Thinking about getting a Star Trek: TNG Pinball Machine

Siddeous

Dec 31, 2012
I have been thinking about getting a pinball machine for a while now and after one too many games of Medieval Madness on my Vita during my lunch break I think it's time to own one. I wouldn't be the only one in my family that owns a Pinball Machine, my Aunt owns a Data East Star Wars Machine. I had a conversation with her over the summer when we brought the Machine down into town for service I told her if I was to own a Machine it would have to be a Star Trek: TNG. I'm a major Trekkie and it would go great in my one room with all my autographs, memorabilia and my replica/knockoff of the Sword of Kahless.

A vendor in town happens to have a Star Trek TNG and I plan on going to the location where it's deployed at on Tuesday and play a good amount of games on it to really get a feel for it. I've been playing Star Trek: TNG on my phone and just downloaded it on my Ipad over the weekend and all that has done has increased my desire to own one. Once it's available on PS3/Vita it'll be downloaded on that platform too.

From what I have seen on the message boards several people have a Pinball Machine if not multiple ones. I have been an enthusiast of the game since I was little and I have learned more about Pinball Machines since my Aunt got her Star Wars Machine back in 2006 but in the end I have never owned one and really don't know to look for when buying one.

When I talked to the vendor back in August they wanted $3800 for it and I thought it was a bit high. They offered a T2 for $2200 but I have played enough games of T2 lately and while it was okay it not one I would like to own. Over the months I have been watching Ebay and there has not been a TNG pinball that has not been listed/sold for under $4000. The closest listing to me on Craigslist was one in Reno a couple of months back and they wanted 6k for theirs. After the last few months of research I'm starting to think that while still high it's better than what I have seen.

I don't want to be taken by the vendor and I am going to have one my buddies (he has several tables himself) come with me to really look over the Machine and see if I can get the price down a little bit and/or or increase the warranty period. Several of you guys own one so what kind of things I should watch out for and what they are wanting is that really a good price provided if the unit is in good condition and they service it before delivery?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
There are alot of variables when it comes to pricing. Have your freind show you the ins and outs and maintenance of a pin. If you learn how to setup and breakdown a machine you might save some money not having it deliverd. 1 is never enough:)

Tom

Sep 9, 2012
warranty period? will you actually get a warranty period on a pinball machine from the 90s? and sttng is known for being a pretty difficult machine to keep in i 100% working condition.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
well skillshot and karl our the resdisdent new pin owners list, i know an_ox owns a tng in the uk hes rather shy tho message him and im sure he will reply for any cavets with tng

Siddeous

Dec 31, 2012
Oh yeah i am going to have my buddy come with me. Its deployed at a pizzeria about 20 minutes away from my house. From what I saw some companies cover them for only 90 days. Im going to have my buddy look at it and help me determine its overall conditon. Doesnt help any thay he doesn't like the company but they are really 1 of 2 companies in town that have pinball machines.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Only things I can say are:

1) Check for the williams dot (it's the dot that shows after the credits - e.g., instead of saying "Credits 0" or "Free Play", it'll say "Credits 0." or "Free Play.". If you play the iOS version, practically all Williams tables have the dot. I think it's only MB or so that doesn't. Android and other platforms I've seen don't have the dot). The dot indicates the machine has detected a problem - get into the operator menu and see the test report.

2) Take the glass off and run through the switch tests, especially if any are indicated. If you want, play through the pro mode of STTNG on TPA to get familiar. Roll the ball around to get a sense of how it rolls through the playfield. Bring a clean pinball or two - if the unit isn't shopped and the balls are cruddy, don't use those! Though, at the prices they're charging, they really ought to have shopped it.

3) Check lamps - because those are things you'll need to replace. Even if it was shopped.

4) Open the backbox. Inspect the WPC board ESPECIALLY around the batteries. If there's battery gunk on the board, this may mean having to change the WPC board. Points if they took the battery holder out and put it on a remote holder

5) Inspect the board connectors - check for burned connectors. Check the connectors after you played many games on it - they should be warm, but not hot. Hot ones indicates connectors that may fail. Also check the connectors - they may be slightly discolored, but should have no obvious signs of burning or wide scale discoloration (the connector may yellow due to age though, but it should be relatively even).

6) Inspect the boards for discoloration or burn marks. Burned out components or overheating components will require repair. Small discoloration is OK (natural), but large areas of char or large areas of discoloration around components, not so much.

7) Inspect the transformer for the same reason - burned components are nasty, and a burned transformer doubly so because it's a very critical part of the whole thing and expensive. Again, small discoloration OK, large amounts of it, not so much. Especially if there are clear burn marks.

8) Check the wiring all around - make sure they're routed nicely and not pinched and not burned or discolored/melted. Likewise, while checking coils, ensure they're the same as well.

TO prepare yourself, avail yourself to resources - TPA, the manuals, etc. You may even want to google the table to see if there are any issues to be aware of that you should inspect - broken parts, common failure parts, etc.

Siddeous

Dec 31, 2012
I am going to actually go look at it tonight. With it being deployed on location I won't get to do as much physical inspection of the unit as I would like. After a lot of games on it and if it looks like it's in good condition I'll proceed with having them bring the machine back to their office for a thorough inspection. I got a quote of $3895 shopped and delivered. Pending on the condition and after inspections I make an offer to them and see if they'll take less. Got a notepad ready with a bunch of quarters and a camera. I

I have seen it before in person but the problem when I saw it I was driving and I saw it in the back of their truck on the way back to the shop. Kinda hard to tell it's condition. Was funny that in August when I saw the unit while driving it was a matter of days after I helped bring down the Data East Star Wars my aunt has and that whole conversation on owning one myself.

I have been playing the pro mode on my ipad lately.

Siddeous

Dec 31, 2012
Me and my buddies went to look at it on location tonight and made some observations on the table. It was at a corner of the pizza joint and had a time crisis next to it.

Starboard Bussard collector light out intermittent issues.
Right shield indicator light visible evidence of patch work
Left flipper has a small crack on it.
1/4" dent near starboard nacelle.
Delta Quadrant ramp wall looks like it's been dremmeled
Aesthetic side graphics broken left and right side.
Klingon Bird of Prey starboard cannon broken
Ball detection issues present
Williams dot present
Cannon launchers need maintenance
Missing screws. Behind Delta Quadrant ramp, front of machine where rules are posted
Pinballs are worn and are need of replacement
wear on the kickback and neutral zone drop.
left rear bumper light out.
Trigger need of maintenance

Some issues can be fixed with it being shopped but there are issues like the obvious patch work on the right shield indicator hurt the value. I'll still need to do a visual close up inspection of the play field, inside the cabinet and the back before I make any definite decision but in it's current state I don't think 3895 is reasonable. Going to start with the range of 2400-3000.

Last edited:

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Well, part of the problem is you need to see its condition AFTER it's shopped. About the only thing that can't be shopped directly would be art damage - backglass, cabinet, playfield - they can be restored though on a good shop job (maybe).

But burnt lamps, dirty playfields, sticky things are all supposed to be fixed in a shop. In fact, ask them what kind of shop job they're doing - just a quick "touch me up" or a proper teardown shop where lamps get replaced, wires inspected, full rubber replacement, etc. And if they plan on just cleaning or tearing down the playfield to the wood and doing a full cleaning that way. And maybe they're replacing the electronics with ones that aren't so worn (unlikely). Also they may fix the broken parts on the playfield with replacements (this can be somewhat pricey).

After all, $2000 is perfectly reasonable for a full top to bottom rebuild and overhaul (and maybe a few hundred more for artwork touchups) shop - mostly because of the labor. Which may also include redoing the wiring harnesses and such. If they do this, ask if you can have a look at the old harnesses because you want to see the condition - if there are burn marks on the old one, maybe the fault is still there.

Heck, maybe they're replacing the coils and all the other wear parts with new ones during their shop.

Of course, it's unreasonable if all they're doing is taking the glass off, replacing the balls, and wiping some cleaner around the open parts of the playfield.

And yes, you were very good to note the broken playfield parts because it can influence the shop price - getting all that fixed with new replacement parts can easily be $500+ with shipping and all that.

So make sure you find out what their shop work entails. And if possible, see what other pins they have that come out of shop to take a look at the quality of the work. You won't see your machine, but you'll get an idea as to how they do their work. If the machines they call shopped still look like there's wear on them, no, it ain't worth $4000. But if it looks brand spanking new like it was just unboxed, OK, there's something there.

And ask what comes with the machine - do they still have the manual? Schematics? All the other paperwork and spare parts? This stuff often gets tossed on a shelf and forgotten and lost, and you'll want replacements (originals can be hundred dollars or more with shipping) just to have it complete. If you're lucky, they'll have tossed that extras and manuals right behind the cashbox in the table. But if not, ... well... make sure you knock at least a couple hundred dollars off the price for that! (Yes, I know you can get it for free online, but you want the original.)

ClaudeHenrySmoot

Apr 27, 2012
Isn't STTNG notorious for being a tough pin to own (from a maintenance standpoint)? I recall hearing/reading a story once - can't recall the source/details... someone went to a pinball show and was getting something autographed by Steve Ritchie and they mentioned they owned a STTNG, and Steve's reply was, "does it work?" LOL - classic Steve Ritchie.

Siddeous

Dec 31, 2012
TNG Pinball photos

I posted all the photos I took of the Machine yesterday. I included photos of the damaged plastic parts on the sides, the Damaged Delta Quadrant ramp, Damaged BOP and the patchwork on the shield indicator.

Siddeous

Dec 31, 2012
No. I sent an email saying that in its current condition that 2500 is the max i would offer them. Mentioned if it was fully shopped and the repairs done along with replacing the bulbs with leds it would i consider their price. Its going to be rotated back to their shop where ill be able to inspect the unit in greater detail. There ill be able to discuss what they do to shop the unit, discuss repairs and a price that works for both of us. Its going to have to be looking like new before i give them a dime.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Make sure while you're there to inspect their other work and see what to expect. They may promise the moon, but if their work still sees machines leave the shop like that, well... (and yes, some places "shop" like that to keep machines making money). Maybe ask if they have someone buying a pin to be able to see what the finished result might be of a top to bottom shop.

Though, I think $2500 might be a little high in its present condition - playable, but... well...

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
If you are a trekkie and you want a pinball then that machine is awsum.

But i would wait a while, cause rumours are sayong Stern will come with a new star trek pin in 2013.

Make a descision when that one is out. Would be difficult to beat the old star trek pin, but you never know. Plus the new one is..... New.

Tom

Sep 9, 2012
If you are a trekkie and you want a pinball then that machine is awsum.

But i would wait a while, cause rumours are sayong Stern will come with a new star trek pin in 2013.

Make a descision when that one is out. Would be difficult to beat the old star trek pin, but you never know. Plus the new one is..... New.
Yes and its rumoured to be a steve ritchie game, so it will probably have a fast and fun layout.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Two problems.

1) It's based on the latest Star Trek movie (the rebooted one). It's already contentious enough. (It doesn't help that I think it's an odd...)

2) It's Stern. As much as I appreciate their being the only original manufacturer left, their tables still don't have that solid feeling that Williams tables had.

So if you're a fan of TNG, you'll get STTNG regardless.

Siddeous

Dec 31, 2012
Two problems.

1) It's based on the latest Star Trek movie (the rebooted one). It's already contentious enough. (It doesn't help that I think it's an odd...)

2) It's Stern. As much as I appreciate their being the only original manufacturer left, their tables still don't have that solid feeling that Williams tables had.

So if you're a fan of TNG, you'll get STTNG regardless.

Couldn't have said it any better! Don't view JJ's reboot and sequals as canon so Ill stick with a TNG pinball anyday.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts