Hello, from a new pinball lover

whirlspell

Feb 22, 2013
Hey everyone! New pinball fan here. I played lots of Microsoft Pinball growing up, as did lots of people my age (and everyone else), but never thought seriously about it until last year, at PAX Prime 2012 in Seattle. PAX (both East and West now) has an arcade room, and last year they had a beautiful Bride of Pinbot machine that I got absolutely hooked on. Throughout the rest of the trip I kept running into more pinball machines at bars, and when I went home I missed it. Some searching brought me to TBA - thank goodness!

Because of the way I got hooked, Bride of Pinbot is still my favorite table, although Black Knight and Attack from Mars are close behind. I play primarily on Android, but recently bought the PS3 and versions, as I have both. The Vita version is beautiful, but the screen's aspect ration is a downer for the game, and I haven't gone back to it. My PS3 version has the notorious lag, which seems absolutely unplayable to me. I bought the Bride of Pinbot table pack before even starting up the game (how's that for trust) and was sorely disappointed. Really hoping it gets fixed soon, especially since we just found out that PS3 downloadable games will not transfer over to PS4. :(

I'm an IT professional and received a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 for a holiday gift from my boss. I'm a huge Windows 8 fan (Microsoft fan in general) and absolutely love the tablet. A true 16:9 aspect ration is absolutely ideal for pinball games in portrait mode, even better than 16:10 android tabs or the iPad. Pinball FX2 is a blast, although the graphics aren't very optimized, as many have pointed out. I don't think I'll buy any tables except the Star Wars pack that comes out next week. I can't wait for TBA on Windows 8! I'm ever so hopeful that they'll go through the trouble of Xbox certification, as I have terrible experiences with TBA's alleged "friends list" feature (I simply can't get it to work, grrr) and would love to compete with my Xbox Live friends for high scores, since many of them already play on Xbox 360. This is my favorite thing about FX2 - something that Zen really nailed, although the fake tables aren't really up my alley. Plus, Xbox certification for the Windows 8 app would mean Xbox controller functionality, and enable superfans to be able to build home-made cabs for both large displays as well as smaller tablets. A friend of mine has made several DIY fighting sticks for Xbox, so I know there's a level of ease that's associated with making custom controls for Xbox. I assume this carries over to Xbox-certified Win8 apps, and think this would be a great asset to hardcore TBA fans.

Anyways... what a rant! I'm sort of known for that. I don't even remember what it's like to write only one paragraph at a time.

Thanks to all who make this a great community - I've been watching the forums for a few months, as this is the best place to go for analysis, tips, and to make sure I'm not crazy (PS3 lag).

OH YEAH - I'm going to the Texas Pinball Festival next month and am SOOOOOO excited to be able to finally play IRL versions of Black Knight, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Attack from Mars, and all the other TBA tables I've seen in person before. Anyone else going?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Welcome to the forum whirlspell. I'm planning on taking my daughter to the Texas Pinball Festival this year. We plan to spend most of Saturday (March 16th) at the event that way we have a chance to meet the staff at FarSight Studios and of course play pinball to our heart's content. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of the PAF forum members there as well. Who else is going?

@FarSight....Please bring all the unreleased tables you have for Xbox 360 to the festival. I would like to try them out and see what I can look forward to in the near future. I wouldn't mind getting a sneak peek at a few tables you're almost done with as well. ;)

whirlspell

Feb 22, 2013
Thanks guys! I was so excited to discover the Texas Pinball Fest, as it comes right at the peak of my fairly new pin obsession. I've even scoped out a Street Fighter II (terrible backglass and all) pin at a laundromat down the street for me to practice on. It's tough finding decent machines to play IRL when there's no big bar scene around, and certainly no arcades :(

Can't wait to see the Farsight booth and hopefully buy some merch from them, if they have any. As if throwing my money at them for tables on 3 platforms isn't enough. :p I'm just heartbroken I didn't get in on either of the Kickstarters so far!

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Hi whirlspell.

You guys are lucky to live in country with so many pinball festivals and other places to play! Here in the UK I find it quite rare to see a decent table.

Members online

Members online