Zen Pinball - Star Wars

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmmSlXV5BMA

[Sorry, video removed, no doubt at the request of Zen or Sony or Disney]

The peeps over at BigShinyRobot snagged a pic:

starwarspinball.jpg

No stupid toys. A curiously flat design with just a couple of low ramps. Positively minimalist by Zen standards, doesn't look gimmicky.

(Are those slingshots the rear engines of Star Destroyers? Cute!)

This is the TESB table. Doesn't really scream "Empire", but there is the (odd) L-A-N-D-O rollovers. And refs to Cloud City, and AT-ATs.

The original story was posted on the PSN Blog, then removed. It said something like:

- A series of Star Wars tables for Zen Pinball 2 are planned for later this month.

- Empire Strikes Back, Clone Wars and Boba Fett tables will be available.

- Seven other Star Wars-themed tables will be announced later in the year.

- The tables will be available for both the PlayStation 3 and PS Vista. (Presumably other platforms, too, but we'll see.)

(10 tables eh? Let's hope they don't overkill it like they did the Marvel tables. We don't need Jar Jar's Big Gungan Adventure, or Aunt Beru: The Farm Years).

BTW, if you go to www.starwarspinball.com, you get LOL'd by TIE Fighters. Very cute.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Excellent...now that looks like more of a traditional style table. Can't wait to play it.

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
Now why can't FS get these big licenses, but Zen can?

As Bonzo implies... Lucasfilm was sold to Disney. Zen already had very successful deals with Disney through Marvel. They're a known quantity, and have shown they can produce the goods even with the strictest of IP requirements.

Also, FS don't create original games (at least currently). Huge difference between creating new games from scratch, and emulating/virtualising existing, known, classic games.

(Which is why I do not understand the hate that Zen get. They're doing something very different from FS, and fill a different part of the market, particularly for younger players. And, hyperbole aside, the physics aren't that different, and FS could learn a lot in terms of production design.)

Anyway... I wish Zen well. I stopped buying their tables some time back, mostly because they were too easy. But I will certainly look at their future tables. And the competition for our pinball dollars is always good.

And huge bonus points: the Star Wars table isn't filled with stupid toys, bickering at each and mouthing silly one-liners. Hopefully, a refreshing change after the bombastic Marvel tables.

Last edited:

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Ha it's been removed. I even posted a hint on their facebook page and it was romoved. They surely don't want it out quite yet.

Whoa. They've been silent for some time. It's a four pack of tables apparently. This looks good. Hopefully they can give is more gameplay. I'm heading over to the forums to see what others have to say.

Like the layout, but it looks like the ball can barely fit through that narrow flipper gap.

I know that's your biggest gripe about zen pinball. I can see your point but Zen tables are really fun. I can say that PA is getting better and better as more tables are released That's on the Physics side. I always thought the balls were a tad too floaty/bouncy for my liking but it's getting better.

(Which is why I do not understand the hate that Zen get. They're doing something very different from FS, and fill a different part of the market, particularly for younger players. And, hyperbole aside, the physics aren't that different, and FS could learn a lot in terms of production design.)

And huge bonus points: the Star Wars table isn't filled with stupid toys, bickering at each and mouthing silly one-liners. Hopefully, a refreshing change after the bombastic Marvel tables.

So true. There are some really interesting mechanics and rule sets that ZEN has produced. Aside from the very gimmicks especially in their marvel tables. ALL I know is that ZEN has much more polish on their tables that FS does.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I know that's your biggest gripe about zen pinball. I can see your point but Zen tables are really fun. I can say that PA is getting better and better as more tables are released That's on the Physics side. I always thought the balls were a tad too floaty/bouncy for my liking but it's getting better.

I used to play a lot of Zen when I first discovered it. The reason I stopped is because, for me, a lot of the fun of pinball is the challenge of keeping the ball alive, but it's just not there in Zen because of the tiny flpper gap combined with the heavy physics. It's too easy to control the ball, so I personally don't get the adrenaline rush that pinball is supposed to provide. Thankfully TPA does a much better job of capturing that.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Most of those links and blogs must have been taken down. I have a feeling they aren't quite yet ready to officially announce this yet. Wow 10 tables for the Star Wars IP? I like Star Wars but that's a nit overkill. I can't believe that the dozen tables they had mentioned that are in the works are all Star Wars based tables. Somethings amiss with that. I can see anther table pack but not all 10 tables as Star Wars.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
My apologies to Zen Studios. I didn't realize they had removed all info on the Playstation Blog until I checked it just now. Pinballfan69, please remove my quote from your post. Thanks.

Once again, my apologies.

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
Apologies, I posted this in the PS3 forum before I saw this thread... didn't mean to spam. Feel free to delete my thread.

On the subject... am really looking forward to this after suffering Marvel fatigue. The possibilities with animated tables and the wealth of quotable lines for sound samples, are incredible. I shall hold off buying any more Marvel tables now.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I've been sick of the Marvel tables forever so this should be the best news ever...
Unfortunately I think Star Wars is almost as lame as superheroes... damn.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
As Bonzo implies... Lucasfilm was sold to Disney. Zen already had very successful deals with Disney through Marvel. They're a known quantity, and have shown they can produce the goods even with the strictest of IP requirements.

Also, FS don't create original games (at least currently). Huge difference between creating new games from scratch, and emulating/virtualising existing, known, classic games.
So, it is cheaper and easier to get licenses on brand new games than it is for recreating classic, pre-existing ones?
As for Disney, they tell FS "No F****** Way" on any properties they own, yet they roll out the red carpet for Zen? Either someone at FS really pissed off someone important at Disney, or Zen has someone so persuasive (seductive?) that they charmed Disney into giving them whatever they want.

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
So, it is cheaper and easier to get licenses on brand new games than it is for recreating classic, pre-existing ones?

Oops, sorry Richard. I misread what you had said.

[snip]

Lord Boron is probably right. Trying to secure older licenses, even when Lucasfilm own the primary rights, might be a lot of trouble. There's regional deals, exclusivity, the original manufacturer's designs and IP, etc.

Last edited:

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
The level of polish that Zen titles show is sure to have scored them points. Whatever platform you play their games on, you get a consistent experience with a high level of gloss. Whatever your views of the mechanics/physics it is hard to deny the quality of presentation. Personally I love Zen tables and the sense of a gaming community that is created by their upfront online scoring system; it makes you want to have just one more go to climb up the ladder of your friends.

I don't find it to be in competition with FS but rather they compliment each other's offerings. There is an obvious leader in front end design stakes though... you only have to look at some of the Store comments to see what people think of FS new menus.

With the flipper lag issue i've not bought any TPA tables for ages, so I am really looking forward to playing some new Starwars Zen. I just hope they scatter a couple of original themed tables through the release of Starwars ones to keep a bit of variety.

Tie Fighters being chased by X-Wings over a pinball table - yes please!

Last edited:

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012

I would say it probably is. Not only would varsity have to pay Disney, the also have to pay the manufacture of the original machine. Not sure about having to license the character likenesses from the actors because Lucasfilm pretty much owns those outright and can use them any way they want.

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
I would say it probably is. Not only would varsity have to pay Disney, the also have to pay the manufacture of the original machine. Not sure about having to license the character likenesses from the actors because Lucasfilm pretty much owns those outright and can use them any way they want.

I recall Carrie Fisher saying that everytime she looks at herself in the mirror she has to pay George Lucas a royalty... or words to that effect.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I find it very ironic that I'm learning about the big Zen news that they've been hinting about for weeks on this forum first. There's nothing about this breaking news on their forum yet. Looks like 2013 is going to be a good year for Pinball all around though.

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
I find it very ironic that I'm learning about the big Zen news that they've been hinting about for weeks on this forum first. There's nothing about this breaking news on their forum yet. Looks like 2013 is going to be a good year for Pinball all around though.

There has been stuff on the Zen forum but it barely lasts a minute or two before getting pulled. Even a thread that didn't mention the franchise directly got pulled. It's a pity as it is totally ineffectual at this stage; a quick Google of starwars pinball pulls up a ton of stuff all over the internet now on different gaming websites and forums. I should check the search engine caches to see if anything is left of the original PS Blog posts...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts