High Speed or F-14 Tomcat?

DarthVonDoom

Jun 13, 2012
The time has nearly arrived for me to buy my first pinball machine and no it's not going to be Centaur because that much awesomeness is too expensive for me. But there's a guy not too far that is selling a high speed and a f-14 both in really good conditions at almost the same price. I wanted the opinions of people having owned one or both tables about which one they prefer. It's going to be my first and only one for probably a while so gameplay-wise, longevity-wise and maintenance-wise what do you guys think would be the best purchase.

DarthVonDoom

Jun 13, 2012
I like the art on f-14 a lot more. I'm not sure about High Speed backglass and the machine is going to be in the living room and must therefore be girlfriend approved. She doesn't seems to like fighter jets that much more though. I think I like f-14 music more but I haven't found
really good quality video of High Speed maybe it's not so bad.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I prefer High Speed, but that's just my opinion. F-14 is ridiculously fast and hard for that reason, but after that I don't feel there's as much 'game' as High Speed has. But yeah, I put in many an hour into High Speed on VP, not so much on F-14.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Thats a tough one...Ive missed out on 2 F-14's around $700-900 never seen a highspeed less than $1200. Look into replacement parts also!

DarthVonDoom

Jun 13, 2012
The f-14 doesn't have the police lights toppers anymore. It's about 175$ only for the 3 plastic domes. Of course I don't really need those but they're really cool.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Exactly! they share alot of parts. what is your theme preference? colors? Can you maintain it?
B4 you buy you need to learn some things..like how to move, what to look for instead of be overwhelmed by the fact your going to buy one. I speak fom experience these simple checks can save you some $! 1st turn it on, doest it boot up? there are tones at the begening that tell you if the machine is right 1 tone OK more problem but not game ruining. OPEN it up! If you dont know how I can help you. your looking for loose wires, corrosion and general wear.

DarthVonDoom

Jun 13, 2012
Both tables are working perfectly but I know that probably sooner than later I'm going to have to do some repairs but like owning an old muscle car you've got to enjoy the maintenance not just driving it. Still some tables requires more maintenance, for a first one I would prefer
one that is not so bad.

DarthVonDoom

Jun 13, 2012
Technically one does not need the toppers, but you can be damn sure if I buy it the toppers will follow.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
The beacon lights on my F-14 don't work, but the domes are there. Some kind of electrical problem that I can't pinpoint. It's not the bulbs, I'm sure of that.

As for the comparison, I'd say it depends on what you're looking for. High Speed as somewhat more complicated, but F-14 is faster and full of nonstop action, thanks in part to being one of the few 80s games with 4-ball multiball. Neither game is really all that deep, but I never get tired of playing either one because of how much fun the gameplay is.

I don't have a High Speed, but I would get one if I could. That said, I did buy F-14 first, so I'm gonna go with that.

Also worth noting, F-14 has one of the best sound packages in System 11 games.

Last edited:

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
F14 every time! It's such a fast brutal game that any Centaur disciple should appreciate. I like HS but F14 never fails to set my pulse racing. It's a pure adrenalin pinball and an absolute multiball monster.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
This might sound like being on the verge of blasphemy coming from me but go with F-14. High Speed is a fun game, but you really want High Speed 2: The Getaway, hands down. It's a better sequel than Empire Strikes Back...yes i said it.

DarthVonDoom

Jun 13, 2012
Thanks for your advice it's really appreciated. F-14 was my first choice so that pretty much settles it.
I've found the plastic domes at Marco's specialties but can't seem to find the rotating lights anywhere but then again I don't know if they're really called rotating lights. If someone knows where I could buy them I would really like to know. Anyway I must buy the table frst it's not that urgent.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Go for High Speed, and get Skill Shot in on the F14 action. Get a cool pinballtable, and get to see a grown man cry with joy as a bonus. (if logisticly doable, perhaps a nice idea.)

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
If he has them set up maybe you can play them when you go to meet him. That is the ultimate test. Two highly rated classic tables. I don't think you can make a bad decision if they are both are in good shape. Go with your gut.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
The Getaway is one of my favorite pins of all time. They're hard to find in good condition though, much less for a decent price.

But then again, I also love the original High Speed, which is easier to find for a good price. I wouldn't mind owning either one.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts