Took the plunge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willi Cicci

Dec 25, 2012
... and bought a Nexus 10. Not happy so far.

Serious slow-down issues on TPA. Star Trek specifically. Mostly happening in portrait orientation. For whatever reason it seems to be better in landscape. But as well as it plays on my Nexus 7, I thought for sure the experience would be further enhanced on the Nexus 10. Not so... Pretty bummed right now. Looks like I'm headed to the return counter.

Anybody have any recommendations for a more compatible 10" tablet?

N

netizen

With 1.9.1 I found that you had to occasionally pause and resume STTNG on a Nexus 10 to get good solid game play, it had to do with the new UI orientation being fixed iirc. Rest assured that with the next build that has been resolved as the UI orientation issues have been fixed.
If you want to try out the latest build beta you can find it here

The only table that I have found that runs with any sort of consistent slow down on the Nexus 10 is RBION, and ther is no real reason that it does.

N

netizen

I assume you've already tried the clear cache and force restart trick too then?

The 1.10.1 that I linked to has a new version of STTNG, TZ and MM since 1.10.0; there may be one more table too.

Mxyzptlk

Jul 27, 2012
ST:TNG plays beautifully for me on my Nexus 10. Had some issues with the first 1.9.1 release but after the patch it's been fine. Played a few games of it with the most recent beta and it's still running as smooth as I could want.

Willi Cicci

Dec 25, 2012
Playing much better with this new build. Still stutters occasionally, but much better overall.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Not sure if it's the same issue, but i find i get nearly random stutter on the Galaxy S3, typically if a notification is generated (ie SMS message or email comes in), but not 100% of the time. If i go to the home screen and then go back into the program it's all smooth again.

Not sure if this is an issue with handing off resources and then reclaiming them when notification center updates or not.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
Not sure if it's the same issue, but i find i get nearly random stutter on the Galaxy S3, typically if a notification is generated (ie SMS message or email comes in), but not 100% of the time. If i go to the home screen and then go back into the program it's all smooth again.

Not sure if this is an issue with handing off resources and then reclaiming them when notification center updates or not.

Is it like a consistent stutter that feels like the framerate has been halved? Because I get this once in a while on SGSII, especially on the alpha numeric tables. Going back into the pause menu and resuming solves the issue. I think Ryan once said that some devices are locked into 30 frames instead of 60 because of some memory or cpu allocation issue. And there seems to be no permanent fix, since it's due to the way Android handles cpu / memory threads (or something like that...)

Willi Cicci

Dec 25, 2012
No, it's just a blip every once in a while. However, in build 1.10.0, it was more like what you're describing.

Gonna try out a TF700T later on tonight, so I'll report back afterwards.

N

Nik Barbour

Is it like a consistent stutter that feels like the framerate has been halved? Because I get this once in a while on SGSII, especially on the alpha numeric tables. Going back into the pause menu and resuming solves the issue. I think Ryan once said that some devices are locked into 30 frames instead of 60 because of some memory or cpu allocation issue. And there seems to be no permanent fix, since it's due to the way Android handles cpu / memory threads (or something like that...)

It tends to be the GPU maxing out, this then causes a frame rate drop to 30fps.
TPA will play with a 1ghz single core processor (which my phone has) , being rooted I can overclock upto 1.5ghz which when experiencing the frame rate drop doesn't help.
This shows that TPA is gpu hungry rather than cpu hungry. As you say the worst tables are the Alphanumeric ones (although Ryan has made massive improvements since BOP released). Also RBION, apparently the rom is more resource hungry than others.

Nexus 7 plays all tables beautifully though - no lag anywhere even 6 ball LITZ.

Vip8888

Mar 25, 2012
Take it back and get an iPad.

Sure, but only if you think it is worth the trade-off of not being able to nudge the table properly - shake to nudge does nothing unless in landscape where it auto tilts, and the touch screen options nudge the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, I love how TPA looks on my iPad 3, but with no nudging I much prefer to play on Android, especially on the Nexus 7 which I am starting to think is the perfect platform.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
... and bought a Nexus 10. Not happy so far.

Serious slow-down issues on TPA. Star Trek specifically. Mostly happening in portrait orientation. For whatever reason it seems to be better in landscape. But as well as it plays on my Nexus 7, I thought for sure the experience would be further enhanced on the Nexus 10. Not so... Pretty bummed right now. Looks like I'm headed to the return counter.

Anybody have any recommendations for a more compatible 10" tablet?

I love TPA on my TF300T. Plays great and you can connect it to a HDMI display for 720p video.

N

Nik Barbour

I much prefer to play on Android, especially on the Nexus 7 which I am starting to think is the perfect platform.

Agreed - can't express how pleased I am with Nexus 7. Xbox is languishing untouched now.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Dunno... like my 10.1 inch screen. A lot. How persistinent are these Nexus 10 glitches? I'll gladly forgive a device so flat and thin it's downright annorexic the occasional hickup, considering it does tricks that would make my previous Windows PC cream it's serial port.

N

netizen

How persistinent are these Nexus 10 glitches?

You know that crack you made about having to turn your tablet so much that chicks were starting to find you hot ...

At least in regards to the UI menu mapping that forces Nexus 10 users to still have to turn from portrait to landscape at the end of every game.

Willi Cicci

Dec 25, 2012
Tried the TF700T yesterday... no good. It couldn't run TPA smoothly AT ALL. Not for one minute. It really wasn't even playable. Frame rate was awful. I guess the tablets that have the higher resolutions have it harder sometimes even though you'd think the extra horsepower would compensate. That's probably why the TF300T runs TPA better than the TF700T. Lower resolution = less work required by the device. I'm just speculating, but it makes sense to me. Or maybe they just need more RAM...

Anyway, on a happier note, I went back to the Nexus 10 and tried again. With this new build, it seems WAY more stable than my initial experience with it a couple days ago. And when playing the Asus and the Nexus 10 side-by-side I was like, "What the f*ck was I thinking?" The Nexus 10 just completely blows away the Asus in every aspect. Solid frame rate 99.9% of the time (since the new build), and visually there's just no comparison. The Nexus 10 looks absolutely STUNNING...

So I think I have my answer. Unfortunately, it's gonna cost me a few bucks cause there's a 15% re-stocking fee if I return the Asus. Hoping I can find someone to buy it instead.

Craigslist, here I come!

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
FWIW, I run a ASUS TF700 and it is smooth as butter, don't know what was wrong with the one you tried.

Timelord...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts