Fast,Noisy and Bright?

RKade8583

Apr 5, 2012
I just rented HoF:W because... well, me want Gorgar and all... and I noticed on Tales how it was slower, comparatively quieter, and much easier to see. Which is more arcade-accurate, the brighter, faster, and musical versions found on Arcade or the more muted, slower, and relatively quiet versions found in HoF?

How I wish I could find some pinball machines near here... Hell, how I wish I could find arcades around here... They all dried up.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I just rented HoF:W because... well, me want Gorgar and all... and I noticed on Tales how it was slower, comparatively quieter, and much easier to see. Which is more arcade-accurate, the brighter, faster, and musical versions found on Arcade or the more muted, slower, and relatively quiet versions found in HoF?

How I wish I could find some pinball machines near here... Hell, how I wish I could find arcades around here... They all dried up.

The Pinball Arcade is miles closer to the real world pinball tables than the PHOF Collections ever were. PHOF had a floaty ball, virtually no gravity and did not fully emulate the actual ROMs from the real world tables. TPA's ball feels solid, the physics are close to the real tables with a real sense of gravity and it fully emulates the actual ROMs from the real world tables. You get a so, so experience with the PHOF Collections and the full experience with TPA which is why they seem (and are) so different. REAL PINBALL HAS ARRIVED!

RKade8583

Apr 5, 2012
See, I had a feeling one or the other was way closer to the original. Now to wait for the Williams tables (especially Gorgar of course) to be released. Thanks for the quick answer, Pinwiz. Feel free to add me if you want (my eye makes it hard for me to add tags)

Mike

Feb 24, 2012
I'll always love PHoF-WC. I was waiting for months for that one too hahah. I bought it mainly for Pinbot, but ended up loving several of the tables even more. Now years later, I found a great place near me for pinball. It's fantastic to play these machines for the first time and already know the rules and goals. You're right though, it is night and day between the two.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
See, I had a feeling one or the other was way closer to the original. Now to wait for the Williams tables (especially Gorgar of course) to be released. Thanks for the quick answer, Pinwiz. Feel free to add me if you want (my eye makes it hard for me to add tags)

By the way...Gorgar will be released sooner than you think. :)

Dan

Feb 28, 2012
The Pinball Arcade is miles closer to the real world pinball tables than the PHOF Collections ever were. PHOF had a floaty ball, virtually no gravity and did not fully emulate the actual ROMs from the real world tables. TPA's ball feels solid, the physics are close to the real tables with a real sense of gravity and it fully emulates the actual ROMs from the real world tables. You get a so, so experience with the PHOF Collections and the full experience with TPA which is why they seem (and are) so different. REAL PINBALL HAS ARRIVED!

PinWiz, I like TPA and Farsight too, but as long as they don't allow us to play with the operator menu, the phrase "fully emulates" is BS.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Some people just aren't ever happy with anything...

Perhaps you would like it better if the games were all free.
Or if Farsight paid you to play them.
And the games would make you sandwiches and bake you pizza and clean your garage for you.

Tony C

Feb 20, 2012
You don't get to use the operator menu in the arcade. In that light, TPA is arcade emulation in its purest form.

Adam

Apr 5, 2012
For the 80's tables PHOF is spot on. The problem looks like they use the same physics for the 90's tables, which play faster than 80's tables IRL so it just seems off when you play those. So, PHOF is great for Pin*Bot, Gorgar, etc. but not so great for the new tables they added like Tales and Medieval Madness. In short, Pinball Arcade is closer to the real thing, but PHOF was pretty close too as long as you played the older tables.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
PinWiz, I like TPA and Farsight too, but as long as they don't allow us to play with the operator menu, the phrase "fully emulates" is BS.

The simple fact that the ROMs themselves have full control over the tables means that they are fully emulated. The fact that FarSight restricts us from accessing the operator's menu has nothing to do with the emulation of the actual ROMs, but it would be nice if FarSight would allow us access to the operator's menu in the future.

Last edited:

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
You don't get to use the operator menu in the arcade. In that light, TPA is arcade emulation in its purest form.

THIS!!!

I would love to have access to the operator menus and it's been mentioned as possible if not likely down the road. This is a great point though.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts