Dr. Dude

night

May 18, 2012
iPad2 iOS6
I noticed a black horizontal line in the playfield of Dr. Dude. See piccy.

drdude.jpg

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
"Game Over"

What happened? Did you trip on it and hurt yourself? Has it really ruined your ability to enjoy this great table? Have you ever played a REAL pinball table? Some of them have playfields where the art is half worn away, but still deliver a great game. In MANY cases, embedded lights aren't quite flush with the playfield causing the ball to deflect wickedly, but it's still pinball.

Anyone who could look at these tables and conclude that Farsight doesn't care about the art is simply being stupid. The art is clearly a TREMENDOUS PRIORITY. But don't you think it's more important to get a playable game at a decent framerate? If anyone has their priorities screwed up it's YOU.

night

May 18, 2012
"Game Over"

What happened? Did you trip on it and hurt yourself? Has it really ruined your ability to enjoy this great table? Have you ever played a REAL pinball table? Some of them have playfields where the art is half worn away, but still deliver a great game. In MANY cases, embedded lights aren't quite flush with the playfield causing the ball to deflect wickedly, but it's still pinball.

Anyone who could look at these tables and conclude that Farsight doesn't care about the art is simply being stupid. The art is clearly a TREMENDOUS PRIORITY. But don't you think it's more important to get a playable game at a decent framerate? If anyone has their priorities screwed up it's YOU.

Dude, whatever you're on, stop using it.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
On iPad Retina those lines are barely visible. Actually, I didn't notice them until you put the arrows up to identify them.

Could be slight tearing of the graphics, but its practically cosmetic, probably a result of optimizing the table for iPad. Much ado about nothing.

On the Retina you can see the seams and creases (wear and tear) in the table because the scans of the REAL table are such high quality. It gives the tables character. ;)

night

May 18, 2012
On iPad Retina those lines are barely visible. Actually, I didn't notice them until you put the arrows up to identify them.

Could be slight tearing of the graphics, but its practically cosmetic, probably a result of optimizing the table for iPad. Much ado about nothing.

On the Retina you can see the seams and creases (wear and tear) in the table because the scans of the REAL table are such high quality. It gives the tables character. ;)

It was the first time I noticed, but I want to be sure it's not my iPad. Hey I wonder, I don't have a retina display (iPad2), is there a real difference in graphics anyway? (Less jaggies?)

night

May 18, 2012
Thanks for posting! Yes, it looks a bit smoother, there are jaggies around the 3D elements as well, although I doubt if you will ever notice them on your display as this is a full resolution shot.
And I see the 'black line' is hardly visible on the retina.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I see the black line as well on my android. Elvira and the Party Monsters has it too.

Dude, whatever you're on, stop using it.
I think he mistakenly thought that your signature line was a comment on the art glitch. He got mad bro.

Last edited:

Duchess

Feb 16, 2013
That's so strange. Just a side note..I don't have the red/green wires on my image of this table. I have a Kindle Fire HD. The curly wires that go from the side of the guitar and table to the mix master turntable. They're just not there. Is it just my version of the table? Or my Kindle that doesn't show them?

N

netizen

That's so strange. Just a side note..I don't have the red/green wires on my image of this table. I have a Kindle Fire HD. The curly wires that go from the side of the guitar and table to the mix master turntable. They're just not there. Is it just my version of the table? Or my Kindle that doesn't show them?

If you want to read about the changes that were necessary for Android, and by default Kindle, then go and read the Beta 1.11.0 thread to see what had to be changed on the table to solve beta bugs.

Some of it was removing wires, some of it was overdraw issues etc.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Though I really don't like this table, I do play it quite often. Why? FarSight did a really good job with the table art. The printing and colors look really accurate to me. Even the mylar lines around the slings look nice. And I'm playing it on an iPad Mini. I can only imagine it's even sharper on a retina screen. I'm assuming it turned out so well because of more development time. It's been on TPA's game list since the beginning.

With that said we all know that the mobile platforms can't do the dynamic lighting that's available on the consoles so my view with them is to just be faithful to original artwork under a neutral color temperature. And while you're at it, fix Cactus Canyon's (a table I LOVE!) contrast/color temp. mess! ;)

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Those types of graphical hitches were very apparent on both of my sisters Android devices, and my pinball friends Android device (that and a juttery, awful framerate) Honestly I don't even know how he can stand it. His phone isn't even old, either. Neither are my sisters devices.

Anyways considering it doesn't happen on newer Ipads, or my 4S phone... means Ipad 2 is getting old... they're updating the engine at the peril of older Idevices... do you still get 60 fps?

Makes sense too, actually, that this happens on Dr. Dude. Because it is clear that Farsight has upped the geometry in newer tables. Compare the wires in Dude to those in Cirqus Voiltaire... compare the ramps to those in Arabian, or Bride... yeah. More polygons, lots more... And as another person pointed out, this is a type of "tear", not in the art, but in the rendering of the table. It's a hardware issue.

BTW that screenshot is stunning. You can see the damn mylar around the slings... Jesus, talk about attention to detail. That's incredible.

Last edited:

night

May 18, 2012
iPad2 I bought a year ago, and it is still sold, my dad got one for Christmas. The iPad mini is just the same as the iPad2, just a smaller screen, sold in every Apple store. If the iPad2/mini is considered as old stuff then that's pretty sad but I am not going to buy a new iPad every year, I don't think so. I am amazed to see the kind of games that will run on this device, games that look just spectaculair. (What till we see Pro Pinball! Zen looks amazing as well, Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot).

DD looks well done. Besides a lower polygon count, the older tables are visual eye-candies. You can see they put love and dedication in TOTAN, BOP and FH for example. When I look at CC I wonder.. what the f*ck happenend here, where is the standard? Why didn't TZ show the same quality as TOM, FH, Taxi? Look at the quality of CV's Ringmaster and put it next to side with CC Cowboy.. Look at the resolution of the table art of TOTAN, FH, TOM, compare it with CC, which is a blurry mess. The standard is just all over the place. With some exceptions, the older tables look waaaaayy better than than TPA's recent releases.

Last edited:

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
I agree. It looks like CC was rush (consider the color correction issues), while the older tables look very polished. They did put a note under the news thread that a graphic update is coming "in a few months", so maybe when they have a spare moment they will tweak the new tables to fix some of the glaring issues.

Speaking of iPads, the iPad 3 still stands up great, while the iPad 4 is supposed to be quite a bit faster in the graphics department. The rumored iPad 5 is supposed to have double or triple the graphic power of the iPad 4.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.