulation of the real game, I rarely ever get this move successfully; when I do, the table nearly tilts. I basically risked my turn in order to save my ball. I even performed this on the Wii version of the Williams Collection; same result. I usually don't succeed at attempting it either.

Who thinks this move should be considered illegal or part of the game? And why should or shouldn't be an illegal technique?

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I heard that it's considered an illegal move becuase some forms of it (like kicking the leg of the machine) can be harmful to the machine.

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
wouldn't consider it illegal. destroying the machine is of course illegal, but that doesn't matter in console/pc games. did it with success a lot of times in timeshock :)

Tony C

Feb 20, 2012
IMHO, anything that doesn't cause the machine to tilt is legal. If you're willing to try it, go ahead. If it works, you're golden. If it doesn't, you've also lost any bonus you had earned for that ball so that has to factor in on the risk side of the equation. Every machine is different. I have my machines set up very tight and anyone trying a death save will quickly learn their lesson.

PinMike8666

Feb 20, 2012
Interesting note while playing Pro Pinball (post-The Web), right when my ball is fixing to drain very early on (which gives the player an extra ball), I can sometimes plunge the draining ball out to the center while the other ball is activated, thus creating an unintentional multiball; even when one of those two balls drain, the game doesn't even count it as a drained ball.

So yeah, I think it might be for the best interest to not include the death save upon this realization; unless if they include tables that allow for it. I've heard some Data East tables included a "Death Save Reward".

EbortionXsrk

Apr 4, 2012
In tournament play Deathsaves and Bangbacks are illegal. Also, they are two different things, not one in the same.

http://www.ipdb.org/playing/wizard.html There are some animations there to clarify the differences.

Most places generally frown upon it and I think the community standard is to avoid doing it altogether. I know that you are automatically disqualified if you do it at a PAPA tournament and I'd imagine almost every other organized tournament would do the same.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts