Movies I saw in 2012 (like you really care!)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I don't usually run my mouth off on Facebook, but every year I do this. Thought I'd share here, cause if there's one think I like talking about more than pinball, it's movies. 62 new to me movies I saw this year. Of that, only 10 got the theatrical visit by me. 27 were from 2011, and 1 was from 2010 (where I should have left it). Better viewing year than last, still need to get to the theater more though, cause it does make a difference in appreciation. Anyways, let's dive right in, eh?

Most liked that I saw in 2012

-The Raid: Redemption
-Cabin in the Woods
-Avengers*
-MIB 3
-Prometheus 3D*
-Dark Knight Rises*
-Bourne Legacy*
-The Hobbit*
-A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas

If you are an action junky, The Raid is hands down the movie you need to see. Puts everything else to shame. And if you're wondering what the * means, it's to denote what I saw in a theater.

Better than average that I saw in 2012

-Chronicle
-Hunger Games
-The Three Stooges
-Looper
-Skyfall*
-Wreck-It Ralph 3D*
-The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
-Hugo 3D*
-The Immortals
-Rise of the Planet of the Apes
-Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules

Yes, Wimpy Kid is on here because this series is genuinely funny, despite being a kid’s movie. And please give The Immortals a watch. It is beautiful and highly entertaining.

And I'm as shocked at Three Stooges being on here as you are. What can I say, the boy and I laughed.

Hated that I saw in 2012

-Haywire (so boring)
-Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (hate the directors, and then there’s Nic Cage)
-Wrath of the Titans (boring)
-Snow White and the Huntsman* (last 3rd is completely laughable)
-Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Pt 1 (as if I’d like this)
-Footloose (totally unnecessary)
-Tree of Life (nothing but 2nd unit b roll)
-Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows (disappointingly boring)

I really despise Tree of Life, so much that now I don’t want to give The Master a chance. And the only reason I watch those stupid Twilight movies is cause my wife watches them, and I can’t resist sitting down so I can mock.

Everything else I saw in 2012

-The Grey*
-This Means War
-Tim & Eric’s Billion Dollar Movie
-John Carter*
-Get the Gringo
-21 Jump Street
-American Reunion
-Safe
-Battleship
-The Expendables 2
-Premium Rush
-The Adventures of Tin Tin
-Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
-Puss In Boots
-Real Steel
-The Ides of March
-Moneyball
-Drive
-Colombiana
-Friends With Benefits
-Winnie the Pooh
-Bad Teacher
-The Hangover Pt 2
-Paul
-The Lincoln Lawyer
-I Am Number Four
-30 Minutes of Less
-Warrior
-Killer Elite
-The Descendants
-In Time
-Anonymous
-Young Adult
-Never Let Me Go

Special Awards for 2012...

Movie I’m glad I turned off 30 minutes into: Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
Movie I wished I turned off 30 mintutes into: Tree of Life
Movie I knew was gonna suck but watched anyways: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Movie I thought was gonna suck but didn’t: Chronicle
Why I don’t watch more small budgeted or indie films: Never Let Me Go, The Descendants
Why I do continue to watch small budgeted or indie films: Young Adult, The Raid
Movie I honestly couldn’t remember watching: Killer Elite
The “curse you, shakey-cam!” award: The Bourne Legacy
The “maybe I just don’t get it” award: Drive
Movie I could have immediately watched a 2nd time: Prometheus

Tripredacus

Sep 9, 2012
I'd break the forum if I tried to list all the movies I saw in 2012. We're already 3 days into 2013 and I've watched 5 movies already. :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Flight was one of the best movies of the year, and I'm not even that much of a Denzel fan. Don't let the trailer mislead you though: it's much more about his screwed up life than it is about a plane crash.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
In the last few weeks I've watched, Demolition Man, Judge Dredd, Independence Day, Water World... can anyone see a pattern here?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
In the last few weeks I've watched, Demolition Man, Judge Dredd, Independence Day, Water World... can anyone see a pattern here?

Yes, apart from ID4, they sucked! Hahahaha.

Keep in mind, my list is of movies I hadn't seen before.

And I gotta say, much as the rest of the movie blows, the make-up job they did in Judge Dredd with the mutant guy, and that robot are shear brilliance. I will gladly watch that portion of the movie anytime, cause it puts a big ol' smile on my face. CG doesn't hold a candle to practical effects like that.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Didn't see many movies this year. Hunger Games (good), Avengers (awesome), Prometheus (had promise but ultimately didn't deliver), Dark Knight Rises (ditto), Cloud Atlas (awesome), Skyfall (really good), Hobbit (really good).

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Damn I seen almost all of those. YES! even wimpy kid :p Tell you Netfixed these or atleast most of them.

Yep, NetFlix or RedBox. Now and then Dish will put Starz up for free for a weekend, so I'll DVR anything I'm remotely interested in. That's what explains Ghost Rider. I do NetFlix for one month of 2 discs at a time. In that month, I can usually tear through most of what I REALLY wanna see, then I cancel and wait 3 months and do it all again.

Before the kid, I'd see upwards of 50 movies in the theater, often doing a little double feature action. I also used to buy a bunch on DVD. I think I've bought maybe 4 this past year. I'm becoming a jaded viewer and I hate that.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Cool thread:

At the Theatre:
American Pie Reunion
The Three Stooges
The Avengers

On Blu Ray or DVD:
My Weekend with Marilyn
Redline
Jaws
The Conspirators
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Batman : the Dark Knight Returns part one
The Legend of 1900

The movie I'd reccomend to a friend: The Legend of 1900 , Tim Roth puts in a performance as a prodigy pianist who spends his life (literally) aboard a luxury liner bringing immigrants to America .

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

Got Batman DKR, Prometheus, American Pie TR & new copys of 2 old favourites 'Explorers' and 'Harold and Maude' on dvd for Xmas.

Apart from that we have Sky Movies, so tend to watch the premier each week.
If we get to a theatre (approx 4 times 2012) it tends to be a family outing, last one being 'Thomas The Tank Engine - the blue Mountain Mystery' which had incredible depth, and displayed a range I didn't know Thomas was capable of!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I was watching the movies of the licensed pinball tables we had played, its kinda fun finding the sound bytes from in the pinball tables in the movies :p

Good thing you hadn't watched Johnny Mnemonic...that thing is painful to sit through! Actually, Flinstones would probably be worse, but I've never subjected myself to that bit of torture.

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Wasnt Waterworld the movie equivalent to standing in a shower ripping up £50 notes?

Anyhow, so far in 2013 watched all 4 alien movies on bluray, both AVP's and T2.

You can tell there's a sale on

Love the award nominations Chris...

My award for What's the Point? Goes to the entire Twilight series.
For Hype Hype and more Hype, but still delivers award, goes to Quentin Tarantino
Make Another Please award goes to Ridley Scott
Will he Won't he award is for Arnold Schwarzenegger for T5
Sort the licensing for that award is for whichever law firm wants a buttload of cash

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts