Why do so many like Space Shuttle?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
In a lot of pinball forums and boards, there seems to be a lot of people who like the Space Shuttle table. Why is that?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Probably because it's fun and easy....lots of multiball action....and it just has that 80's charm.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
It's a pretty simple table rules-wise, multiball is a breeze to start and includes an automatic drain shield so that it doesn't end immediately, right outlane has a gate blocking it that starts off active and is easy to reactivate, left outlane is fairly tame, etc.

In short, it's a very forgiving table, whereas some of the tables from the same time period can be very cruel. (Pinbot, for instance, has an annoying habit of rocketing the ball straight from the bumpers to the left outlane with little chance to react.)

HeYjOe

Feb 20, 2012
I find it relaxing, very clean layout, easy rules.....multiball real easy, I even love it when the ball doesn't have the speed to launch & the words "Launch Aborted" ring out:D

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I always loved it. The table that was responsible for starting the pinball frenzy in my life. I have always appreciated the multiball, the table is rather fast overall and the various shots and goals, while simple, are very fun. Plus it has a giant space shuttle on it and that is in itself quite awesome.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I also like the advanced shooting of the tunnel drop targets, via the right side TLE standups. It's the way on iOS to achieve high scores (but may not work that good anymore on PC).
Through TPA I found a new appreciation for pre-DMD style tables, and Space Shuttle is surely one of those tables that pulled me in!

invitro

May 4, 2012
Space Shuttle is a massively historic table. It marks the beginning of the surprising (even shocking) beginning of the resurgence of pinball after video games (arcade and home) seemed to have killed it. Check out the production numbers for the machines the two or three years before it if you don't believe me (or if I'm wrong). It's also in my mind the first "modern" table and the first table of the Golden Age of Pinball. I think it's also a very fun table... it has a simple design and rules, but the playfield leads to fast and frantic gameplay, which is one of the definers of modern pinball. I played the real thing quite a bit in the late 1980's.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
I always liked this table. When I was going to arcades in the 80's almost all of my focus was on playing video games and ignoring pinball (a regret now) but once Space Shuttle was in the arcades I was playing that one quite often. It was fast, awesome sounds, multiball could be frequently triggered and the theme was perfect for kids. Back in the 80's NASA and the space launches/missions in particular were such a huge deal in the US.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
I think it's also the first pinball game with a playfield toy.
An attention-grabbing extravagence at the time.

invitro

May 4, 2012
The ramp was actually relatively new, too. A ramp over the playfield, I mean. I don't know if there were many of those between Xenon and Space Shuttle?

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Because it totally rules imo. The sounds are bad ass in person, a historic and fun table not too easy. I am biased in all honesty, this was the table that captured my attention and imagination as a child and most likely the catalyst for my love of pinball in general.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It's generally known as the table that saved Williams. Had it tanked, we would have lost Williams long before Pinball2000 did them in.

That being said, I don't really like it. I enjoy flow tables, and this one is decidedly an aim and shoot. I played it in the arcades, didn't like it much then either. Go figure.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Space Shuttle brings that gotta-try-again compulsion. You know that THIS time you're gonna get it right, you'll catch the balls and shoot smartly, you'll nudge out of that right outlane, you'll get multiball and pound that stop-and-score over and over for millions.

Of course, you won't, you'll miss and flail and drain like always, but that doesn't stop you from knowing you will succeed anyway.

Compare to, say, Genie. You DON'T get that feeling of "I know I'll get the extra balls this time". You just know the table's going to f--- you over again.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
I always liked this table. When I was going to arcades in the 80's almost all of my focus was on playing video games and ignoring pinball (a regret now) but once Space Shuttle was in the arcades I was playing that one quite often. It was fast, awesome sounds, multiball could be frequently triggered and the theme was perfect for kids. Back in the 80's NASA and the space launches/missions in particular were such a huge deal in the US.
-------
I sure will love it if the USA gets back to the often space flights again 'soon'. This century is sad & pitiful (so far) eh.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts