Pinball Makes the New York Times

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Nice article on the NY pinball scene, complete with a slide show of some of the machines on location: Where the Flippers Still Flap

(Note: The New York Times only allows 10 free articles per month to non-subscribers, so you may not be able to follow the link if you've read more than that.)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Nice. What's this about Portland Oregon being pinball crazy? Love hearing about these little pockets where it's a huge deal.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
Nice. What's this about Portland Oregon being pinball crazy? Love hearing about these little pockets where it's a huge deal.

I used to live in and play a ton of pinball in Portland. It really is a mecca for on location pinball. It's hard to find bars without pinball machines, and many have multiple ones. It's glorious and although Denver isn't too shabby for pins, I really miss the availability in Portland. It's worth a stop for any pinhead traveling in the NW.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I used to live in and play a ton of pinball in Portland. It really is a mecca for on location pinball. It's hard to find bars without pinball machines, and many have multiple ones. It's glorious and although Denver isn't too shabby for pins, I really miss the availability in Portland. It's worth a stop for any pinhead traveling in the NW.

Yeah, I just found this...

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7375966n&tag=contentMain;contentBody

It's why I really hope Jay up at FarSight goes through with his idea for a pinball bar. Just looks like a good time.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I hate when I get a flappy flipper.

You can never tell until its too late...Put the quarters in...press start...flappy....:(

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
What really sucks is when you sank $2 in so you could get the 'value' play of multiple games, and THEN you discover a bad flipper or something else tragically wrong with the table.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
What really sucks is when you sank $2 in so you could get the 'value' play of multiple games, and THEN you discover a bad flipper or something else tragically wrong with the table.

AW man I learned that lesson the hard way a few times! ...hm well maybe didn't learn it so well. :p Always do a test run.

inspector42

May 27, 2012
As a Portland (close to, at least) resident, I can confirm that there is pinball everywhere, and it is in fact glorious. Though many are not well maintained.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I want to move to Portland.

WI (my current home, unfortunately) has to be one of the worst states for finding machines on location. The people who are into pinball around here just horde their pins in their basements and keep to themselves. The really sad part is there are two big arcades here in Appleton (and by big, I mean over 100 arcade games each), but they only have a total of 3 pinball machines, all with terrible flippers. Such wasted potential because these arcades are always busy, and I know the pins would get a lot of action here if they were more plentiful and even remotely maintained.

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012

It occurs to me that I've never paid more than 50 cents a play. I never thought how pissed I'd be if I found the table unsatisfactory after dropping a buck or two.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

It occurs to me that I've never paid more than 50 cents a play. I never thought how pissed I'd be if I found the table unsatisfactory after dropping a buck or two.

I think SYT is referring to the deal that a lot of 50 cent per play machines offer where you can pay $2 for 5 games instead of 4.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I think SYT is referring to the deal that a lot of 50 cent per play machines offer where you can pay $2 for 5 games instead of 4.

Ah, so there are games in the wild for only fiddy cents still. Good to hear. I've seen the latest Sterns out there and they were set at a buck. I want to play, but I just can't convince myself.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Heh, yeah it used to be pay a buck for 3 games, a buy 2 get one free situation on 50 cent tables. Now that 75 cents is a lot more common, it's the 2 buck deal. I don't think I could ever drop $1 for one play. Well, I did on Pinball Circus, but how could I even think of passing up the chance to play that?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.