Mac - Bug Lag while playing

xDreamer 182

Jan 10, 2013
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone knows how can I prevent lag while playing Pinball Arcade (in every tables). That's quite boring 'cause you're missing the ball a lot of times. My graphic options are the lowest and I still got the problem. (Post Processing : Off, Level of details : 1, Lock to 30 fps : Off, Immediate Mode : Off)

I got a MacBook Pro from 2012, it ain't old then I can't understand the lag..

Could anyone help please ?

Thanks.

Jay

May 19, 2012
I already tried to lunch this app only and nothing changed.

Well, that explains it. I only have this app for dinner. :p

Seriously, though -- are you sure you're in full screen mode? I thought all I had to do was press the maximize (green) button on the window. But the only way to get into full screen on Pinball Arcade is by pressing CMD-CTRL-F.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Good job, Jay . and to the OP , you presented a problem thoughtfully , ( instead of ranting about how FarSight comes up short in customer service , or general complaining, ) and someone on the board was able to help you . That's how it should be . MACs aren't my thing , but once the PC version comes out, I hope I can help TPA fans like Jay just did .

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
The game obviously doesn't run properly in window mode, creating negative impressions for new users.

It doesn't make sense. Why doesn't the game open in full screen mode?

Please fix it, Farsight?

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
Well, that explains it. I only have this app for dinner. :p

Seriously, though -- are you sure you're in full screen mode? I thought all I had to do was press the maximize (green) button on the window. But the only way to get into full screen on Pinball Arcade is by pressing CMD-CTRL-F.

That is two obvious user-friendliness problems with the Mac version. It should default to fullscreen, and it should have a more intuitive way to toggle fullscreen. Why not Cmd-F? Why not a fullscreen widget in the upper-right? Another popular iOS port, Pocket Planes, at least has the widget.

Tony C

Feb 20, 2012
So here's another hiccup in this. I just bought a Thunderbolt display and TPA runs like there's molasses on the table in anything higher than 1600 X 900. Fullscreen, windowed, nothing fixed it until I dialed the resolution back. Just something to remember. I never would have thought of it. As a bonus, the Bigfoot Bluff bug went away on 1600 X 900.

eddiec

Apr 11, 2012
I get the same slow down problem whether I'm in full screen mode or windowed mode. I've tried different settings (anti-alias any setting, immediate mode, post processing, lock to 30fps on or off, level of detail 1 or 2) and I still get the same game slow down. Once in a while the app will act okay for a little while but then I get ball slow down during a game.

I'm running a 2007 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 6 GB of ram and a GeForce 8600M GT 128 MB graphic card.

Any advice will be appreciated as I'd love to play Centaur. Thanks.

Jul 2, 2012
Are you talking about playing on external or internal display, eddiec?

I'm experiencing no slowdowns at all on internal display (1440x900) in full screen, TPA runs silky smooth with 4x antialiasing (could also crank it up with no noticeable damage to framerate), level of detail at 2 and immediate mode on (although I still have no idea what it does). I don't use post-processing because it enhances only some of the tables. I've also played on an external full-HD monitor (1920x1080) and it performs equally as well there.

My system is an Early 2008 MacBook Pro with 2,4 GHz C2D, 4 GB of RAM and 8600M GT 256M graphics. I'm running the latest release of Mac OS X (10.8.4).

hootowls

Aug 20, 2013
@ Tuomas, internal display only. It's very strange and frustrating, I don't know what the problem is.

My early 2009 Mini slowed down play action after I played with the AA settings. Setting AA to "off" seemed to then have no effect. Going to the next setting, 2x, restored most of the playability. Still looking through my system folder for a possibly corrupt file - deleting plist didn't seem to reset the graphic settings at startup.

Members online

Members online