a futile effort?

eegad

Apr 1, 2012
i've been patiently waiting for pinball arcade to come to pc. we've been trying via the greenlight project for many months now. others have had the game for almost a year now, right? is this game EVER going to come to pc??? i wish the developers would just find another option and forget about steam at this point.....it seems like a futile effort.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
i've been patiently waiting for pinball arcade to come to pc. we've been trying via the greenlight project for many months now. others have had the game for almost a year now, right? is this game EVER going to come to pc??? i wish the developers would just find another option and forget about steam at this point.....it seems like a futile effort.

The only two systems I own which could support PA are the XBox and PC-heck yeah I agree with this!

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Why do you care, you have a Macbook?!!

I think I have an answer.

Here's a quote from another thread.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I won't buy it on my Mac, its' just an iOS port and perhaps 'ok' if you are one of the few without an iPad. But the Mac version should have the same quality as the consoles. This is lazy porting.

Last edited:

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Why do you care, you have a Macbook?!!

The Mac version of the game is simply a port of the iOS version and from what I have read on the forums is not of high quality. I too am patiently awaiting the PC version of the game since I foresee it looking and playing amazing on a high end gaming rig.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
FS said they are considering other options besides Steam, but think that is the most likely way to get it done.

night

May 18, 2012
The Mac version of the game is simply a port of the iOS version and from what I have read on the forums is not of high quality. I too am patiently awaiting the PC version of the game since I foresee it looking and playing amazing on a high end gaming rig.

Perhaps the PC version will be an Android port? I don't see it happen that FarSight is going to make a PC version, just like they didn't made a Mac version but simply port it to the Mac. Too much extra work, they can't even find time to fix bugs, platform issues, not even time to make a proper looking menu or stay on par with releases for consoles vs mobile platforms. Who is going to make the PC version, the lady who serves coffee?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Perhaps the PC version will be an Android port? I don't see it happen that FarSight is going to make a PC version, just like they didn't made a Mac version but simply port it to the Mac. Too much extra work, they can't even find time to fix bugs, platform issues, not even time to make a proper looking menu or stay on par with releases for consoles vs mobile platforms. Who is going to make the PC version, the lady who serves coffee?
I played Twilight Zone on PC during the beta for that table. It looked a lot like the 360 version, which is unsurprising, considering both PC and 360 use DirectX for their graphics processing. I believe Mike Reitmeyer is leading the PC development.

At any rate, this particular cake is not a lie. I've already had a slice. It's pretty tasty.

Mr. Pacman

Feb 28, 2012
They could have done it by now if they wanted...Steam is just a stupid excuse. They just follow the trends...PC for them has the lowest priority....It might not be as profitable as other platforms...I don't know. My only compatible device is a Galaxy Nexus and I have to say that the graphics and physics are not even close to Zen Pinball FX2 for the same platform. It is a mediocre experience and I don't think that they can do it much better for the PC...at least not for the physics. I'm dissapointed because all these licenses should have been in the hands of Silverball Studios (Pro Pinball series creators)...their remastered Timeshock table is a work of art....it looks REAL...and their physics were always state of the art. Imagine what they could have done with all these licenses...it's a shame that Farsight has these licenses.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
My only compatible device is a Galaxy Nexus and I have to say that the graphics and physics are not even close to Zen Pinball FX2 for the same platform.
Nor should they be. FX2 has leaden physics, the ball is way too heavy and it's too easy to get control. I play a lot of real pinball; TPA is far closer, warts and all, to the real thing than Zen is.

ravager

Jul 20, 2012
Nor should they be. FX2 has leaden physics, the ball is way too heavy and it's too easy to get control. I play a lot of real pinball; TPA is far closer, warts and all, to the real thing than Zen is.

Yeah, not impressed with FX2 at all. I love what Farsight did with Taxi and how they have perfectly emulated the floatiness of the ball in Genie. That game has been getting an awful lot of attention from me, lately.

I asked about the Macbook in another thread, and the general consensus is that is a bad iOS port, and to save my cash.

Mr. Pacman

Feb 28, 2012

I don't agree...the ball is like a plastic one without weight or spin and the graphics look like Visual Pinball...At least VP is free and some tables are even better looking with proper light effects etc...On Andoid, it looks and behaves like a VP app.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013

Overall, the TPA expereince is without doubt much closer to real pinball. I think to say that PFX2 had 'leaden physics' does it a little disservice though.

On a real table, the slightest change in playfield angle can have a dramatic effect on how 'heavy' the ball feels. I think both PFX2 and TPA aren't a million miles away, but to me, PFX2 feels like it's being played on a steeper incline. PFX2 also seems to handle spin better, imho.

As I've already mentioned in other posts, I freely admit to being a PFX2 convert. Give me TPA over PFX2 any day though!

The difference to me is clear. I asked myself, do I want to play a video game? Or do I want to play pinball?

TPA is of course still a video game, but it's much closer to real pinball.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I played Twilight Zone on PC during the beta for that table. It looked a lot like the 360 version, which is unsurprising, considering both PC and 360 use DirectX for their graphics processing. I believe Mike Reitmeyer is leading the PC development.

At any rate, this particular cake is not a lie. I've already had a slice. It's pretty tasty.

I would hope that, should the PC version ever materialize for the rest of us, that it would be a big step up from the 360 version. By that I mean in terms of visual fidelity. Higher resolution textures, better lighting incorporating ambient occlusion, and more accurate shaders, especially for the clear plastics and ball.

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
I can't see PC users putting up with the crap anti-aliasing and some of the low resolution graphic models as seen on the Mac.

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012

If I recall correctly, they actually build each table on PC first then go about porting it out to the consoles and mobile platforms, so the PC build would be the only build that isn't itself a port, truly.

Besides, the XBox 360 hardware is just PC hardware anyway.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

Well summed up, but they do have plenty of time to shamelessly promote tables some of us may or may not get to play.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.