Do you still have or use any of your old games systems?

N

Nik Barbour

This was originally a post on another thread - but I was just curious, is anyone else an old hardware/software hoarder like me - or just a retro gaming fan?

I still have most of my old consoles/computers/game systems.
Just been up in the attic, this was my first one...
e3y4yzed.jpg

Closely followed by these...
nu4eta8u.jpg

Also still have...
Sinclair ZX81 1k +ram pack & games.
Sinclair Spectrum 128k+2 & a lot of games.
SNES (not working) & carts.
Original gameboy (owned by my sister) & quite a few carts.

(.... Discovered beer & girls / slight gap ....) Then (once settled down).

Gameboy Advance & carts.
A Cybiko & Cybiko extreme (I used to enjoy programming them - emu's - plus end-of-life you could buy em for a fiver before smartphones were ever invented).

Then - still downstairs in regular use.....
Original xbox & a lot of games.
Wii (the wife's - apart from Mario Cart).
Various PC's & 2 Android phones.
Then since TPA - Xbox360 & Nexus 7.

I still play a lot of my older games systems - but for convenience tend to do it through emulators now, but can't bear to part with the originals.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I still have two commodore 64 and an amiga 500 in my basement.
But I would prefer to use an emulator on my desktop pc for retro gaming.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I still got my SNES with a nice small collection of quality games. Most of them boxed. I've actually been playing Chrono Trigger recently.
I've also been going through the ones with battery backup and changing the batteries since most are pushing 20 years.

N

Nik Barbour

I still got my SNES with a nice small collection of quality games. Most of them boxed. I've actually been playing Chrono Trigger recently.
I've also been going through the ones with battery backup and changing the batteries since most are pushing 20 years.

I did that with mine before the Snes blew.
Someone taught me a trick to make a tool to open the carts.
Get a bic pen, and strip out the ink & attached ball point.
Hold the tip of the tube pen body in a lit flame for about 5 secs then quickly press the molten plastic over the special tamper proof bolt head on the cart.
Works for Gameboy carts as well & (more recently, Thomas the Tank Engine trains with dodgy wiring [my kids]).

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
My mom gave away my Atari 2600 to a neighbors kid when I was away at college. :(
But I still have a Sega Genesis packed up in my basement somewhere.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Who has room enough?
Okay, you guys do appearantly.
Hurray for emulation.

I did recently purchase a Bop-it SMASH, because it reminded me of old electronic games from the seventies... it has that SIMON-vibe.
Good fun. I guess they DO still make games like that. On occasion.

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

Who has room enough?
Okay, you guys do appearantly.
Hurray for emulation.

I did recently purchase a Bop-it SMASH, because it reminded me of old electronic games from the seventies... it has that SIMON-vibe.
Good fun. I guess they DO still make games like that. On occasion.

We got one at home for Xmas - makes an excellent Pinball reactions trainer!

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Is that the Sears VideoMaster? If so our first unit game console was a year later than that one, it's the same thing only it added the first videogame auto racing game .

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I have every console since the NES. Basically, every one I've owned, and nearly every one in existance (bar a few obscure ones)

Not because I'm a fan of "retro gaming" like you said, but I like good games in general, the age doesn't matter.

N

Nik Barbour

Is that the Sears VideoMaster? If so our first unit game console was a year later than that one, it's the same thing only it added the first videogame auto racing game .

Cool!

Just had to Google it - sounds odd, but it's always just been there, I don't remember it arriving. Apparently it was made in '77 which fits with not remembering it coming as I was 2 or 3 then.
It was won in a raffle (or something similar) by my Aunt, who didn't have a TV never mind play games, she must have given it to my parents.
I remember playing it with my cousins on our first colour tv, which didn't have channel buttons - just a big knob you dialed round till you got a channel frequency (I always remember thinking it wasn't working, then you'd give it one last twist and it would come in all grey and fuzzy, then you had to keep tweaking till you got it right. The good old days eh... :D

It's always been enjoyed 2 player - single player was a bit dull, as basically the one player controlled both bats simultaneously with one controller. Squash was the best single player game.
Still works well - and has its original polystyrene box.

This is the Web link I just found for it...
http://www.pong-story.com/vsnscore.htm

@sumez - yeah - I'd agree, a good game is great, no matter what it's age. I still enjoy discovering classics I never got to play when they were new or current.

Last edited:

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
turbo grafix? NEO GEO? 3DO? My first system was a colleco vision and it was like a computer too! It had cartridge games similar to atari and some would be swapable but my favorite game was BUCK RODGERS and it was on a casset tape! I never seen another 1 EVER!

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
I have one of these in the attic (binatone from the 1970's)

binatone_tvmaster.jpg

Also have the original GameBoy (although doesn't seem to work anymore :( ). Also got a few Atari 2600 games floating around, despite selling the console years ago.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I'm pretty sure I still have every system I've ever owned from the SEGA Master System on (though not necessarily the original one), except the GBA, but the DS plays those games so...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.