Defending the Bride's honour.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Lot of 'dissing' and talking poo about the bride. This won't do. Or at least not in this particular thread (there's other threads for that, which I'm sure you'll find unless you're a tenfold duller than you accuse The Bride to be).

Some say she's boring and repetitive. Medieval Madness with it's centre-shot castle doesn't have to put up with this nonsense. The Bride also invites you to get some funky loop-action going (and the looping action on The Bride is supadoopalicious funky) to earn an extra ball, a million here and there, or perhaps even a backdoor billion. And then there's getting the ball back to the plunger to advance multiplyer. The shuttleramp plays a key-role but doesn't make the side-attractions none existent. And whoever finds a 2-ball no-ball-saver multiball, on a table with vicious outlane drains, and a billion points at stake to boot, boring.... just might be a trifle jaded.

Apart from that, a pinball is a composite experience for me. It's gameplay, AND look AND sound, producing an overall feel. The Bride is a non-nonsense themed table that pretends to be little else but a pinballing experience. There's something about the sounds and lightshow that just clicks together like magic, and I think there's never been a table that was sleeker and sexier since.

Last edited:

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Certainly not a deep table but great fun, both on TPA and in real life. Sort of table I will play for hours then not touch for a month, but still feels fun when I revisit it.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Because I'm not great at the game, I don't find it to be nearly as bad as others say. I like it a lot - the look, the sounds, the theme, etc.

Tabe

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I'm sorry, but the lady really is a tramp.

Some say she's boring and repetitive. Medieval Madness with it's centre-shot castle doesn't have to put up with this nonsense. The Bride also envites you to get some funky loop-action going (and the looping action on The Bride is supadoopalicious funky) to earn an extra ball, a million here and there, or perhaps even a backdoor billion. And then there's getting the ball back to the plunger to advance multiplyer. The shuttleramp plays a key-role but doesn't make the side-attractions none existent. And whoever finds a 2-ball no-ball-saver multiball, on a table with vicious outlane drains, and a billion points at stake to boot, boring.... just might be a trifle jaded.
Medieval Madness offers me a lot more side attractions...Multiball Madness, Castle Multiball, Royal Madness, Barnyard Madness, etc. Bride offers me some loops (that are drain hazards), the heartbeat shot (a drain hazard) and the "small wheel" with at most an 8M jackpot...on a game with a 1B main shot.

As far as 2-ball multiballs, I enjoy CFTBL's a lot more even though I suck at it. Bride's multiball is literally hop the first ball over, shoot shuttle ramp, post transfer the second over, shoot shuttle ramp, pray Big Wheel lands on Billionaire's Club. If it doesn't, just repeat the above steps. If it does, shoot the billion shot then repeat the above steps. Except for the billion shot itself, there is little risk or anything else other than grinding. CFTBL's multiball at least manages to incorporate the entire table and a variety of shots (left ramp for playfield X, side shots for Search, snack bar for jackpots, center ramp for reaching pops to qualify supers).

Apart from that, a pinball is a composite experience for me. It's gameplay, AND look AND sound, producing an overall feel. The Bride is a non-nonsense themed table that pretends to be little else but a pinballing experience. There's something about the sounds and lightshow that just clicks together like magic, and I think there's never been a table that was sleeker and sexier since.
I wouldn't consider Taxi and Whirlwind "sexier" necessarily, but they're my go-to tables from the late alphanumeric era.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
The Elizabeth Taylor of pinball tables I tell ya. Some will say she didn't age gracefully, but I say she's an all-time beauty.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
The biggest problem is the TPA version plays nothing like the actual table. As I said before, if the real table played like TPA does, it wouldn't be very highly rated on sites like Pinside and IPDB. In the actual table, making the Bride and achieving Metamorphosis is a major challenge. Not so in TPA.
So yes, the Bride deserves honor and respect, but this cross-dressing loser masquerading as the Bride on TPA doesn't get that it's not just what's on the surface that counts. Character and personality are just as important. He doesn't get it, and never will, and therefore will go down in history as the poster child of what happens when you tune too much.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
I love the Bride; however, she hates me when I try to play more than one player and that's a must. When she decides to be multi-player friendly with me, I will again be in love with the Bride.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
The biggest problem is the TPA version plays nothing like the actual table. As I said before, if the real table played like TPA does, it wouldn't be very highly rated on sites like Pinside and IPDB. In the actual table, making the Bride and achieving Metamorphosis is a major challenge. Not so in TPA.
So yes, the Bride deserves honor and respect, but this cross-dressing loser masquerading as the Bride on TPA doesn't get that it's not just what's on the surface that counts. Character and personality are just as important. He doesn't get it, and never will, and therefore will go down in history as the poster child of what happens when you tune too much.

I didn't get to play too much of bride when I found her on location recently, but what I did get to play felt a lot like the table in TPA, complete with the easy left ramp.
Of course there was still the issue with real physics compared to simulated, but that goes for all tables

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
I just haven't reached that point yet, where she can't challenge me anymore.

Maybe lack of skill is fun here, same as ignorance is bliss.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
This is how she's supposed to play:

http://pinball.org/videos/gameplay-videos/bride-of-pinbot/

TPA's Bride has a reputation for being easy for a good reason - it doesn't require much effort for her to give up her jackpot. An honorable woman would be more of a challenge!

Looks pretty close to the TPA version to me...sans the console versions which are easier because of the forgiving nudging. The Bride of Pin●Bot at Pinballz is a bit harder for me than the TPA version because of the somewhat weaker flippers which makes ramp shots almost impossible.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
Looks pretty close to the TPA version to me...sans the console versions which are easier because of the forgiving nudging. The Bride of Pin●Bot at Pinballz is a bit harder for me than the TPA version because of the somewhat weaker flippers which makes ramp shots almost impossible.

I have nightmares about BoP with a weak right flipper.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Look how many shots he has to take to finally make the ramp. The real game, even with full powered flippers, is difficult due to the ramp being rather steep and narrow, meaning only a straight shot will make it up. Missing it means the ball goes out of control, and often down the outlanes. That is one of the main things that makes TPA easier than real tables - more forgiveness on ramps and other shots, and less punishment for missing.
Bobby did say that weak flippers are a common issue on Brides, and there were over a dozen at the expo, all of which played differently.

Master Magician

Feb 14, 2013
So I've gotten to the Big Wheel 5 times.
4 out of the 5 were Billion point shots. The 5th was 50 million.
Supposed to be more random than that? :confused:

IronSabbath88

Feb 21, 2013
I joined the Billionaire's Club finally last night. Not once, but twice, and let me tell you, no shot in the game has made me as giddy as that one.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
I joined the Billionaire's Club finally last night. Not once, but twice, and let me tell you, no shot in the game has made me as giddy as that one.
Congratulations. I finally joined this afternoon. For the longest it seemed like there was a curse on one of the balls after metamorphysis and I never would.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
There's only been one time on the TPA version where the Big Wheel didn't get the Billion Point Shot on the first spin.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.