Does your wireless Sixaxis controller unpause the game for you?

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Maybe it's just me and all the PS3s and Sixaxis (the ones without force feedback are the only ones I've used on PS3) controllers I've had, but it seems like when they're unplugged and running wirelessly, they sometimes press the Triangle button all on their own. Naturally this can cause funky behavior from time to time in some games; in TPA, it usually isn't that bad as it just toggles the DMD display off :p, but it can be a problem for pausing the game, because in TPA for some reason Triangle closes the pause menu and resumes the game--which means there's a decent chance I'll come back and find my ball drained if I left the game on pause and forgot to plug the controller in before walking off.

Am I the only one whose Sixaxes do this? It seems like a weird hardware glitch they'd have corrected by now if it happened to everyone, but I've had two PS3s--different models--and like six Sixaxis controllers. Hm maybe it's Bluetooth interference in my area somehow? Well if it isn't just me I guess it might be worth asking Farsight if they could not have Triangle resume the game, so it could actually be paused safely on this silly system. :p

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah, that's just you. I've owned Sixaxis controllers and used several others, never had that happen to me.

Tabe

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The triangle button short on a sixaxis of any kind is pretty common. I've had it on two of my controllers out of about a dozen that I've owned. One would just hit the triangle on occasion. The other would hit triangle every time I hit R2.

killinjer

Aug 30, 2012
probably need a new controller
mine would change table view in mid game,
then i figured that happen when the controller twists
new controller:D

when the heck does TZ come out for ps3?? :confused:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Yeah I'm just gonna try using one of my other controllers--after reading the responses I went and looked at them and judging from how much the one I was using is worn compared to the others, I've probably just been using that one all the time without really realizing it and it's quite possibly the only one with the problem!

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Maybe it's just me and all the PS3s and Sixaxis (the ones without force feedback are the only ones I've used on PS3) controllers I've had, but it seems like when they're unplugged and running wirelessly, they sometimes press the Triangle button all on their own. Naturally this can cause funky behavior from time to time in some games; in TPA, it usually isn't that bad as it just toggles the DMD display off :p, but it can be a problem for pausing the game, because in TPA for some reason Triangle closes the pause menu and resumes the game--which means there's a decent chance I'll come back and find my ball drained if I left the game on pause and forgot to plug the controller in before walking off.

Am I the only one whose Sixaxes do this? It seems like a weird hardware glitch they'd have corrected by now if it happened to everyone, but I've had two PS3s--different models--and like six Sixaxis controllers. Hm maybe it's Bluetooth interference in my area somehow? Well if it isn't just me I guess it might be worth asking Farsight if they could not have Triangle resume the game, so it could actually be paused safely on this silly system. :p

I have never experienced this or heard of this before. And I used to read a lot on PS3 boards.
But now you have a reason to open the controller. See if you can repair it. Have fun.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I have never experienced this or heard of this before. And I used to read a lot on PS3 boards.
But now you have a reason to open the controller. See if you can repair it. Have fun.

In my discoveries I found that its a worn out switch that is causing a short. The switches are so small in the controller that repairing one would be next to impossible. Even replacing the switch is difficult. The triangle, square, circle and x buttons are all built onto the same little board. You'd have to replace the whole board from a donor controller like one that the battery died in.

I have taken apart and repaired one Sony controller. Lots of little parts. A small mold tab had broken off inside my controller and was getting in the way of the left stick. I took it apart and removed the little bit of plastic. I surprised myself when I was able to get it back together.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
I used to have a similar problem with BF3. This really is an easy fix. Google & YouTube are your friends here.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I used to have a similar problem with BF3. This really is an easy fix. Google & YouTube are your friends here.

Nice. Five years ago I did not find any videos on how to take the controller apart and fix anything. I looked at a couple of the videos today and seems to me that the controllers today are designed a little bit differently on the inside than the ones from 6 years ago. They didn't have rumble 6 years ago so I guess that's one thing.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
In my discoveries I found that its a worn out switch that is causing a short. The switches are so small in the controller that repairing one would be next to impossible. Even replacing the switch is difficult. The triangle, square, circle and x buttons are all built onto the same little board. You'd have to replace the whole board from a donor controller like one that the battery died in.

Too bad, then there's nothing he can do. I know that the first PS3s had lots of hardware issues. Didn't know Sony messed up controllers as well.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Too bad, then there's nothing he can do. I know that the first PS3s had lots of hardware issues. Didn't know Sony messed up controllers as well.

In looking at the youtube vids I see that there is a sheet where all the switches make a contact with the controller board. The vids suggest cleaning this contact sheet. I'd call it a contact board but it looks like a sheet of mylar with gold contacts printed or glued onto it. I think my problem is that I actually wore out the little micro switch. I mash my buttons which probably doesn't help. Playing various games for 10-12 hours a week means that I usually wear out a controller every year or two. YMMV

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts