Runs like crap on Samsung galaxy 10.1, Galaxy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I know the phone is older and the table is almost two years old but geeze, janky , awful frame rate. I definitely feel bad for android users.

Not really Farsights fault here, other games I tried looked and ran like ass as well. She's getting a new phone, and she hates apple so what should she get that actually runs the game at a solid 60fps with no jank, stutter, or slowdown?

JohninKC

Sep 18, 2012
I have to ask. What rom are you running on the Tab 10.1? I use that as my primary system to play TPA and have never had any issues with it. I should clarify that I'm running a test build of Cyanogenmod 10.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Solid 60fps on my Galaxy S1.

Stock ROM is a pile of garbage. You need to install custom ROM. Its down to priorities that android gives applications, the custom ROMs are optimised for performance whereas stock ROMs are optimised for stability.

karl

May 10, 2012
I have a Samsung Gal Tab 2 (i think) 7" but I only use it when I have to wait for IOS tables because TPA runs really choppy with stuttering ball movement on it. I have not bothered to talk about it because I prefer the 9" IPAD anyway and I got the Android Tablet for free. I always thought it was a cheap tablet and could not handle TPA becuase of that. I am green as hell when it comes to Android but is there something that can be done to speed up the framerate? I use Android 4.0.4. It is easier playing on a 7" when you are traveling

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
Just about any device with a dual-core processor or better (Motorola Droid RAZR, RAZR M, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S III, Note 2, HTC Rezound, HTC Droid DNA, just about anything made in the last year [sorry, most of these are verizon, but the other carriers have similar devices]) should be able to run this game very well. I've played this on a Galaxy Nexus and an S III with amazing results. The Galaxy Tab 2 will handle it very well (shares same CPU/GPU as the Galaxy Nexus) if you root it and install a custom ROM that removes TouchWiz. That thing is a bloated CPU and RAM hog.

Last edited:

Danieru_X

Sep 24, 2012
Just about any device with a dual-core processor or better (Motorola Droid RAZR, RAZR M, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S III, Note 2, HTC Rezound, HTC Droid DNA, just about anything made in the last year [sorry, most of these are verizon, but the other carriers have similar devices]) should be able to run this game very well. I've played this on a Galaxy Nexus and an S III with amazing results. The Galaxy Tab 2 will handle it very well (shares same CPU/GPU as the Galaxy Nexus) if you root it and install a custom ROM that removes TouchWiz. That thing is a bloated CPU and RAM hog.

The game runs very choppy on both my Android galaxy note 1 and galaxy tab 2 10.1. They are running 4.1.2 and 4.1.1 official firmware. Why should I go to all the trouble to root and find a good firmware just to make the game work. I tried this with my note and it still had frame rate issues. Wish far sight could somehow find a way to make the game prioritise the ram or something. The games run fine for about a minute then slow right down. Sad face.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
unfortunately I am doing all that I can as far as prioritizing (not sure what you mean by ram priority, everything meaningful is stored in vram). I set various levels of priority for the multiple threads that are running for the game. I have spent the past year tweaking the engine and adding all sorts of optimizations that will allow even a single core device (nik B and my droid x were my base cases ;) ) to run smoothly. Unfortunately not all devices, roms, etc are optimized by the manufacturer. One day ill get reports that it runs like crap, then the next day after an OTA update they tell me it runs perfectly again. Enough to drive me crazy ;)

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
make sure you aren't getting any news feeds etc. You can test this by putting it in airplane mode. Also kill all background stuff, some people have had news apps, rss feeds, etc running in the back that we cannot control at all.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Ryan, any joys on getting to the bottom of the performance issues on RBION on the N10 (did santa bring you one for xmas?).

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
The game runs very choppy on both my Android galaxy note 1 and galaxy tab 2 10.1. They are running 4.1.2 and 4.1.1 official firmware. Why should I go to all the trouble to root and find a good firmware just to make the game work. I tried this with my note and it still had frame rate issues. Wish far sight could somehow find a way to make the game prioritise the ram or something. The games run fine for about a minute then slow right down. Sad face.

You would be surprised at all the extra junk that a Note is running in the background (a BUNCH of pre-installed carrier applications, on top of all the S Pen stuff, on top of touchwiz, on top of a horribly unoptimized base OS that's 2 versions out of date from a Nexus device or a built-from-source rom) and a tab 2 is running (Touchwiz in tablet mode, on top of a horribly unoptimized base OS that's *3* versions behind the Android head...)

The Galaxy Tab 2 uses a Texas Instruments OMAP 4 4460 (exact same cpu used in my Galaxy Nexus) and there's no reason it shouldn't run properly, with all the garbage removed of course. I can play this game perfectly fine on my old Tegra 2 based Galaxy Tab 10.1 (first generation) and it's got a MUCH weaker CPU/GPU, just can't do it on the factory firmware. It's a well known fact that TouchWiz is a very heavy beast, same with HTC's Sense UI. You can't kill it (it handles your launcher, status bar, app drawer, etc...) and you can't touch the source to make it more optimized (only the android base OS and the device kernel is required to be open source)... all you can do is remove it. Fortunately for you, both devices are very easy to root, and very easy to find and install a custom rom on. If you have questions, just PM me.

The Note, however, actually has a more powerful CPU and roughly equivalent GPU to my nexus. The Note carries either a 1.4ghz ARM9 dual-core (Samsung called it the "Exynos 4 Dual", if your model number is GT-N7000) or a 1.5ghz Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 (SGH-i717). That should easily be able to keep up with my nexus, which is only clocked at 1.2.

Last edited:

Danieru_X

Sep 24, 2012
You would be surprised at all the extra junk that a Note is running in the background (a BUNCH of pre-installed carrier applications, on top of all the S Pen stuff, on top of touchwiz, on top of a horribly unoptimized base OS that's 2 versions out of date from a Nexus device or a built-from-source rom) and a tab 2 is running (Touchwiz in tablet mode, on top of a horribly unoptimized base OS that's *3* versions behind the Android head...)

The Galaxy Tab 2 uses a Texas Instruments OMAP 4 4460 (exact same cpu used in my Galaxy Nexus) and there's no reason it shouldn't run properly, with all the garbage removed of course. I can play this game perfectly fine on my old Tegra 2 based Galaxy Tab 10.1 (first generation) and it's got a MUCH weaker CPU/GPU, just can't do it on the factory firmware. It's a well known fact that TouchWiz is a very heavy beast, same with HTC's Sense UI. You can't kill it (it handles your launcher, status bar, app drawer, etc...) and you can't touch the source to make it more optimized (only the android base OS and the device kernel is required to be open source)... all you can do is remove it. Fortunately for you, both devices are very easy to root, and very easy to find and install a custom rom on. If you have questions, just PM me.

The Note, however, actually has a more powerful CPU and roughly equivalent GPU to my nexus. The Note carries either a 1.4ghz ARM9 dual-core (Samsung called it the "Exynos 4 Dual", if your model number is GT-N7000) or a 1.5ghz Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 (SGH-i717). That should easily be able to keep up with my nexus, which is only clocked at 1.2.

I will give a CFW another go, not sure if it will fix it but I will give it a go on the tab 2. Fingers crossed.

PS thanks Ryan Routon - you're work is what makes many happy.

karl

May 10, 2012
Thanks for all the advice. Got a better picture of how it supposed to run. I will try to free up some memory. To Ryan: I am very sorry if what I wrote looked like an attack on your fine work on the android platform. You do excellent work and all your communication on this forum is very much appreciated. (I was only curious about if my device was crap ;)) It must be hell to have so many different phones and tablets running under the same platform and getting the game to run smooth on all of them.

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
Runs well on my daughters Samsung galaxy note 1, however, FLIPPER LAG!!!!! It's totally unplayable. So it the new revenge of the Rob o bot.
How weird. Software updated, nothing else running in the background. Any help greatly appreciated.

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
The dangers of buying a non-nexus device is slow crap ware. Return and buy a Nexus 7 or Nexus 10

It's not as simple as that, it's her phone, and she doesn't play pinball. Both games I mentioned run fantastically well on my Sony xperia T.
I posted to see if anyone else has this issue.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Where can I download the Crap app? I'm curious how it'll run on my tablet.

night

May 18, 2012
Hi Ryan, what about the ball stutter problems on the iPad2 iOS6 and iPad mini. This problem has been around for months and many tables are hardly playable... tables I, and others, have payed for.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
no clue I'm afraid, im android only. Sounds like your device is now running at 30 frames a second for some reason. Easy way (since james rarely checks the boards) is to email support.

night

May 18, 2012
no clue I'm afraid, im android only. Sounds like your device is now running at 30 frames a second for some reason. Easy way (since james rarely checks the boards) is to email support.

Thank you for your reply. Sure, I will email support.
If, by any change, you will ever see James, be sure to tell him as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts