Epic Quest for Zen Pinball

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I picked up the Epic Quest table for Zen Pinball the other day, and I've been having a lot of fun with it. I already bought it for the PS3 when they accidentally released it in December, so I knew what the table was like. Nice, bright colors, and I enjoy the theme (the humor reminds me a bit of Medieval Madness), but my one complaint would be that it seems rather repetitive. Select monster - hit ramps - beat monster... there doesn't seem to be the varied gameplay that some of their other tables have (I really enjoyed Sorcerer's Lair).

It's definitely worth the $0.99.

PinMike8666

Feb 20, 2012
Very nice table with an interesting theme. I do agree about it being a little repetitive, but not too much to make play monotonous at all. The layout is great with a couple difficult shots, par with the course from Zen Studios. I also like how low scoring it is compared to some of their other tables.

My favorite Medieval/Dark Ages table from Zen Studios remains Excalibur, which is also my all-time favorite table from them.

Tyler

Feb 19, 2012
I absolutely hated Excalibur on the PS3 when it came out. I found the ball would constantly drain on the left hand side. I didn't touch that table again until I saw that it had been fixed on the iOS version. I actually like it now.

Epic Quest is a great idea...being able to carry forward plays each time is fun. I think it's missing an intro or stats screen to let you know what your character has equipped and what level you are currently at. This might add to the RPG factor and take away from the pinball though. It might help with the repetitiveness as we all know, grinding is the nature of the RPG. Loot rewards will makes the player endure anything.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I really like excalibur, epic quest and Sorcerers lair but I was very disapointed with the wolverine table even though it was more expensive than the others (ios). Doubt I'll buy any more of the marvel tables.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I think the Marvel tables are really hit and miss. They cost more due to the Marvel license, and I don't think they're better than the "normal" Zen tables, they just have recognizable characters.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I actually like Wolverine because it isn't as cluttered as most of their other tables. Most of them are a bit too crowded, IMO.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I actually prefer busy tables, the more happening the better. Not at all fond of Black Hole, apart from being brutally hard to keep the ball in play its as bare as a badgers a**.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I have pinball fx 2 on xbox plus every table released to date and I enjoy playing these tables cause of my love for pinball, but I just wish they would stick to making tables that have more in common with real world tables than the arcade/animated style tables they currently release.

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
I have Zen for PS3 and 3DS and Marvel for PS3. I think Zen 3D and Marvel are both better than Zen PS3 due to the better physics and layouts compared to the starting tables in Zen PS3. I prefer Zen's DLC tables to the starting ones. Zen 3D had 2 of them as starting tables which appealed to me. The ball moves way too fast in Zen PS3 I think.

PiN WiZ, that's not going to happen. Zen wants to make pins that casual people would like, and casual people in general don't like real pins, claiming they're too 'boring.' Why do you think lots of video pinball games have all the crazy stuff that can't be done on real tables, like moving aliens and shooting lasers? They appeal to people who normally hate pinball but love video games. Companies combine the two.

I still play some of these video-gamey pinball games, but nothing beats simulations of real tables or fantasy versions like the Pro Pinball series.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
PiN WiZ, that's not going to happen. Zen wants to make pins that casual people would like, and casual people in general don't like real pins, claiming they're too 'boring.' Why do you think lots of video pinball games have all the crazy stuff that can't be done on real tables, like moving aliens and shooting lasers? They appeal to people who normally hate pinball but love video games. Companies combine the two.

I see your point and you're probably right. Like I said, I own all tables released to date for Pinball FX and do enjoy playing them, I just wish they would throw in a few tables like the ones I mentioned for us long time pinball addicts.

Members online

Members online