National Pinball Museum Closing

N

netizen

Baltimore's year-old National Pinball Museum, a pinging, clanging, tilting tribute to the flipper machines that have been mainstays of American popular culture for decades, will be shutting its doors March 3.

The museum, which re-located to Baltimore from Georgetown in January of last year, has once again fallen victim to the terms of its lease agreement, owner David Silverman wrote in an email Tuesday evening to supporters. Silverman, whose 600-plus machines formed the core of the museum's collection, said he could not afford to keep it open.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/20/national-pinball-museum-closing_n_2722679.html

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Damn, I only went one time and really enjoyed myself. What's he gonna do with all those machines?

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
I was there last month and was able to play eight different machines (as many times as I liked) featured in The Pinball Arcade. I had an absolute blast playing Gorgar, Black Knight, and Black Hole (a game that was even fun to lose, because when the last ball drains the machine emits an echoing effect that sounds like you've just inhaled nitrous oxide! I had forgotten just how awesome that machine sounded! Why is that sound not in TPA?)

Then I wrang out Funhouse and Twilight Zone (along with Whirlwind, Earthshaker, The Addam's Family, Road Show, and Safecracker) and I even managed to get the powerball up onto the Fight the Power playfield.

Creature from the Black Lagoon gave me several great games, Star Trek: TNG was fun but tough, and I even enjoyed playing Theatre of Magic despite the machine looking pretty ragged and missing sound entirely.

I also got to play great examples of Fireball and White Water there, two more titles we should be seeing in the TPA this year.

There were dozens of other fantastic tables there, most of which were in excellent playing condition, but two that stood out were Revenge From Mars, and Big Bang Bar. TPA should do whatever it takes to get those two tables into our game.

ClaudeHenrySmoot

Apr 27, 2012
CRAP! I was planning a trip there to balance out a not-as-fun trip to the National Aquarium. The good news is it sounds like they're looking to relocate. Hopefully somewhere a bit easier for me to get to.

Edan-Grossman

Jan 19, 2013
I was there 2 months ago and I had a great time. I'm really saddened to see it go, but maybe they will move somewhere closer to where I live (just west of DC). I'm not sure where the 600 number came from, but I'd say that they had closer to 200 machines available for play. I played the tables that were recreated in TPA to see how close they are in comparison and I was pretty impressed. I learned a lot about the history of pinball and saw how the games evolved over time and it was very interesting. I really hope that they reopen soon, It'll probably be another year and I was hoping to visit them again over my spring break the week of March 25. I guess I'll need to find another place to play pinball. Or I could buy my own machine.

ravager

Jul 20, 2012
According to their website there are 70 playable tables. I think my buddy and I are going to go Saturday, and I will probably be hogging Gorgar and Black Hole. :)

ravager

Jul 20, 2012
McGuirk, have you been to the Silverball Pinball Museum at Asbury Park? Saw a video on Youtube and it looks special.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
McGuirk, have you been to the Silverball Pinball Museum at Asbury Park? Saw a video on Youtube and it looks special.

Yeah, I love that place. Wish they had a few more tables, like CV and CFTBL3D, but it's amazing. So easy to lose time there. Glad they reopened after Hurricane Sandy. If I go to Baltimore this weekend, I might as well stop at Silverball on the way back home. Though right now, the trip isn't looking likely.

Punisher

Jan 5, 2013
Huh, that's about an hour drive from me. I should check that place out.

Yeah, I love that place. Wish they had a few more tables, like CV and CFTBL3D, but it's amazing. So easy to lose time there. Glad they reopened after Hurricane Sandy. If I go to Baltimore this weekend, I might as well stop at Silverball on the way back home. Though right now, the trip isn't looking likely.
What? No CV? Sheesh. I've been jonesing for that table. What do they got, there?

Punisher

Jan 5, 2013

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
Huh, interesting. That list is incomplete. There's way more arcades with pins in my area. And it shocked the living daylights out of me that there's no Cirqus Voltaire at all in New Jersey! What on earth!?
The site depends on user submission and feedback, so I'm sure there are people not aware of it, or forget to update it. It's helped me track down a few places to go to; I'm probably going to hit NYC just to play Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Punisher

Jan 5, 2013
Ah, yeah, I heard of that place. Seems a bit out of the way, compared to the one in Asbury, lol. For me, that place is about halfway up the road from the Poconos, from where I live.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts