Colour DMD examples

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I've played AFM with a color DMD and it was great. I was surprised how much it added to the experience. If I owned a machine that it was available for, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. They are pricy though.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I played all those except STTNG with color because it just came out, but yeah it adds so much to the game after hours of watching MM animations then seeing them in color it was like seeing them for the first time. Id pay for that option over pro mode any day.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Anyone know the tech behind how these work? The table ROMs aren't modded are they?
The ColorDMD unit has a processor inside it that receives the original display commands from the table ROM and "translates" it into a color image. The table ROM itself is completely unaware that the DMD is not the original one.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Theyre programed dot by dot thats why they take so long to make new ones although they have talked about offering them as multi color DMD so you can choose wich monochrome color you want but they need programming or something.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
considering how expensive the tables they've made these for, and how much other mods can run, if I had one of these tables I'd totally pony up for the Color DMD. Very cool.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I'd absolutely love to see one of these for Cirqus Voltaire.
Then I would love to find a nice, clean CV for less than 8k.

stevevt

Mar 31, 2012
Unfortunately, there's no room for the laptop LCD panel that ColorDMD uses in a CV, so you can pretty much assume it'll never happen. I agree it would be a great candidate for it otherwise.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Unfortunately, there's no room for the laptop LCD panel that ColorDMD uses in a CV, so you can pretty much assume it'll never happen. I agree it would be a great candidate for it otherwise.

Well that's a bummer... one dream dashed.
CURSE YOU STEVET! CUUUURRRSSSSEEEEE YYYYOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Doesn't mean they can't do it - just that they won't be able to use a "standard" laptop LCD screen. LCDs come in all shapes and sizes and I'm sure they can find one the appropriate size that would fit in a CV. It just might cost a bit more as they're more of a specialty item. Or perhaps they'll be forced to actually create an array of RGB LEDs and use that directly.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
They just announced that White Water will be the next pin to get the color DMD treatment.
They will be showing it at the Texas pinball show..

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts