Fear of playing outside (of a network)

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
So today I get ready to go to work, and I realize I'm going to have some extra time to kill. I bring my pad with me to play some TPA. As I sit in my car waiting, I realize that without net access, I don't have access to the scoreboard. All of a sudden I feel like I shouldn't do my best, knowing that if I achieve a high score, it ain't going up. Thus affecting my true enjoyment, I just flail the flippers making the lights flash.

This didn't used to be a problem with PHOF on my PSP because a public scoreboard didn't exist, but now that it does, am I putting too much importance on the possiblity of external validation to the detriment of my enjoyment? (ooh, cool sentence)

Am I the only one that doesn't like to play outside of a network?

Last edited:

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
To be honest, I don't think I've once looked at the leader boards. I have no idea where I am on it nor do I really care. I play because I enjoy pinball.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I feel the same, particularly of completing goals. If you complete standard goals while offline you won't get the achievement and won't be able to get it again as you are now into wizard goals. This has happened to me on scared stiff so if I want to get that achievement I'll have to back up, delete, reinstall, get the goal and achievement and then restore the original backup. Not ideal.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
I too have never looked at the network leader board. What do I care what some strangers scores are?

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
It's not the leaderboards that's a problem. The issue lays in the fact unless logged in, your high scores and goals are not available.

This is lame.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I keep track of my own high scores on my blog, but I rarely look at the online leaderboards. I'm more interested in my own improvement (or lack thereof) than whether my score is above or below John Q. Random's.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
I used to suffer from this "fear", but when STTNG came out I really wanted to play it in the pub. I got a couple of achievements and set a new HOF score, which got uploaded! I think this issue "may" be sorted now. :)

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I follow ya. I play very little on TPA right now, knowing the current X360 version will be replaced with a new one, so I'm sort of afraid I'll end up having the game of my life on some table, only to have the score erased, if they aren't able to migrate the leaderboards.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I used to suffer from this "fear", but when STTNG came out I really wanted to play it in the pub. I got a couple of achievements and set a new HOF score, which got uploaded! I think this issue "may" be sorted now. :)

Whatwhatwhaaaaaat?!

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012

I believe so, if I remember corrctly, I completed the wizard goals off network and got credit for them once back on network, however, i still have no received credit for the top score on my leaderboards for STTNG

night

May 18, 2012
I don't care about scores or leaderboards. I was so stupid to sign up for Game Centre and now people I don't know want to be 'friends' with me.. Don't know how to turn this off again, have no clue what the hell Game Centre is anyway. I wrote 'friendzone phobic' under my user name in the hope people would get the hint. They don't..

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
I never cared much about discovering that, WOOT! I'm in the 3948th place now, and Bigp*n*s is still in the top ten. It was the facebook-friends compare that I found interresting, and that doesn't work anyway (not for me at least). Still, I leave everything on factory setting, and do the manual logout login thing, in order to remain leaderboard elligable. I don't understand me.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
There's been a request for a long time that the game should keep track of the online leaderboard scores even when *offline* and submit any offline scores to the online database, as soon as a connection becomes available. I think that would be the best solution, whether you really care about being posted online or not :p

N

Nik Barbour

I don't know how ios is set up, but goals and personal scores on Android are independent of leaderboard log in.
We've just had a beta bug this week where several of us had to play logged out for a few days.
Local scores and goals are all held within a file named saved_data.

Advalle

Jul 18, 2012
So today I get ready to go to work, and I realize I'm going to have some extra time to kill. I bring my pad with me to play some TPA. As I sit in my car waiting, I realize that without net access, I don't have access to the scoreboard. All of a sudden I feel like I shouldn't do my best, knowing that if I achieve a high score, it ain't going up. Thus affecting my true enjoyment, I just flail the flippers making the lights flash.

This didn't used to be a problem with PHOF on my PSP because a public scoreboard didn't exist, but now that it does, am I putting too much importance on the possiblity of external validation to the detriment of my enjoyment? (ooh, cool sentence)

Am I the only one that doesn't like to play outside of a network?

I care about boards, so when I am off-network I try to teach myself a table i am not good at. Any score i achieve is of no importance for the boards since I suck, so achieving a jump from 6000th to 5000th place makes no difference to me. However, I know I am practicing and getting better at a new table for future possible great scores.

So when on the network= Play any tables, but most time play for big scores
when off-network = Play tables I suck and try to discover any potential weaknesses on them for the future.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts