Nexus 4 - periodic slowdowns?

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
I got a new Nexus 4 (woo-hoo!)...loving the phone, just periodically TPA will slow down. Not a huge amount, but just enough that you start to see some stuttering. Game starts out fine, and then all of a sudden stutters start. Particularly in TZ.

I am in no way saying this is a TPA issue (most phones have issues with drivers and stuff when they first come out)...but am I alone?

Thanks!
Eric

VenomPlug

Oct 30, 2012
It's old android bug. Random slowdowns will keep happening and it looks like there's no reason to fix that. I mean, it's like that since i remember, funny how i don't get any slowdowns on my old Galaxy Tab P-1000. Just pause/unpause the game when it happens and that's all you do to restore the flow. BTW no such issue on TZ so far but i know it will eventually happen.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I get some of this which I think is just syncing of email and such.

Some people have had success with turning off location-based services, which seem to suck a lot of CPU at inopportune times.

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
I kinda doubt that it's just syncing...never had an issue with my Galaxy Nexus (which is an ostensibly slower phone). But who knows, maybe the Nexus 4 isn't quite as good at the whole synching thing. :)

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
The random slowdowns is part of why I rooted and custom ROM'd my devices. both my LTE/CDMA Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7 would intermittently slow down on the stock software (mostly the kernel to blame), but once I put custom software on there, 95% of my slowdowns disappeared. Main reason for that is a built-from-source rom is usually built with better optimizations (de-odexed, zipaligned for better ram management, the build flags set up for optimization, etc...) where the stock software is tuned for absolute stability at a slight cost of interactive "fluidness", and as a result, battery life. I leave background sync and location services on, if that's worth anything.

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
Just an update on this...since custom kernels have now come out for the Nexus 4, things are much better!

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Welcome to my world =) hard to know whats a bug and whats a "feature" in the world of Android. Just checked our dev portal and this is what it says...

"This application is available to over 1534 devices."

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.