Lighting

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Is it just me or does it look like the lighting on the unreleased tables (on consoles that is) look VASTLY improved over the older ones?? Granted I'm taking this from screenshots and limited videos but it looks like Farsight has stepped their game up! The inlane lights and inserts actually have a glow to them. Sections of the tables flash to emulate flashers, and the actual flashers are reflecting and giving off that glow around them.

EDIT: Actually even the iOS version of STTNG looks spectacular compared to the other ones, and even looks better than most of the PS tables..

Way to go Farsight. I hope you go back and improve the lighting on the older tables as well, hint hint...

Last edited:

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Yeah. So far based just on looks and screenshots they look far more like they are giving them the care they deserve. At least from a art standpoint. Hoping they play as good as they are starting to look. And pleeeeeease do whatever it takes to fix those old uglies!

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
They could be PC builds though. Xbox might not look as good and PS3 does lighting differently.

AfM definitely I'm noticing great night time lighting. As amazing as it looks, I still want the daytime option so we can appreciate the colorful artwork of these tables.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Oh my God those ps3 shots look incredible. Way better than the promo vid of 360 version. Wow they really upped Thier game since taxi and HD were disastrous..

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
If they would give us PS3 owners a gamma slider as well, pinball life would be even better. A lot of people (me included) have reported that the playfields looks too dark on their CRTs. I understand that it's not an issue in the Farsight office but a simple gamma slider would be a huge help.

I recently played "Black Hole" on my wife's Android smartphone and was surprised about all the details. On the PS3 the game truely deserves its name and is very black...

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
That's true of alot of tables. I appreciate the darker console lighting because I grew up playing pinball in dimly lit arcades, but it's true so much of the detail is lost in them. Having the bright , colorful mobile versions and the dark, dynamic console versions is the best way to have it all until the gamma slider is introduced.

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
The new tables look amazing in stills, but it still bothers me that there is no decay on any of the flashers or insert lights- they just appear to blink on completely and then off completely. I think if they just added even a couple of frames of decay to them, the light shows wouldn't feel soo much more natural and not so staccato. I'm sure this has probably been posted before, but here's a cool video of a board that smoothes out blinking on LEDs on real tables- same concept though:
watch it in 1080p! to really see the difference

Last edited:

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Interesting, I didn't know they had boards to do that. MUCH better with. And you picked one of the best tables to demonstrate with ;)

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I think the latest screenshots being used may well be from the Xbox version. Certainly the shader used on the ball itself looks a lot more like what I'm seeing on the 360, which looks a lot better than the PS3 version.

Also, note the difference between the glowing lights:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I'd agree the ball looks better on the Xbox but the overall color on the PS3 version is a lot better.

Tabe

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I'm no Xbox or PS3 fanboy. I don't know for sure that those 'XBOX?' screens are definitely from the Xbox version. I just know that the ball shader looks a lot more like what I'm seeing on the Xbox.

Agree about the red-shift, that's easily resolved though. Colour balance looks better on the PS3 screen.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I wonder if they'll ever implement GI that actually turns on and off....

Maybe with the next gen consoles but I doubt we'll see it with the current ones. Lighting that actually turns off to where the screen is black would be AWESOME!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.