Playing Gofers, Black Knight, Pinbot, Taxi, Firepower,and Whirlwind RIGHT NOW on 360!

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Oh man how awesome, I'm playing like 10 future DLC tables Months before my fellow 360 players can! This is amazing. I am incredibly special.

Playing this of course:http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...nw=99&start=0&ndsp=46&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:88

Oh what did you think I meant? That I was a Farsight insider with early access to these ;). No I picked this up at a local game shop for 20 bucks. I figured it's a steal since it's going for 40 and up on Ebay. And I wasn't dissapointed, this is a great collection. Here's what I think so far, table for table:

Whirlwind: Best of the bunch. Absolutely awesome table, so much fun, so colorful, love the music, the style, everything. Has a late 80's/early 90's Nichelodeon/Double Dare kinda vibe to it, if that makes sense, so being a kid during that era it hits all the right nostalgia chords. "The storm is coming, return to your holes!" (I know it says "homes". I like holes better).

Pinbot: Actually loving this alot more than Bride. An absolute classic. Should point out, besides the ball physics being a tad slower in this version, I find that this and Whirlwind are incredibly polished and fun to play tables. After hours I have experienced, wait for this, NO BUGS. What? Yeah. I'm as stunned as you are. Not even through the flipper bugs or anything like that. Strange, isn't it? And this applies to pretty much every table so far. I'm both happy and sad about this :/

Firepower and Space Shuttle: Didn't think I'd like these as much as I did. Not bad tables.

Black Knight/Sorcerer: Didn't expect to like these as much, since I'm not a fan of Gorgar or Black Hole, but I was pleasantly surprised. PBHOF really does scripted tables well, IMO, and these two are top notch. Black Knight is especially addictive but once I get dialed in I can pretty much go forever. I stopped playing once I flipped the score board at 10 mil.

No Good Gofers: Pretty much identical to the iOS version visually. Looks great, very colorful, though one thing that's odd about PBHOF is the camera angles on the DMD games. Gofers actually has the best camera angles of the lot, which is a good thing since better versions of Tales and Medieval Madness are out on 360 anyway. Very playable and a ton of fun, love the music on this one.

Taxi: Minor scripting errors aside, this is the one table that I feel falls pretty short of the iOS. The ball is just way too slow, especially during skill shot and going up ramps. It's almost like I'm playing in slow motion, anyone who played this irl knows it's a very fast table. Still not a bad way to sample Taxi and get used to the rules before the official release.

Jive Time: I've yet to unlock it.

Overall I've found that what this collection does best is 80's stuff. Dare I say the 80's tables are BETTER here than in PBA. Yes, I dare. Seriously, the slower ball physics just feel more accurate on the older stuff. Space Shuttle, Firepower, Sorcerer, Pin*Bot, Black Knight... they all feel perfect here. On iOS I have mad trouble with BK and on Xbox I find Gorgar almost unplayable. Honestly these games were/are slower than DMD stuff irl so it makes sense that they'd be more enjoyable in this collection. I do find, however, that this collection starts stinking when you get up to the System 11 games, with one exception (Whirlwind). Funhouse and Taxi clearly have issues, both in scripting and playability. The PBA versions are vast improvements. However for some reason Whirlwind plays GREAT here. Maybe it's just cause I don't have a newer version to compare it to, but honestly, I play it the most and find it incredibly enjoyable.

I definitely recommend this disc for 30$. I paid 20$. 40$ is a bit too much, and unfortunate that that's what this basically goes for on Ebay. Anyways it's recommended It definitely makes the wait for new DLC over here in 360 land a lot easier. Some may be curious if I'd sell mine, PM me and we can discuss, I'd consider it. I really only picked this up to pass time since I've come down with the flu, and I go back to work Monday regardless so I could probably part with it.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Oh dude you are going to get it! -_- Here I was thinking that the DLC finally dropped and you over here trolling! LOL I did get a good laugh out of this though. Thank you, Mark!

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I have PHoF on the Wii, which lacked all the DMD tables for which scripting couldn't cut the mustard, so the Eighties content was an even larger fraction of the total.

The Wii being what it is, the graphics obviously seem incredibly chunky after playing some of the same tables on the XBox. But, on the other hand, I find myself playing TPA most of the time on my tiny Android phone, whose graphics are really no better than lo-def TV. And the Wii version's control scheme was great.

My personal favorites in PHoF were probably Firepower, Pin*Bot and Taxi, though I agree that TPA does Taxi better.

Firepower seems to me to be an underrated game today; it's very simple by modern standards, but there's something elegant about it. I played the heck out of it in PHoF. I've since encountered a real one. In the real world it is, of course, tougher and faster, so much so that I have trouble making any headway, but still appealing, and I get hooked on it.

N

Nik Barbour

Every time I walk past a "Previously Owned" rack of 360 titles, I look for this - but, it's never there.
Holds its price too well on Amazon too!

N

Nik Barbour

Shopto is still selling it dirt cheap in Europe (physical copy cheaper than the GOD, yes please):

http://shopto.net/xbox360/XB2WI24-williams-pinball-classics

It's what turned me on to TPA in the first place.

All gone unfortunately - but thanks for the tip! :)

I could buy it full price, but I don't want it that bad - it would only be a casual purchase.
I think xbla has it for £15ish.

Hopefully Farsight will re-do all of these for TPA, and they might make it to xbox someday.

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
I am sure they will, cause they "just" have to update the tables and not to programm them from the ground.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I am sure they will, cause they "just" have to update the tables and not to programm them from the ground.

However, I think they do want to get ROM emulation going for the earlier Williams solid-state games instead of leaving them scripted. This has already happened for Taxi and Funhouse.

There's a bit of a puzzle here, as to why the scripting on Black Knight and Gorgar in TPA seems not quite as clean as it was in PHoF: The Williams Collection, if they're just recycling the same scripts. (Though I do remember people complaining that the scripting of Black Knight in PHoF already wasn't doing it justice, by leaving out some sound and light effects.)

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I'm done with it if anyone wants to buy. 20 plus shipping is all I ask, deal for y'all since I like you guys and you're special

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Hopefully Farsight will re-do all of these for TPA, and they might make it to xbox someday.

Yes, Farsight is redoing all their PHoF tables (or most of them, anyhow, word has it Jive Time won't be done) into TPA.

I bought PHoF for PS3 - got the EUrope version, and have the US version of PHoF for my Xbox.

N

Nik Barbour

Yes, Farsight is redoing all their PHoF tables (or most of them, anyhow, word has it Jive Time won't be done) into TPA.

I bought PHoF for PS3 - got the EUrope version, and have the US version of PHoF for my Xbox.

Cheers Worf!
I might pick it up off xbla - people keep asking me what I'd like for Christmas, and I can't think of a single thing (that's affordable anyway - Real life 'Black Knight' table if Santa's reading this thread!) :D

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
I hope the DLC gets sorted soon, just traded in my wii and games that was gathering dust and bought Microsoft points with what i made.Now just waiting for the tables on xbox to start coming again. At least I have an Android tablet to play them on in the mean time.
...Just seen Pin Wiz's Update looks like we still waiting a little while longer for xbla versions...

N

Nik Barbour

I hope the DLC gets sorted soon, just traded in my wii and games that was gathering dust and bought Microsoft points with what i made.Now just waiting for the tables on xbox to start coming again. At least I have an Android tablet to play them on in the mean time.
...Just seen Pin Wiz's Update looks like we still waiting a little while longer for xbla versions...

Sounds like it's all moving along though! :D

Singing to the tune 'All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth' - "All I want for Christmas is my xbox dlc".
(This might be a Northern English thing if no-one understands what I'm on about).

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Sounds like it's all moving along though! :D

Singing to the tune 'All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth' - "All I want for Christmas is my xbox dlc".
(This might be a Northern English thing if no-one understands what I'm on about).

I get the song reference-pretty good! BTW-for this Christmas or next?

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Cheers Worf!
I might pick it up off xbla - people keep asking me what I'd like for Christmas, and I can't think of a single thing (that's affordable anyway - Real life 'Black Knight' table if Santa's reading this thread!) :D

Heh. I'd go for a real-life MM and STTNG. Then I'll be happy. Of course, finding the former at a non-ripoff price is pretty much impossible, though at least STTNG seems to be perhaps just on the more expensive end of pins its age.

If only I knew what happened to the old MM machine that was at the arcade in the university student building... they tore down the arcade years ago.

And yes, I'm having a hard time coming up with my christmas list to assist my family.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts