Bug Ball Flies Through Flippers

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Does it happen on multiple games or one in particular? I know there is an issue with the lower playfield flippers in Black Hole.

RKade8583

Apr 5, 2012
I've had that one too but it's on all of them. It's like the physics engine can't keep up and says "to hell with it"

Multiball and those quick ricochet things are hectic! :)

FurVid

Feb 20, 2012
Does seem to happen more than in the past. I'll try to execute a slap save and the ball just appears to pass through the second flipper. I'd record it and slow it down, but I'm afraid of what I'll see.

RKade8583

Apr 5, 2012
Someone seconding a bug report always makes me feel better. I'm not insane. My eye didn't play tricks on me. IT HAPPENED!

A vid would probably help the devs a lot. Wish I knew how to make one.

unclewilly

Feb 20, 2012
Probably a collision issue in the physics engine.
Visual pinball had it for years, they fixed it with the downing speed

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
Well, Zen Pinball still has it, especially when it comes to extra flippers.

It'll be interesting to see if the bug still occurs on the PS3 or if it's just a 360-thing.

RKade8583

Apr 5, 2012
Trust me, Mike, if I knew how I would. If you ever have free time, you can test it by getting multiball and just wailing on the flippers... or wait for the ball to come screaming down from above, hit one flipped flipper on the edge, and crash through the other flipper long enough to send it down when the other flipper is released. Beyond words, I can't do squat unfortunately.

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
I haven't come across this on PS3. Did notice the ball coming back into play on the lower playfield in BH after passing the flippers.

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
Now that I played much more I can say that it's definitely happening with the extra flipper on Ripley. When the ball comes from out of the lane above it doesn't seem to collide with it. It that cases it looks and feels like the flipper is 5 cm above the playfield or something.

gypsyshred

Apr 12, 2012
It's happened to me. Its tough to reproduce, but it happens when the ball is going a million miles an hour, seemed like a noclip type bug. No pattern noticed as far as tables.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
I've only seen the ball outright pass through flippers under normal circumstances once or twice, but I have noticed that it seems to be impossible to execute a slap save. For those unfamiliar with the term, it's when the ball is coming down close to SDTM (straight down the middle) and you hit the flipper it's closest to and then quickly hit the other flipper. The idea is to nick the ball with the one flipper just enough to push it over to get a shot with the other. This works on pretty much every other pinball simulation I've played.

In TPA, the first part of the slap save seems to be fine (meaning, you can slightly hit the ball with the tip of the flipper and push it toward the other flipper), but the ball will simply pass through the other flipper every time if it's raised. It's as though the physics engine can't handle contact with one flipper and then the other so quickly, so it just ignores it. It's gotten to the point where I've trained myself to never try the slap save, and only try to hit the one flipper and hope it moves it over enough to contact the stationary flipper.

In such a phenomenal sim in other ways, this is quite the jarring bug. I assume FarSight's testers have the ability to set up "ball generators" at particular places and velocity to be able to test this.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I can confirm this does happen on the PS3 version.
I reported this a few days ago on Farsight's FB page, but they never commented on it.

This has happened to me several times on TOTAN on the right flipper.

I NEVER had this happen to me on WPHOF or ZEN on the PS3 though.
It's very sad to see all of these bugs popping up on TBA.

I am thinking if they didn't do so many ports (iOS, Mac, Android, etc..) the console ports would have been much more polished.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.