Worth a purchase?

ravager

Jul 20, 2012
I've got a 15" Core i7 2.2GHz MBP and also a 13" Macbook Air that I would love to play TPA on.

Do you guys find the play to be smooth, for the most part? The MBP has a discrete video card, but the Air shares with memory. Is the lighting better than iOS?

Thanks for your replies. - rav

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I don't have it but if I recall correctly, it's essentially the iPad version and everyone who bought it has committed suicide.

Seriously, and I hope I am corrected on this. But there were some major gripes about the nudge controls. I'm hoping it's just acting as a placeholder for the real mac version which will be the same as the pc version.

Sorry I couldn't be more help I don't really have an opinion on it

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
I played TPA initially on a mid-2012 Macbook Pro 13 inch for about a month before I got an iPhone. I haven't played on it since. The game was generally choppy and buggy. This was probably in October so they may have improved the Mac version since then. The only benefit I saw (besides the bigger screen of course) was actually with the nudging. I found nudging with the keyboard buttons next to the flippers to be easier than the mechanism on the iPhone's touch screen. Also, having to pay for the tables twice on what is essentially an iOS port wasn't too appealing to me.

night

May 18, 2012
Yeah, it's one of the reasons I won't buy it on my Mac, its' just an iOS port and perhaps 'ok' if you are one of the few without an iPad. But the Mac version should have the same quality as the consoles. This is lazy porting.

ravager

Jul 20, 2012
Okay guys, thanks! I was hoping for lighting like on the PS3, but if it is just an iOS port I will definitely skip it. I have bought TPA on iOS, Android, and PS3. In retrospect, that seems like plenty.

Tony C

Feb 20, 2012
I have it on my 2011 MBP playing on an external monitor. I don't have any of the choppiness that others have described. If I'm at my desk, I'll play it rather than the iPad simply because nudging is better IMHO. Yes, I'd like it much better if it wasn't an iOS port and it would probably perform better, too. I am still happy to have it and look forward to improvement in the months to come. That said, if I already had TPA on the PS3, I probably would not get it on my Mac.

Jay

May 19, 2012
It seems like the trick to playing PA on a Mac is to run it in true full-screen mode (by hitting CMD-CTRL-F). Running it windowed currently doesn't work, even if the window is small. I have a quad-core i7 iMac with a 1 gb video card; why the game has so many problems in a window is a mystery to me. But full-screen, the tables play fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts