What Mechanics And/Or Design Choices Do You Wish Appeared More Frequently In Pinball?

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
Pinball has changed dramatically over the years, so many elements that were once commonplace have now all but vanished—what turns do you wish pinball had (or hadn't) taken in terms of mechanics and design? Here's my own take:

-Count-ups: Does anyone know if any manufacturer other than Gottlieb ever used these in their tables? Anyway, I really like the idea of having a count-up as opposed to a countdown—it rewards good risk-reward calculations with big points and discourages simply avoiding the shot if you miss it. Unfortunately, neither Williams nor SegaEaStern seem to have taken to it and it really baffles me as to why.

-In-game currency: This is another idea that originated with Gottlieb, but unlike count-ups, it has proven to have some legs, with Zen using currency systems in Blade & Moon Knight. This would add a whole new level of risk vs. reward to pinball if it became a common feature—do you take what you can afford now and run or save up for the big item you really want? You could also use it as a way to ease some of the woodchopping innate in so much of modern pinball by allowing players to buy progress towards one of the table goals.

-Non-movie licenses: I think this is the biggest reason I don't mind Marvel Pinball—if nothing else, it's a break from yet another Hollywood blockbuster theme. This only really started around 2008 or so—did Stern need the money that badly? I, for one, can't imagine TPA without Elvira, Twilight Zone or the Universal Movie Monsters tables, so I really find it a crying shame that Stern haven't shown a little more initiative in this department as of late.

Well, those are the top 3 on my pinball design wishlist. What do you guys want to see more of in pinball?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
-Count-ups: Does anyone know if any manufacturer other than Gottlieb ever used these in their tables? Anyway, I really like the idea of having a count-up as opposed to a countdown—it rewards good risk-reward calculations with big points and discourages simply avoiding the shot if you miss it. Unfortunately, neither Williams nor SegaEaStern seem to have taken to it and it really baffles me as to why.
The Short Circuit round in No Good Gofers starts at 2M and counts up, although not particularly quickly.

-In-game currency: This is another idea that originated with Gottlieb, but unlike count-ups, it has proven to have some legs, with Zen using currency systems in Blade & Moon Knight. This would add a whole new level of risk vs. reward to pinball if it became a common feature—do you take what you can afford now and run or save up for the big item you really want? You could also use it as a way to ease some of the woodchopping innate in so much of modern pinball by allowing players to buy progress towards one of the table goals.
Red & Ted's Road Show lets you buy items with points, and later on you can sell them back for more points. Whodunnit? and Sopranos allow you to bet points on games of roulette and poker, respectively.

-Non-movie licenses: I think this is the biggest reason I don't mind Marvel Pinball—if nothing else, it's a break from yet another Hollywood blockbuster theme. This only really started around 2008 or so—did Stern need the money that badly? I, for one, can't imagine TPA without Elvira, Twilight Zone or the Universal Movie Monsters tables, so I really find it a crying shame that Stern haven't shown a little more initiative in this department as of late.
Stern's AC/DC and the forthcoming Metallica. More generally, I agree, it would be nice to see something that isn't movie or music.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I love ramps and drop targets. I know they are common, but I'm a "the more the merrier" type when it comes to both. Not the most complex or specific, I know, but still, they just feel the most most satisfying to shoot (other than bashes). Ramps give the ball the most travel (especially since it's off the wood), and drop targets are radically more satisfying to shoot than stationary/standard targets - especially when they both drop and light a light on the playfield.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Honestly, I'd like to see a return to simpler EM style tables. I think it would be a cost effective way to get pinball into most homes. It doesn't have to be the only thing going but it would be nice to have an option.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I like the ability to choose at the beginning of the game wich side or song I will play. I have a couple good concepts that feature this.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Just found out last night...Demolition Man's "AcMag" round counts up as well.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
I like the multi- leveled targets that build up to a multiball, like in DR Who. Wouldn't mind seeing more of that.
I love how Medeivil Madnes and Attack From Mars let you decide which flipper to launch to. This should become a standard on all none-plunger tables.
Oh and frack pinball 2000. I played Revenge From Mars, and that Pepper's Ghost BS only obscures half your playfield and doesn't add anything worthwhile. NOT the way to go STERN!

Zeether

Sep 22, 2012
The P2K mechanic is really cool, and on TOPcast Pat Lawlor said you could implement it in other ways. I'd love to see someone try that.

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
I've always been a sucker for both kick-out holes and inline drop targets. Paragon, my favorite table, has both. Eight Ball Deluxe, another favorite, also has both. Hmm.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
The reverbed voice calls from Centaur. They are so fracking awesome and the tech was never used again. FarSight better get that squawk and talk right or I'm not gonna be a happy camper. Neither is DarthVonDoom I'd imagine too.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I've always been a sucker for both kick-out holes and inline drop targets. Paragon, my favorite table, has both. Eight Ball Deluxe, another favorite, also has both. Hmm.

Drop targets and kick-out holes for me too. Also love a good spinner.
Probably why I love older pins. These design elements don't seem as popular on more modern machines. I also hate when they put in drop targets and just hide them on the side of the table almost like an afterthought to use dead space.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'd like to see a Galaga style multiball.

Activating 2 ball multiball would be a score monster and 3 ball multiball would be worth ludicrous points...but if you lock a ball, your next ball would be ball 2 and if you lock a second ball the third ball would be ball 3.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts