Hocus Pocus magnets not always working

Shearie

Apr 8, 2012
When the Hocus Pocus target has been hit and is currently flashing in non-multiball mode, sometimes the ball will still drain down the outlane. I've never played a real table of Theatre of Magic before but is it supposed to be like this?

Mike Laskey

Apr 6, 2012
When the Hocus Pocus target has been hit and is currently flashing in non-multiball mode, sometimes the ball will still drain down the outlane. I've never played a real table of Theatre of Magic before but is it supposed to be like this?

I have a real TOM table. When the Hocus Pocus feature is active (IIRC it is active for ~15 seconds by default - which can be configured in the setup) then the ball should not drain. Exception: the left magnet is less strong than the right and might not always have the ball locked in a precise position when the magnet is turned off - in these cases the ball might still be wobbling around the wand and can sometimes still drain.

Shearie

Apr 8, 2012
I have a real TOM table. When the Hocus Pocus feature is active (IIRC it is active for ~15 seconds by default - which can be configured in the setup) then the ball should not drain. Exception: the left magnet is less strong than the right and might not always have the ball locked in a precise position when the magnet is turned off - in these cases the ball might still be wobbling around the wand and can sometimes still drain.

Then this is clearly a bug since the magnets not turning on and catching the ball while Hocus Pocus is clearly activated happens quite often to me.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Often times you can hear the magnet turn on after the ball drains....so yeah, it needs some adjustment.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
It seems like the problem comes and goes, at least for me (on 360). Some games the magnets hardly seem to work at all; other games they seem to grab anything that comes remotely near them. Not sure what's going on, but it definitely needs looked at.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I've had the ball pass by the magnets so many times, I don't rely on it ever and am surprised whenever it actually works. That's on the iPad version. On the PS3, I haven't had it work yet. One time, I watched the ball leisurely cross into the outlane while I plainly heard the buzzing of the magnet. So even speed apparently isn't a factor.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It'd be nice to hear a response from Farsight on this.....it's definitely something that needs some attention.

Adam

Apr 5, 2012
For what it's worth, this happens all the time whenever I play the real table :p

Definitely happens far more often on the left drain.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
FarSight needs to adjust the timer on the magnets so that they activate a little faster.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I get this a lot too though I find it's on the right side. If it's bouncing around the vicinity it will catch but straight in will drain every time.

Shearie

Apr 8, 2012
I'm guessing this hasn't been fixed with the latest iOS update? I've only tried ToM for a couple of minutes since the update because I've been spending my time with the new tables.

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
Have they fixed this on the phone versions so far... or at least adressed this problem at all? I really hope they do something about it. Every time I play this table this bug (or whatever it is) starts to annoy me after a while. The magnets just never never work and always activate when it's already too late. As it is this feature is entirely useless.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I think on the left, if the ball makes it past the magnet, the ball saver activates, but that never happens on the right side, just lets it go, unless it's bouncing around the in/outlane

Jay

May 19, 2012
I can definitely hear the magnets activate, but most of the time the ball flies right through them. Or, as others have mentioned, the magnets activate after the ball has already passed by. But either way, they don't seem to be reliable. Maybe the intent was to make them like the real table, when they're also unreliable.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I can definitely hear the magnets activate, but most of the time the ball flies right through them. Or, as others have mentioned, the magnets activate after the ball has already passed by. But either way, they don't seem to be reliable. Maybe the intent was to make them like the real table, when they're also unreliable.
I've played several ToMs over the years and while I can't say they've never missed a ball, their magnets are far more reliable than the ones in TPA.

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
I've had the ball slip past the magnet too many times to count, but I thought it was just that the ball was going too fast for the magnet to take hold. If it's just knocked over there from the bottom bumpers or whatever it usually catches it, but not if it's speeding down from higher up. I have no reference point since I've never played a real table, but sounds like it's a lot more reliable from what you guys say?

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012
I bet they just bought a game with worn out magnets and forgot to replace them before modeling it. Its probably exactly the way their physical game plays. Ive played real machines that went both ways, some would let a ball dribble out and some would pull supersonic drains 6 inches back up the outlane. The way this machine behaves though is about in the bottom 10% of physical tables Ive played. The TOTAN save on the other hand is ruthlessly perfect, it even wastes saves about as often as it makes saves that needed it.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Hocus Pocus magnet not catching ball as it drains

Today I had two drains in a row because the magnets were supposed to be active, but the ball drained normally. The activation sound effects played in each case, it just didn't catch the ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.