Extra Balls

Mark Miwurdz

Apr 7, 2012
It's not unlimited unless my game glitched and stopped giving them. Unlimited balls would definitely need a PFX 2 save feature update. With unlimited free balls I could play indefinitely.

Ammonitida

Apr 6, 2012
It's not unlimited unless my game glitched and stopped giving them. Unlimited balls would definitely need a PFX 2 save feature update. With unlimited free balls I could play indefinitely.

Playing indefinitely is what I fear. It's my biggest complaint with Pinball FX. When playing Pinball FX I now stick to competitive online multiplayer so that the games will mercifully end at some point.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
Why is there not a state save feature? I feel like the high scores on these leaderboards are going to come down to endurance tests. :(

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
High scores on real tables often come down to endurance tests, and you can't very well "save state" on those! That being said, I'm all for implementing the tournament modes for each table and creating separate leaderboards for tournament-mode play. While I respect the stamina of those who can concentrate for 6 hours straight, I do not have that much free time!

(For the benefit of those unfamiliar with competitive pinball: Tournament mode rules generally disable extra balls, disable randomly-awarded features or replace them with fixed awards, disable or shorten ball savers, disable "pity" awards on the third ball of a bad game, sometimes set the machine to its hardest difficulty settings, etc. In general, this greatly speeds up games, which is what you want in a tournament when you have lots of players that need to play in a short timeframe, hence the name "tournament mode".)

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
For what it's worth: The limit on actual extra balls appears to be seven. Beyond that you get 1M instead and the DMD reads: "Extra ball: 1,000,000" instead of playing the giant extra ball chasing adventurer animation.

However, Specials continue to give extra balls beyond this limit, so it is possible to play more than 10 balls per game.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
The limit on Ripley is 10 extra-balls total. (I have gotten all of them on ball 1 before)

6 hours? Wha? My highscore took about 3 hours.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The limit on Ripley is 10 extra-balls total. (I have gotten all of them on ball 1 before)
Something went wrong then, because the game I got Atlantis I played 15 balls in total. The three originals, seven extra balls, and five specials.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Hmm... I usually seem to get 3 specials. It is hard to keep track of specials without going into the status report.
You're probably right. I generally keep an eye on what's goin' on, not on what's gonna be.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts