Pinball Arcade vs. Williams Pinball Hall of Fame ??

SoundsGood

Dec 4, 2012
Hi guys,

We own the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame disc for Wii and absolutely love it (I played many of these games when I was younger). But our Wii console isn't working right so we got an Xbox console instead (it was free thanks to a new computer purchase! :)).

I downloaded the Pinball Arcade demo on Xbox to try it out, but there's a frustrating slight delay when hitting the flippers. Note that this delay is NOT there when playing Williams Pinball Hall of Fame on Wii, so I don't think it's a TV setting problem.

Here's my question: do you suppose I'm better off seeking out a used copy of Williams Pinball Hall of Fame for Xbox (new ones are too expensive) or is there a fix for the flipper delay on Pinball Arcade for Xbox? Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Also... other than the flipper delay issue and the obvious different game tables, what's the difference between the Pinball Arcade version and the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame version?

Thanks in advance!

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Better physics and graphics are the differences, XBOX is having issues with releasing new DLC and it might be some time for the next DLC. Thats the first I heard XBOX LAG, If you can find a used copy of PHOF:WC get it! You could always give it to someone when you have all the tables from it on TPA. Oh yeah and WELCOME to the FAN PAGE!:)

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
Downloadable Content. Add-on packs with new tables.

Welcome to the fold, SoundsGood.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Note that this delay is NOT there when playing Williams Pinball Hall of Fame on Wii, so I don't think it's a TV setting problem.

This could still be a TV setting problem, or an issue with the TV in general; since the Wii only has standard-definition analog video output, your two consoles are likely connected to the TV in completely different ways, so the lack of lag with the Wii is no indication of what the TV might be doing with high-def digital XBox input. Is your XBox connected via an HDMI cable?

PlayStation 3 users have complained a lot about flipper lag in TPA, but I don't notice much in TPA on my XBox 360, and it hasn't been a common complaint among XBox users. If it's a problem with your video setup, PHoF will probably exhibit it too.

Last edited:

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Hey Soundsgood. Wow this is the first I've heard of flipper lag on xbox. But I think the flippers are sluggish on TPA in general. I am reminded of how sluggish they are when I play Zen, Pro Pinball, or real pinball after a few long TPA sessions. This is one of the biggest problems with TPA. Stick around a bit and read some threads, these problems and many more have been addressed by many.

Check out this thread:
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/2660-What-are-your-3-biggest-concerns-for-TPA

TPA is way better than PHOF in many other areas though. The ball physics are way better and the tables are more accurate. Some of the PHOF tables don't even have all the modes available or have been altered in some way. Also, now Farsight is producing tables from all the major companies and new DLC makes it worth having. Farsight is working toward something good here and going in the right direction with TPA, but there are a few potholes on the way.I have gotten used to the flippers on TPA, just as I get used to the Zen physics, or like I get used to the ball draining every 2 seconds on real pinball lol.

Soundsgood, do you have TPA on your iphone? You should download it and try a demo table for free, then compare with the same table on xbox version side by side. Then answer this question: Are the flippers more responsive on iphone?

Last edited:

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I will say, though the ball physics feels more realistic in TPA than in PHoF, on the other hand, TPA tables seem more infested with game-ending bugs.

In PHoF on the Wii, I'd often get the "ball fell off table" message, but the game could deal with it in a way that didn't disrupt play too badly. All too many TPA tables have the infuriating problem in which the ball gets apparently stuck, but "call attendant" doesn't work. As far as I know, that never happened in Pinball Hall of Fame, which by rights ought to be a clue.

(I actually haven't seen this bug yet with the latest Android release, but even if they fixed it, it may be a long time before that fix ever comes to the XBox, given Farsight's distributor troubles on that platform.)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Another thing to look at is to try switching from the analog triggers to the bumpers above them, the clicky ones. There is a dead zone to get the flippers to respond with the triggers. In a way more realistic but i think it's set a little to far in the trigger's travel.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Hi guys,

We own the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame disc for Wii and absolutely love it (I played many of these games when I was younger). But our Wii console isn't working right so we got an Xbox console instead (it was free thanks to a new computer purchase! :)).

I downloaded the Pinball Arcade demo on Xbox to try it out, but there's a frustrating slight delay when hitting the flippers. Note that this delay is NOT there when playing Williams Pinball Hall of Fame on Wii, so I don't think it's a TV setting problem.

Here's my question: do you suppose I'm better off seeking out a used copy of Williams Pinball Hall of Fame for Xbox (new ones are too expensive) or is there a fix for the flipper delay on Pinball Arcade for Xbox? Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Also... other than the flipper delay issue and the obvious different game tables, what's the difference between the Pinball Arcade version and the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame version?

Thanks in advance!

PHOF has more tables available than PA on the 360. Also, I'm having a lot more fun currently with PHOF than PA. The is one similarity I've noticed though-neither one will have Twilight Zone available as DLC.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Another thing to look at is to try switching from the analog triggers to the bumpers above them, the clicky ones. There is a dead zone to get the flippers to respond with the triggers. In a way more realistic but i think it's set a little to far in the trigger's travel.

This is true! I use the bumpers all the time on the XBox, and they are definitely more responsive than the triggers, though perhaps ergonomically less-than-ideal. (Part of the infamous flipper-lag trouble on the PS3 may just be that all of the switches are analog on the PS3 controller, so whatever slop is in Farsight's handling of analog switches applies to all of them. But the left and right bumpers on the XBox 360 controller are simple on-off switches.)

SoundsGood

Dec 4, 2012
This could still be a TV setting problem, or an issue with the TV in general; since the Wii only has standard-definition analog video output, your two consoles are likely connected to the TV in completely different ways, so the lack of lag with the Wii is no indication of what the TV might be doing with high-def digital XBox input. Is your XBox connected via an HDMI cable?
Hmmm. That's a good point. The Xbox is connected via HDMI, the Wii was plain 'ol component cables.

Wow this is the first I've heard of flipper lag on xbox. But I think the flippers are sluggish on TPA in general.
It's only a slight delay. I can adjust for it, but it makes things more difficult (especially during multi-ball play).

TPA is way better than PHOF in many other areas though. The ball physics are way better and the tables are more accurate.
I see. That's good to know.

Soundsgood, do you have TPA on your iphone? You should download it and try a demo table for free, then compare with the same table on xbox version side by side. Then answer this question: Are the flippers more responsive on iphone?
Yes, I actually had it on my iPhone long before we had the Xbox. The flippers are "instant" on the iPhone, just as they should be. On the Xbox I need to click the flipper half-a-second (or so) before I normally would. Frustrating.

Another thing to look at is to try switching from the analog triggers to the bumpers above them, the clicky ones.
That's the very first setting I changed. :)

PHOF has more tables available than PA on the 360. Also, I'm having a lot more fun currently with PHOF than PA.
I'll definitely snag a used copy of PHOF. Any place other than eBay that you guys might recommend for this?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'll definitely snag a used copy of PHOF. Any place other than eBay that you guys might recommend for this?

I found my copy at a GameStop for $13 (PS3) Just go to their website, enter in the title and then see if there are any available in your area. Beyond that, you're at the mercy of eBay.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

How is your Xbox hooked up to your TV? Are you using HDMI or are you using composite (red, white, yellow cables) ?

What type of TV do you own?

It's a setting or connection issue that I can walk you through no problems but I need this information. When hooked up correctly Pinball Arcade has zero lag on 360 and is a big improvement over the williams collection.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Thats so weird that you get lag on xbox. Hope you can find a fix for it. Glad you play it on iphone, I find myself playing TPA on my phone more often anyway. I like that I can play real pinball tables while watching sports, sitting in a waiting room, or while driving.

Nothing wrong with getting PHOF, in fact I do still play it. I'm one of the freaks who likes Jive Time.

(joking about driving.....not joking about Jive Time :)))

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
It's actually pretty common. Both the TV's I have lag when using HDMI. Ones a Sony Bravia and the other is a Samsung LED, so these aren't bargain bin crapola tv's by any means.

The lag on the Sony is barely noticable so I'd say 85% of people would never be able to tell. The Samsung lags bad unless you know the workarounds. And if he's using composite cables that came with the Xbox he's going to have lag, not to mention an absolutely awful image quality.

SoundsGood

Dec 4, 2012
I found my copy at a GameStop for $13 (PS3) Just go to their website, enter in the title and then see if there are any available in your area. Beyond that, you're at the mercy of eBay.
Gamestop is OOS. Off to eBay I go....

How is your Xbox hooked up to your TV? Are you using HDMI or are you using composite (red, white, yellow cables) ? What type of TV do you own? It's a setting or connection issue that I can walk you through no problems but I need this information. When hooked up correctly Pinball Arcade has zero lag on 360 and is a big improvement over the williams collection.
HDMI to TV. Optical cable to receiver (shouldn't affect this). Samsung LN55B650 TV. Help! :)

Thats so weird that you get lag on xbox. Hope you can find a fix for it. Glad you play it on iphone, I find myself playing TPA on my phone more often anyway. I like that I can play real pinball tables while watching sports, sitting in a waiting room, or while driving.
I know, right? Although playing on the iPhone drives me nuts because my thumbs cover part of the screen. Anyone have an iPad? Is TPA on the iPad full screen like the iPhone, or is there a place to hit the flippers that doesn't cover part of the table??

By the way, I love your Xenon avatar. Brings back some great long-forgotten memories!

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
The lag on the Sony is barely noticable so I'd say 85% of people would never be able to tell.

Ah, this makes sense. My TV is also a Sony Bravia, and I haven't noticed any lag problems (I haven't really bothered messing with the settings). Maybe it's a good combination.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.