PS3 or Xbox 360

PS3 or Xbox360

• Total voters
N

Nik Barbour

PS3 or Xbox360 - Those who have played or own both. If you could only keep one which would it be?

I was all set to buy a ps3 on tuesday, when the European launch was held back one month.
Now having read the ps3 initial impression thread, due to the flipper lag reports, i'm in two minds. Should I buy the 360 despite the poorer graphics?
No interest in console specific titles, this will only be for TPA and Netflix.
Also if forced to choose I'd pick game play over graphics.
Which would you go for!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I have both and I voted PS3 since I don't experience any flipper lag (I always use Game Mode and turn off all blur/jitter/gamma settings for all HDMI inputs on my TV that have a game system hooked up to it).

It sounds like the improved lighting will eventually make its way over to 360 too...but I also prefer the PS3 as a system overall.

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

Thanks Jeff.
I'd be hooking it up to 5+ yr old sony 720dpi led tv. (relegated to the back room by the wife who dosn't want to watch me play pinball.)
You don't know if the age of the tv would cause issues (flipper lag) do you?

Mark Miwurdz

Apr 7, 2012
The PS3 version looks better. The 360 version plays better largely due to the more pinball-friendly pad.

As for Netflix....?

I see you are in the UK. So am I. I can receive Netflix on both consoles. The US version is locked out on the 360, but can still be viewed on the PS3 (without an Unblock US subscription) by altering the DNS settings. Believe me, you want access to US Netflix.

N

Nik Barbour

The PS3 version looks better. The 360 version plays better largely due to the more pinball-friendly pad.

As for Netflix....?

I see you are in the UK. So am I. I can receive Netflix on both consoles. The US version is locked out on the 360, but can still be viewed on the PS3 (without an Unblock US subscription) by altering the DNS settings. Believe me, you want access to US Netflix.

Thanks for the advice!
I read somewhere that people were having issues with the 360 controller with the analogue stick threshold in regards it would nudge when you didn't want it to!

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
This is a tough choice at the moment, but i vote 360.

The PS3 version looks a fair bit nicer atm, but on the other hand the 360 version as it doesnt have the input lag that the PS3 version does. Due to the input lag of the PS3 version im sticking with the 360 version even if it doesnt look as good as the PS3 version.

When the 360 version gets its 'facelift' patch it will be a no brainer!

EbortionXsrk

Apr 4, 2012
The 360 is where you will find the top players like Roy Wils (tommycyberroy) and other pinball pros. So, I'd go for that if you're into competition.

alexk3954

Mar 8, 2012
I own both and would go with the 360. I like normal buttons and not triggers for controlling the flippers. THe bumpers on the 360 controller just feel awkward to me, L1/R1 on PS3 just feel much more natural, but this likely depends on the size of your hands. Also, I like the graphics better on PS3 and have not noticed the flipper lag people are complaining about. That, and I just like the PS3 more in general. You can't go wrong either way though, I own TPA for mac, 360, and PS3 and they are all fantastic

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I own both and would go with the 360. I like normal buttons and not triggers for controlling the flippers. THe bumpers on the 360 controller just feel awkward to me, L1/R1 on PS3 just feel much more natural, but this likely depends on the size of your hands. Also, I like the graphics better on PS3 and have not noticed the flipper lag people are complaining about. That, and I just like the PS3 more in general. You can't go wrong either way though, I own TPA for mac, 360, and PS3 and they are all fantastic

I think you meant "would go with the PS3", right? :)

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
The PS3 version will love you more... jk lol

Since your from the UK and have to wait a month for PS3, your probably better off going with the Xbox... although I dont have any problems with the PS3 version.

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
Not everyone has the flipper lag and if you do, it's easily fixed. I don't own a 360 and don't want to get one. PS3 is my console of choice. Anyway, I never liked the giant 360 controller much. Always preferred the DS3 to that. PS3 has the better lighting (although 360 players will get it later too). If I had both and could only get one, then I'd choose PS3 obviously.

I didn't vote though, as you stated you must own both to vote.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
I guess it would be the PS3 for me as i don't intend to buy the 360 at all. Ever. Although I hate console exclusivity, it would be nice to see 360 owners play God of WAR, Uncharted series, Little big planet and infamous but i digress. The PS3 may not have a lot of pro players playing it, But aren't the leader-boards fro all platforms? Every time I look at the leader-boards, I see MOBILE after the names on most of the scores along with names with nothing after it.

Tournaments should be all inclusive.

N

Nik Barbour

Not everyone has the flipper lag and if you do, it's easily fixed. I don't own a 360 and don't want to get one. PS3 is my console of choice. Anyway, I never liked the giant 360 controller much. Always preferred the DS3 to that. PS3 has the better lighting (although 360 players will get it later too). If I had both and could only get one, then I'd choose PS3 obviously.

I didn't vote though, as you stated you must own both to vote.

Sorry if not clear, I meant anyone who's played both can vote!
Thanks for the advice guy's!

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
The GPU and memory allocation is better on the 360 so technically it is capable of producing the highest quality console version. 360 users are also not stuck using a facebook leaderboard.

With Sony's latest losses (6+ billion this time) I question whether there even will be a Sony in a couple of years.

N

Nik Barbour

Could anyone answer this.......

In regards controllers......

XBOX360
Are the xbox360 bumper buttons actual buttons, or more like touch sensitive type things.
Also Which buttons are mapped to do what on this controller?

PS3
I already have a ps3 controller which I use with my android (a mate gave me his old spare one) so I already know and like this controller.
Which functions are mapped to which buttons in TPA though?

I'd hate to have to use triggers to flip. I much prefer a physical button to flip!

Last edited:

PinMike8666

Feb 20, 2012
Performance-wise, they are about equal. I'm not a tech guy, but from other people's experience it varies. Most ports I've noticed for both consoles have pretty much been identical without any major differences (such as FarSight's own PHoF: The Williams Collection). Nevermind my choice, which was the Xbox 360 since it's the only console I own of the two; for me, I like the 360 better since it suits my tastes more (huge shmup fan). I also like the 360 controller more (which is PS3 controller is like their previous controllers). At the moment, the PS3 version does have the advantage due to the better graphics.

Didn't the team show off Medieval Madness and The Machine: Bride of Pinbot on the Xbox 360 (improved lighting and all) at the Texas Pinball Festival? If so, I predict the graphics for the four tables on that version could be identical to the PS3 version pretty soon (about a month).

Last edited:

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
After being screwed over by Sony more times than I can count (on numerous products), I will never allow another Sony product in my home.

N

Nik Barbour

Thanks for all your help and advice guys!
I've just placed my Amazon order for.................
Xbox 360

Got to warn you all - I'm a technology jinx, as soon as I adopt a system or something, the manufacturer normally announces it will be replaced that week!
You might even see reports of Xbox360's spontaneously erupting in flames.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for all your help and advice guys!
I've just placed my Amazon order for.................
Xbox 360

Got to warn you all - I'm a technology jinx, as soon as I adopt a system or something, the manufacturer normally announces it will be replaced that week!
You might even see reports of Xbox360's spontaneously erupting in flames.

great choice on the 360 =) I own both PS3 and 360, but the latter definitely gets a LOT more play... Of course PS3 was worth it for some of the exclusives and blu-ray capability, but the 360 has always had a much more friendly and functional vibe in my eyes. And of course the controller is much better!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've been playing the PS3 version exclusively, but tonight I fired up the 360 version after not playing it since the PS3 version came out.....and I don't know if this is just a coincidence but with just one ball on TOTAN, I was able to beat the Genie and rescue the princess, and I doubled my PS3 high score....I didn't think I was getting any lag on PS3, but I've noticed that TOTAN has really been beating me up lately, so maybe the slight lag is the reason why (even though I don't physically see it)....the 360 version doesn't look nearly as nice, but if it plays smoother then I gotta stick with it......gameplay >>> graphics.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online