Putting pins onsite

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Looking into maybe buying a couple of 'fixxer upper' pins to learn how to repair them and getting them onsite in a couple of places, I simply don't have room to have them at home.

I'm thinking of contacting a couple of local hotels/pubs to ask them if they'd be interested and asking if they would agree to a 50/50 split on any takings, the money I would make would go straight back into the maintenance of the pin.

Does this idea sound feasible? Are there any pitfalls I need to consider?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I'm not qualified to give you any advice but that sounds like an awesome idea. Only thing I can think of is start small, 1 table and see how that goes. I wish someone would do that around here. What vintage of table are are thinking of? the newer the better I would have thought, easier to get spares, more reliable but more expensive in the first place. I'm not sure of the reality of it but 50/50 seems like you are losing out there, obviously they are supplying the space and the power but it may bring customers to them, you probably won't make any money for a long time considering you have to buy it, fix it up and maintain it.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Well one of the potential places is a holiday lodge park, so I'm thinking something like Fish Tales or Tee'd Off, family friendly and fits the 'theme' of being on holiday.

I'm not looking to turn a profit, probably would be set up for 50p a play. They already have fruit machines and a DDR game so I'm thinking they might be OK with adding a pin to that.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
That sounds great, The day I bought my Getaway it was a toss up between that and a fishtales, the FT went for £1400 which I thought was a bit much. Go for it and good luck.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
That sounds great, The day I bought my Getaway it was a toss up between that and a fishtales, the FT went for £1400 which I thought was a bit much. Go for it and good luck.

£1400 for a FT is a bit much. Friend of mine paid £900 and it was basically mint after a clean.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
That was a good buy, right place at the right time I guess. How long ago was that? everything has gone up over the past year. If I came across a mint FT now for £900 I'd jump at it.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
About 6 months ago.

The yahoo ukpinball group is the best place to buy. If you're after something specific just post a wanted on there.

N

Nik Barbour

Carl, when you were looking for other pinball players on the machine you play in Windermere, didn't you say the Barman, when asked said no one other than you played it?

Also if you're looking to buy fixer uppers, with no room at home, where are you going to fix them up?
A stripped machine takes more room than a working one.

Not trying to bring you down mate, I know those sound like negative questions. :)
There is a very nice looking Firepower on ebay nr Southampton for £750 buy it now, noticed yesterday.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Carl, when you were looking for other pinball players on the machine you play in Windermere, didn't you say the Barman, when asked said no one other than you played it?

This is true, but you'll get tourists coming to the place in mind. The POTC machine I play on does get use besides myself as I've noticed there's scores from a previous game when I've gone to use it.

As for the space issue to repair, well I don't have the answer to that yet.

N

Nik Barbour

Good luck with it mate!

If you need storage for some working (free play) tables, I'm a 90 mile drive for you, but am happy to help. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.