How possible would it be for TPA to make CAPCOM's "Pinball Magic"

SilverBallFiend

Dec 18, 2012
Love this table and would be great to see it on TPA.

image-40.jpg

image-26.jpg

Pin I would love to own.

This video shows off some of the toys as well if you are unfamiliar with the pin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA_zjFaChAw

Few vids of the pin with LEDs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZoOeIefzY and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weXYQqEVHYw

Last edited:

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Well I don't know if there is more to it but they have license agreements for the big 4 pinball companies. After more and more companies dropped out of the pinball game the big four grabbed up the rights to the tables, from what I understand.
So far Capcom isn't under any license that we know they have. They only made a hand full of tables too which I'm sure doesn't help increase the odds of doing the work to try to grab a license for just one or two.

I did read this though, it gives some hope at least on Capcoms end.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/29345631/capcom-pinball-tables
Quite sure Sven works for Capcom

Edit: I don't even know .... From what I read it looks like the same rights holders that have bally Williams might have the rights to the Capcom tables. I don't get why if Cap doesn't have the rights why they would have made the comments about it being in the realm of possibility...
I've got no clue

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Well I don't know if there is more to it but they have license agreements for the big 4 pinball companies. After more and more companies dropped out of the pinball game the big four grabbed up the rights to the tables, from what I understand.
So far Capcom isn't under any license that we know they have. They only made a hand full of tables too which I'm sure doesn't help increase the odds of doing the work to try to grab a license for just one or two.

I did read this though, it gives some hope at least on Capcoms end.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/29345631/capcom-pinball-tables
Quite sure Sven works for Capcom

Edit: I don't even know .... From what I read it looks like the same rights holders that have bally Williams might have the rights to the Capcom tables. I don't get why if Cap doesn't have the rights why they would have made the comments about it being in the realm of possibility...
I've got no clue
The SFII table is a Gottlieb, so TPA is halfway there. SF II was one of the first Zen DLCs, so the license is probably affordable without a kickstarter, though their deal with Zen may preclude licensing it out to rivals. Another thing to consider is the hardware the Capcom tables run on, and how easily it can be emulated.

karl

May 10, 2012
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Gene Cunningham bought all the Capcom pinball licenses?

Edit: But looking at that link I guess it was not true

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
FarSight is allowed to do Capcom. I got that straight from them.

The issue I think would be writing emulation software for what amounts to 2 or 3 tables that people actually want. That puts it into the category of the pre 1985 tables and them not wanting to write emulation for those because so few of the tables they'd make would use it.

But who knows. It did sound like they want to do BBB if they could manage it.

karl

May 10, 2012
But if they are gonna take the usual route and buy the machine first it could be kinda expensive also ;-) (At least the other Capcom tables like Kingpin and Big bang bar etc)

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
FarSight is allowed to do Capcom. I got that straight from them.

That is AWESOME to read. Who knows if any will happen, but great to know there isn't some nonsense contract/license BS standing in the way. I for one would LOVE to see Pinball Magic, BBB, and Kingpin. Some really cool, rare tables, that would be a great addition to TPA to act as a footnote about Capcom's short lived involvement with pinball, and that seem quite loved by those who've been lucky enough to play them. I know Kingpin is incredibly unlikely with there being only 9 of them, but I'd still love to see it, as it looks like a really cool table. I'd be more than happy to see Airborne too. Do the four of them off the regular schedule, as a special "Capcom Pack", or 2 a piece as Capcom Packs #1 & #2, or even 1 at a time ala the Kickstarter tables, and charge a premium if necessary. I'd gladly pay it.

Oh, and emulate, don't script, even if it adds significantly to the development time. Scripting is really only acceptable for tables old enough that you wouldn't much be able to tell the difference (or never had a ROM in the first place).

Last edited:

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
But who knows. It did sound like they want to do BBB if they could manage it.

Yes! This!

Sure the table is near-impossible to get ahold of, but instead of buying a table to take it apart, they could benefit from working together with the guys who made the reproduction table. They should already have exact molds of every single part, for obvious reasons. All they would need is frequent access to one asssembled copy to just confirm how the table actually plays.

I already stated this as well, but yeah, I'd love to see Pinball Magic just as much. That table looks great.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
On the real tables, the sound system is truly epic! They cranked the audio at a trade show I was at that debuted Pinball Magic and at another one that debuted Airborne. Holy frack! The glass was rattling.

Would love to see them eventually. I can wait.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I played this again at the York pinball show this year. It's one I'd like to see in The Pinball Arcade if they can emulate Capcom.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
It's a nice looking table. Never played it but watched some video of it last night and it looked like a lot of fun. Did capcom maybe merge with one of the companies that they have licenses for? I'll try and find some info.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
They have the Capcom license. Been said for the emulation it would be similar in scope to doing a Stern, but with so few tables to apply it to, not sure if they want to go through the hassle.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
But Pinball Magic is a pretty fun table - even from the get go with the "hat trick" skill shot. Breakshot is also a lot of fun. Simple layout, and the rules are not deep, but the gameplay make it one to go back to, particularly if you're just looking to unwind a bit. Although the voice overs may be a bit risqué to pass muster. And of course Big Bang Bar is needed.

Got three worth it tables right there.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
But Pinball Magic is a pretty fun table - even from the get go with the "hat trick" skill shot. Breakshot is also a lot of fun. Simple layout, and the rules are not deep, but the gameplay make it one to go back to, particularly if you're just looking to unwind a bit. Although the voice overs may be a bit risqué to pass muster. And of course Big Bang Bar is needed.

Got three worth it tables right there.

Ah, I wondered what that cup was for on the playfield!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts