General PS3 Impressions Thread

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The PS3 release is nearly upon us! Have fun, everyone, and come back to post some impressions once your fingers get sore :)

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Got my Troll Spray ready...

Troll-Spray-10-25-2010.jpg

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Plays great! Lighting is beautiful! Im so happy!
Oh, c'mon now. Post some screenshots so us Xbox 360 players can become green with envy! (And so that when I try Pin Wiz's suggestion of tweaking the TV settings, I know what I'm aiming for.)

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
I can confirm it's playable with an EU account... Very first impressions: the lighting is very much like the updated lighting video.. the graphics look amazing!
Tried every table for a few minutes, the physics feel a lot more like the real thing than WPHOF. Back to the game...

Will try to do a few screenshots later on!

thetrout

Apr 10, 2012
Looks great, plays great. Much better, IMO, than on the Android.

I see that the Day / Night lighting option isn't yet available, though. Sad, I was looking forward to it.

EDIT: Another note: it's sad that the PS3 sucks so hard at anisotropic filtering. When the camera pans around the game before starting, you can see that the playfield is beautiful and high resolution, but when the game starts and the artwork is at an angle, it gets pixelated and blurry. Not the devs fault, of course. That's all on the Playstation's head.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I have the 360 version too, so I'll see how the lighting compares once the download finishes (my connection is pretty slow, but it's almost done).

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Also, the filsize is about 30MB bigger than the 360 version, so that's a good sign.

EDIT: and of course I have company come over before I can play it. It never fails, lol.....

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
Hah, unlocked all the standard goals for TOM and almost scored one billion points on my first try. I think I love that table already. *g*

Can't complain about the physics so far, on first impressions I like how the ball moves. It's definitely different to the PHOF Williams Collection, can't tell exactly yet what the difference is though. But I for sure have to learn playing TOTAN completely new because I'm struggling now somewhat with the table. (It's the only one in the collection which I played in RL... but I can't tell for sure if it plays exactly the same as it does here because the table I played a couple of times had seen better days to put it lightly.)

The lighting that seems to be so important to most here looks alright to me... but then again I don't care too much about it. What's important to me is the gameplay, and so far I have nothing to complain about.

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
Also, the filsize is about 30MB bigger than the 360 version, so that's a good sign.

EDIT: and of course I have company come over before I can play it. It never fails, lol.....

I'm shopping for a Prom dress with my stepdaughter, I may never be able to play this again.

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
Lighting is soooooo good on PS3. Black Hole actually looks like you're in space (dunno how to word this right) compared to the PSP version.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Initial thoughts. First time playing TPA. Coming from Zen/Marvel I have to say I wasn't impressed with the ball physics....... at first. It took me a while to get used to how the ball handled and I got frustrated when I would lose my balls to the outlanes. (Nudge is you friend here) once I got used to Nudge the tables felt better and I was completing most of the missions for every table.

Some annoying things:
- it seems the flippers are limp the ball heads down the flipper so fast when you get a chance to pin the ball that trying to shoot at targets on the far sides of the tables hard to pull off.
- Some times the balls feels really floaty
- there should be some restart feature like zen it's annoying that you have to exit then start from the table selection every-time you finish and want to play again.

Pros -
It's great that I will be able to experience many of the classic tables from the big pinball makers- Brings back the nostalgia when I went to visit arcades back in the 80's
The price of the title is great and looking forward to more tables. More tables ASAP

Fav table so far is

1 Theater of Magic. Great balance of missions and how to accomplish them the table feels very good. as the 'history' stated it's a huge fan favorite and they are right.
2. Ripley's very unique table. It was the only 1 that I could keep the ball in play confusing where to shoot targets but then again this is the first (and not the last time) I played TPA
3. Arabian Nights - First table I played this is where I though I made a mistake when I bought this. Then I played it after all the other tables and found it to be very good table once I got used to the ball physics and Nudge being you friend.
4. Black Hole - this table feels really slow. What's great about for me is that you need to be accurate to hit targets. I like games that have that sort of skill requirement.
5. Medieval Madness - What you say? I know that the table isn't out yet but I'm looking forward to it once it's released.

Overall, If you are a fan of pinball, TBA is a must buy. It is quite different from ZEN if you are used to those tables - and that's a good thing. With both companies bringing out tables left and right it's great to be a pinball fan.

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
What a game this is!! Have been playing the PS3 version for a couple of hours now and I love it! The graphics are amazing, every table looks very sharp and detailed like the PS3 new lighting shots that were released earlier. It's so easy now to see what's going on. No slow downs at all (you can switch between 2 cameras in multiball btw). The ball looks amazing as well!
And I really like the physics. The balls feel heavier but not too much, shots are predictable, and what I like best is that when you're too late with the flippers the ball sort of rolls off it.
Only minor things I can think of is the DMD's. They look a bit low res and not up to par with the tables. And the menu's could be better, but those are really minor things.
With all the negative feedback and bugs reported on other versions this really looks and plays great.. Farsight really did a great job! Now more tables please...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.