Request Classic 60's GTB EM

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
As a greater number of PHOF tables are completed, I hope that we'll soon see Central Park. I know I'm probably in the minority wanting more of the 60's Gottlieb games but they have a true hardcore pinball action I find addictive. If it were up to me, I'd love to see a dozen or two of the Gottlieb (and a few Bally/Williams) games from the late fifties through about 1966. Realistically, however, I know that's not possible since there are so many more modern tables to be done and the demand for these older games is not as high (I love modern games as well).

So I thought I'd try to think of the fewest number of classic Gottlieb EM's that cover the most diverse playstyles from the EM era where Gottlieb was king.

1. Slick Chick - perhaps overhyped due to a lot of media attention when focusing on classic EM's, but it is a very clever game that is a blast to play. A lot of variety in play and a unique layout. If only one 60's GTB EM were to come to fruition, this is probably the best choice. It was also reportedly David Gottlieb's favorite game that they produced, and would be a great example of Wayne Neyens design and Roy Parker's art.

2. Central Park - It has a lot of great shots and the slingshots so high make it very interesting. Since they've already done this one before, I think it's a reasonable compromise to make this the second choice if only two early 60's machines are done. This would also recognize Ed Krynski with an example of his design work. If they only did two from this list, I'd actually rather see Crosstown than Central Park, but since they have past experience with CP it's probably the more logical choice. However, Slick Chick and Crosstown would be two machines that cover the two major designers and artists of Gottlieb's EM dominance.

3. If a third machine were done, a rollover game would be a good choice - Kings and Queens or Cover Girl. I love rollover games much more than drop targets for some reason and there were lots of rollover games in the sixties. Kings and Queens, while some say is overhyped due to its media presence, is a fine machine with good play and deserves the attention it gets. Cover Girl's playfield is clever in diverting the ball enough so it's not a drain machine, yet the gobble holes present a true danger if not careful. You can make most shots but can't take chances. Sometimes you have to make shots of opportunity to minimize risk. Also, unlike some other Gottlieb rollover games, it's fair in the sense that if you make the skillshot you can spot what you need from the center target and don't have to drain a ball to score a rollover on the outlanes. Kings and Queens would probably get more support and is more historic and easier to market, and I'm OK with that. Part of it could be the only K and Q machine I got to play was not in optimal condition. I'd be happy with either of these.

4. A fast-action catch-all for great playing mid-sixties EM's. Crosstown. A deceptively simple layout provides plenty of action. It's a great player. This would also give a place to represent Art Stenholm who took over as artist after Roy Parker. It's an Ed Krynski design, but is based on an earlier Wayne Neyens AAB game (Flipper Fair).

5. An add-a-ball game. Not considering the games they duplicated with both AAB and replay machines, I think Majorettes would be the choice. An addictive game with the strangest layout ever. Learning to use your flippers to simply stay out of the way of the ball is a great experience. This one is usually high in the various EM lists and for good reason. This choice might be getting too esoteric and I would be amazed, though happy, if it were ever done.

So that would be my list of great GTB EM's to be done. Knowing that Farsight couldn't (and probably shouldn't) focus on too many older machines, I'm hoping that a couple from this list (or even four or five!) will someday see the light of day in permanent TPA immortality.

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
I'd be surprised if we didn't eventually see a few of the tables you've mentioned. Farsight has made their intention clear to represent some of the EM spectrum of pinball.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts