Windows Surface

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
I'm in the market for my first tab and was wondering if one of these could also run visual pinball ? If anyone here has one could you share your thoughts about it ?

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
afaik it womt run on a windows rt(arm based) but if you rooted a pro version(x86) you couldmmore than likely run it in some form youd need a button mapper of some sort id imagine

then again i could be talking crap, barely took a cursory glance at them

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
The Pro version isn't out yet is it? The Pro runs full windows so it might. I guess it depends if the game will operate in Windows 8 and what the minimum specs are.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
You don't need to root the Surface Pro. It'll just work there as you would expect any PC. It's just a tablet PC in the end.

dirtyvu

Feb 28, 2013
root the Surface Pro??? The Surface Pro is just a regular PC with Windows 8. pretty slick machine. I just wish the screen was bigger.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
This can be interesting for possible cabinet options.

But i think it needs a few years to compete with ipad. But i am not so negative at all about it. I think windows tablets do have a chance.

karl

May 10, 2012
What about something like the Dell XPS 12. It might be a tad heavy and big for long playing sessions but should be no problem playing Visual pinball, Future pinball and The Pinball Arcade? I really like the design of this. Been thinking about updating my Android tablet (the Galaxy2 7" is horrible for TPA) and this could be an even better choice than a regular tablet if TPA is coming to Windows 8 store soon. Anybody have any thoughts on this??? (PS! I know it is expensive) :)

dirtyvu

Feb 28, 2013
I saw a guy at Wingstop (buffalo wings restaurant) with the Dell XPS 12 machine on the table next to us. It's a lot smaller than I imagined (I just pictured a weird flippy screen machine). He was having some kind of business discussion with his friend. going through web links and stuff. pretty cool. was going to ask him his thoughts on the machine but his discussion seemed pretty intense. then again, he was eating at a Wingstop....

it does have a bigger screen which gives you more room to do stuff. as cool as the Surface is, 1920x1080 on a 10.6" screen (even though it is a beautiful screen) can be hard sometimes. then again, with the pixels that small, they look really good.

have you checked out the Asus Transformer Book? It also has either the Core i5 or the i7 and is a pretty neat design. When it's docked, it's like a laptop. When it's separate, it's a tablet. But here's the uniqueness. There's a battery in the tablet (for when you don't want to be docked) and a battery in the shell (when you want to use it as a laptop). So 2 batteries. Also, the tablet body has an SSD. But the laptop body also has a 500GB HDD. so space is not an issue at all.

http://www.asus.com/vivo/en/transformerBook.htm

amv18l.jpg

344qy45.jpg

Last edited:

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Actually, because no one wants them, I bet you can get some good deals on them. I wouldn't mind a few touchscreen Windows tablets at, say, $50 each.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts