How does the Tournament calc score?

BrentMpls

Jul 9, 2012
Is there info on how your score is calculated?

I got to rank 350 just by playing each of the games once. Then I got up to 250 after playing a few more rounds a day or so later. Then I've dropped, even after playing more games, I think I'm in the 500's.

Does it just take the best score you have with each table? If you play a bad game does that drop you down? Does playing a less popular table help?

Any detail on how this works would be useful.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Not sure exactly on the scoring via standings by points, but even if you improve your score on one table, if others are beating your scores on other tables, then you will drop.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
I think the basis is this:

1) Take a table's replay score, and divide it by 10. This forms the score for each point.
2) At the end of play, the score is taken and divided by the number from (1), which is your score for the table. (So if you ended at the replay score, you get 10 points).
3) All games in a session add up and forms your current score.

(3) means that if you play a table again, your tournament entry starts again - you cannot cherry pick scores across sessions. So you need to do well on ALL tables in one go. Your highest score at the end is recorded as your entry - you can go through it all again and if you score lower, it isn't recorded.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I think the basis is this:

1) Take a table's replay score, and divide it by 10. This forms the score for each point.
2) At the end of play, the score is taken and divided by the number from (1), which is your score for the table. (So if you ended at the replay score, you get 10 points).
3) All games in a session add up and forms your current score.

(3) means that if you play a table again, your tournament entry starts again - you cannot cherry pick scores across sessions. So you need to do well on ALL tables in one go. Your highest score at the end is recorded as your entry - you can go through it all again and if you score lower, it isn't recorded.
This is not true, as the first place score on a table always corresponds to 100 points, regardless of the actual score or its relation to the table's replay score. Second place gets 90, and third place gets 85. Below that, the point value decreases by a little less than .04 for each place, so 84.96 points for fourth, 84.92 points for fifth, etc. The total tournament score is simply the 8 table tournament scores added together.

As other players score better than you on a given table, your tournament score on that table will decrease, because you now rank further down in the standings. So the OP observed his tournament score had gone down after several days of inactivity simply because other players were playing in the meantime and scored better than he did on at least some of the tables.

The problem with this system, as several of us have observed, is that it rewards players with lots of free time, who can play again and again and again until they get their miracle game on table A, then move on and repeat for table B, etc. A more valid test of skill would be to use a system like PAPA does, where each "entry" consists of 1 round of each machine (or a subset of those machines) and the resulting scores for that entry have to be taken as a set or discarded. This would reward consistent good play and make it more difficult for a poor player with lots of time to do well, because instead of one miracle game, he now needs 8 good or at least above-average games in a row, which is very unlikely for a player with low skill.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
A more valid test of skill would be to use a system like PAPA does, where each "entry" consists of 1 round of each machine (or a subset of those machines) and the resulting scores for that entry have to be taken as a set or discarded. This would reward consistent good play and make it more difficult for a poor player with lots of time to do well, because instead of one miracle game, he now needs 8 good or at least above-average games in a row, which is very unlikely for a player with low skill.

I could go for this. I will admit the only table I restart is ST:TNG. That able hates me with a passion. I cannot get a flow going ever and when I do it is short lived. Even on TZ I can get going well. On ST I get a lot of rattles on the shots that seems inconsistent and frustrates me to no end.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts