Request How About A Two-DMD Pack?

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
If what I've seen in the forums here is indicative of broader trends, it seems that there is some dissension over the soon-to-be-released Table Pack #11. Much of this is because many feel that neither table could carry a pack, but many have also expressed disappointment over no DMD table this month. Therefore, why not have a two-DMD pack to make up the difference? I appreciate the older tables, but personally believe that the DMDs are where the money is at for FS, so this move could prove profitable for FS as well.

If FS do undertake a two-DMD pack, which two should it be? I would probably say Airborne and Party Zone—not only are both are unlicensed tables with decent popularity, but they both draw from the same inspirations as one of the tables from Table Pack #11, whch would make for a great wink to the loyal fans. Does this sound like a good idea to you guys?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I think one of the big challenges is the number of DMD SS tables produced that are available to do without licensing issues does not leave a lot of options. Unless they start getting licenses addressed with Stern and expand their contract with WMS (they mentioned they are only able to produce a finite number of Bally/Williams tables under their current contract without renegotiating), they will not have a lot of available DMD tables they can create. If anything, you will be seeing more pre-DMD SS tables bundled with another pre-DMD SS or even an EM down the road.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Well, DMD isn't really the be-all end all. Many great ones don't have a DMD. Lack of tech doesn't mean a lack of fun. Some of the old EMs like Big Shot surprised me with how... interesting they were (the first I tri3ed was Jive Time and that was... boring). But yeah, I do prefer the depth that SS brought, and lack of DMD isn't really a huge drawback.

Plus, the DMD era didn't really spawn off that many tables, less of which are really notable. I think the pickings are starting to get a bit slim because the transition was early 90s.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I'm starting to feel like they owe us this (a 2 DMD game pack). Especially those of use who play (theoretically only at this point) on console. Count me as a "me too" on this request.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I was thinking I wish they would more non DMD tables. Just because something is shinier, doesn't make it better. (unless your a cat....)

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Problem is there aren't that many DMD games compared to non-DMD ones. For Williams, I think the DMD era only lasted a decade or so before WMS closed down their pinball division. In that time, they only released what, a dozen or so tables? And most of which are already on TPA?

There's a lot of fun non-DMD ones I'd like to see... though I'd wish they'd fix the non-DMD display bug - some pins have the display side-by-side, others as two rows. I'd like the side-by-side ones to actually show up side-by-side - it takes less space and a lot of the display effects work better that way.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Problem is there aren't that many DMD games compared to non-DMD ones. For Williams, I think the DMD era only lasted a decade or so before WMS closed down their pinball division. In that time, they only released what, a dozen or so tables? And most of which are already on TPA?

There's a lot of fun non-DMD ones I'd like to see... though I'd wish they'd fix the non-DMD display bug - some pins have the display side-by-side, others as two rows. I'd like the side-by-side ones to actually show up side-by-side - it takes less space and a lot of the display effects work better that way.

Bally/Williams released 43 DMD tables during the 90's give or take one or two.

Apr 8, 2012
I enjoy tables from all eras and will buy everything Farsight cares to release. I don't feel like they "owe us" anything. The only reason I'm replying to this thread is that there seems to be a very vocal group of posters in these forums who think their opinions are the right opinions and I see a need for some balance. I would welcome a 2 DMD table pack, a 2 EM table pack, a 2 early SS table pack, or any other combination of tables.

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
Well, DMD isn't really the be-all end all. Many great ones don't have a DMD. Lack of tech doesn't mean a lack of fun. Some of the old EMs like Big Shot surprised me with how... interesting they were (the first I tri3ed was Jive Time and that was... boring). But yeah, I do prefer the depth that SS brought, and lack of DMD isn't really a huge drawback.

Plus, the DMD era didn't really spawn off that many tables, less of which are really notable. I think the pickings are starting to get a bit slim because the transition was early 90s.

I certainly agree that DMDs aren't the be-all and end-all, but Generations X & Y are in the driver's seat where popular culture is concerned and I guarantee that the bulk of their memories about pinball centers on the DMD era. For the record, I feel ill at ease saying they owe us a makeup DMD, but have no issue with saying that it is probably the ideal tactical move. Also, may I enquire as to the status of Alvin G. & Co. reproduction rights? Mystery Castle looks like great fun and I've heard promising things about Pistol Poker.

Last edited:

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Pa owns me nothing. And i enjoy almost any table, but i would like to see more modern tables. Its just more fun in longer stints, playing an hour or longer.

Pinhead45

Dec 30, 2012
Farsight's pretty smart if you think about it. They put out an advanced table (DMD) with a simple one (EM) this way you are forced to buy an EM table even if you don't want it or not. If they put 2 EM tables out at the same time sales would plummet, so they are most likely going to do one of each a month. I bet last month's pack had low sales, not having a DMD table. I questioned buying it myself.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Yes, all of you cellphone/iOS players are so super happy. You are not the only players. Lot of PS3 users still not so happy. Pretty much all 360 players could be a lot happier. People waiting for PC or Wii U could be happier. Also worth noting that Bally/Williams isn't the only company that they have a license for, and isn't the only company to make DMD games.

No, a DMD doesn't make a game automatically better, BUT the DMD era coincided with more powerful hardware, deeper rules/modes/etc., - aka - the games can "do" more. It still has to "do" things you find interesting, but a Ferrari Enzo can go only 60mph if you want it to, but a (stock) Fiat 500 can't go 190mph no matter how hard you wish.

Post all you want. DMD games (and maybe System 11 in a tie) are the most popular. Farsight can do better. Farsight should do better. Farsight should reward our fandom with a 2-DMD game pack. TPA isn't perfect, but if you want it to be as close as it can be, the last thing you should do is say that "good is good enough".

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
If FS do undertake a two-DMD pack, which two should it be? I would probably say Airborne and Party Zone—not only are both are unlicensed tables with decent popularity, but they both draw from the same inspirations as one of the tables from Table Pack #11, whch would make for a great wink to the loyal fans. Does this sound like a good idea to you guys?

Airborne... Does FS have the licensing capabilities to make Capcom games? If so, I'd like to see Breakshot and Big Bang Bar (if by some miracle they could get their hands on one of the repros) over anything else. Airborne/PZ doesn't really sound like a table pack I would be routing for. I for one like the variety of the old with the new and filling the lack of early 80s Bally/Stern games (Fathom, EBD, Seawitch, Stargazer, Frontier, I could go on and on) would be my vote over a double DMD pack. This is of course after they run out of re-releases, because my understanding is that FS will always be pairing those with a new table until they are through with them.

Last edited:

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Yea, but an old 1962 Ferrari GTO is far more desirable and valuable to collectors than an Enzo is.

To own. To enjoy the lines of in the garage. To watch appreciate in value. To take for the occasional spin. Not to drive every single time they get the chance to really have fun with it, like the Enzo. And, yes, I like the '62 GTO more than the Enzo, but I don't think it's as easy to say that DMD games aren't as "pretty" as EM/Alphanumeric games. Also, I doubt there are many owners who would dream of driving a '62 GTO to anything approaching 190mph.:)

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I'd totally go for an Airborne/Party Zone pack. Maybe I'd rather see Black Rose/Hurricane, or Who Dunnit/JunkYard, or Mystery Castle/Jolly Park (yeah right!), or Pinball Magic/Road Show, but I'd be down. Grand Prix (Stern)/Jack*Bot might be on par with Airborne/Party Zone. And that's not even mentioning the most obvious tables, like White Water, Fish Tales, Champion Pub, The Getaway, Big Bang Bar, or ones where the license might not be insane, like Congo, Corvette, Monopoly, RCT, Indianapolis 500, WCS'94, Judge Dredd, The Shadow, TFTC, Johnny Mnemonic, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Starship Troopers, Dirty Harry, Twister, etc.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It's all subjective. I'd take the ’62 over the Enzo any day of the week, even as a daily driver. Everyone has their own tastes. I'd also much rather listen to Dylan bootlegs from the early 60’s than any modern music.

Personally, I've put way more time into Black Hole than I have TOTAN, TOM, and RBION combined.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
It's all subjective. I'd take the ’62 over the Enzo any day of the week, even as a daily driver. Everyone has their own tastes. I'd also much rather listen to Dylan bootlegs from the early 60’s than any modern music.

Personally, I've put way more time into Black Hole than I have TOTAN, TOM, and RBION combined.

Know what a '62 GTO goes for? What the maintenance costs? What your insurance rates would be if you told the insurance company that you actually drive the thing? What fixing just a fender-bender would cost? It's not practical, even if you (and I) would "prefer" it to the Enzo.

And BH is cool for it's age, but that doesn't mean that it gets the kind of play from "joe-cellphone-player" that it does from you, or I, and there are a lot more of them, than there are of us (core fans).

I like Dylan. I love 60's music, and 50's/60's Italian sports/race cars. But I like Daft Punk more, and I'd rather daily drive something that isn't going to break down as often, simply because it hasn't been on this earth for 50 years. Modern doesn't mean bad, old doesn't mean good - and vice-versa. I'm about what is best, not what era it is from. As an example, I'd take architectural and furniture design from the Art Deco/Modernism movement era (20's-early 40's) over anything in those categories done since, but I'd much rather have a Samsung Galaxy IV than one of those big-ol' 80's doctor/lawyer/drug dealer cellphones.

I hate bootlegs though, I need fidelity, and I want the artist to get paid.

Oh, and I massively prefer my music on Vinyl, but I have a huge MP3/MP4 collection too.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Ha, I thought you were talking as if money was no issue. A man can dream right? :)

But anyway, I'm not saying older is always better. I'm just saying everyone has different tastes, that's all. Personally, I prefer the older when it comes to a lot of things (music, guitars, pinball, etc.), but I can't speak for everyone.

DMD tables are more popular, no doubt. The older machines definitely have a faithful following though, and even people that didn't care for them before are digging them now thanks to TPA, VP, etc.

I lean toward older pins, but I do like the newer tables as well. As with music, I don't think of it in terms of one era being "the best". Every era has it's bright spots. There's great and and not-so great machines from every decade, just like there's a variety of bands from each as well. It comes down to the individual table (and song) design and layout. Being more technically advanced and more complex doesn't automatically make anything "the best". The different decades have their own style and characteristics, and that's where taste comes in. For me, I like my drop targets the way I like my guitar solos. ;)

I think Farsight is wise to bring us the best of both worlds, catering to the whole spectrum of pinball fans. The balance is good.

There's also a significantly less DMD tables to choose from, so they'd extinguish their options much faster if they released two a month on a regular basis.

BTW, The Dylan bootleg albums are official releases, so he's certainly getting paid...and the quality is the same as his early albums because the songs are studio recordings. It's just stuff that couldn't fit on the albums at the time because he recorded so much back then (luckily for me since it's some of his best stuff, IMO).

And I couldn't take more than 30 seconds of Daft Punk, but to each their own. That's my whole point :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.