Should FarSight relaunch an open BETA for TPA?

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
I've been thinking about this for a while, since the facebook page became overloaded with (angry) bug reports...

Might it not be a good idea to get some of the dedicated fans to beta test again? With all the released versions having varying numbers of bugs, it might be helpful, if we *the fans* were able to give some input and help! I say it makes sense for the dedicated fans to be the beta testers because they are the least prone to whining and have defended and paid for TPA even through the somewhat troubled release! Since the table dlc seems to be a new source of bugs, the dlc too could do with some in-advance bug testing.

And before someone accuses me of simply wanting to get the game / dlc / privileges early - this is certainly not the case! Beta testing TPA the last time was not necessarily too much fun ;-) It quickly becomes a true working assignment. A fun one, but work nonetheless! (And most of us have real jobs as well, right?)

What do you think?

And @FarSight: is this a feasible option for you at this point?

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I would have no problem lending my expertise to help flush out bugs. This is a great idea and one that FarSight should really take into consideration given the fact that they are already spreading themselves thin over prepping for releases and upcoming DLC tables.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
I would have to agree. There are just too many issues with the various versions and given the fact that Farsight cannot simply release a patch but must go through a drawn out approval processes it is very much in their best interest to get things right the first time.

N

Nik Barbour

I'm available for beta testing!
I could be used for older android phone device min processor size 1ghz.
And ps3 when released in Europe.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
I guess it's decided then! :D

But seriously: I'm not sure how agreeable MS and Sony are towards an open or even a closed beta (which it might actually be classified as, given that only a select group of people would participate) now that the game has been released to their platforms. I was always under the impression that MS and Sony have their own QA teams that test every XBLA or PSN title. Problem here is that those testers might not know the original tables (or pinball in general) well enough to even find some of these bugs...?

For the Android and IOS versions however, there *must* be an opportunity to go into beta once again, since we already had one run before the first release.

Tony C

Feb 20, 2012
I think it would be much less overwhelming to have a limited number of people sending bug reports to one specific location. What they have now is too chaotic. People posting here, on FB, on the platform forums and reporting via email. Surely, nobody has the time to read all of those posts, let alone respond to them. If they decide to do this, those tester people also double as unpaid ambassadors to their respective communities. When others are reporting a bug that they know has been discussed and is being worked on, they can respond with authority when someone from FS can't because they are working on the problem.

@Farsight, consider this thread an open invitation to use your dedicated fan base to help take this to the next level. We want you to succeed and we're willing to help.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Sony and Microsoft require approvals for the Beta releases, which is the same approval we go through to submit a final version.

Tony C

Feb 20, 2012
Well, it would add another layer of delay to the approval process for those two platforms. Evidently, the people at Microsoft missed some things that they didn't know to look for since there are still bugs. To me, it would be worth it to know that there would be a significant reduction in problems. We have come to a point that, with few exceptions (Windows being the biggest), we expect things to "just work".

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
I guess that (especially) the gameplay bugs found on the Android and IOS versions would at least in part apply to the other versions as well... And since mobile versions are still in the lead release-wise at the moment, beta testing on those would definitely make sense to me! But all the community can do at the moment is offer their support.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Sony and Microsoft require approvals for the Beta releases, which is the same approval we go through to submit a final version.

I don't think the Beta needs to be on the 360 or PS3. From my experience a lot of the bugs carry over from version to version. A PC/Mac beta would probably do the trick, at least with regards to table bugs. Stability issues on the various systems is another matter.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've also been thinking about this lately and I really think Farsight needs to continue the beta testing, especially for new tables. We found a lot of bugs in the iOS beta testing, and the bugs that haven't been fixed have carried over to the other platforms, so even just testing them on one platform would make a big difference. Also, it seems beta testing would've really helped with the various iOS and Android problems that have been springing up lately too, so testing new updates would be very beneficial as well.

I'll gladly volunteer for testing once again. I really think it's needed, especially since the developers are so busy.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
I've also been thinking about this lately and I really think Farsight needs to continue the beta testing, especially for new tables. We found a lot of bugs in the iOS beta testing, and the bugs that haven't been fixed have carried over to the other platforms, so even just testing them on one platform would make a big difference. Also, it seems beta testing would've really helped with the various iOS and Android problems that have been springing up lately too, so testing new updates would be very beneficial as well.

I'll gladly volunteer for testing once again. I really think it's needed, especially since the developers are so busy.

my thoughts exactly! why is there no "like button" for these kinds of posts? :)

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
I did not get picked for iOS testing first time round.
But I'd be up for it if needed again (iPhone4). :)

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
If it results in a relatively problem-free experience on release, I'm fine with waiting an extra approval cycle. :)

The approval process is also quite expensive.

A public Beta is really up to management though. Some platforms it's probably more sensible than others.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
The approval process is also quite expensive.

A public Beta is really up to management though. Some platforms it's probably more sensible than others.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Mike! I think the Android platform would benefit from an ongoing community beta the most, as there are so many different configurations.

PinMike8666

Feb 20, 2012
I think beta testing would have been ideal. However, in this day and age, you are bound to get bugs in nearly every video game; downloadable games and even retail games have bugs before they get patched in the future. This rings true for this game as well.

dyleck

Feb 28, 2012
Clearly better beta testing is a must. Right now I have a feeling that tests' quality qualify them for alpha stage. The new version introduced so many bugs that for many the game is unplayable (take a look at google play's comments - every 2nd one is from furious user complaining about the game became useless). Right now I am slightly pissed as well - I love BoP but I am affraid of playing it once I had to quit a 4-blion game because of lost ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.