Modular Pinball at SXSW

N

netizen

When we spoke to Gary Stern way back in January at CES, the pinball exec let it be known that his was the only company currently producing pinball machines -- and while that may be accurate so far as actual shipping systems go, there are a handful of startups looking to get into the game. One of the more compelling examples we've seen is the offering from Multimorphic, an Austin-based company showcasing a prototype at SXSW Interactive's Game Expo.

The P3 is interesting for a number of reasons. First, and arguably most importantly, is the modular nature of the machine. If you take a look at the (still-unfinished) sides of the cabinet, you can see a big slit down the center, where the top can be lifted off and replaced -- since the machine is targeted toward home users, there's no concern about vandalism there. The idea is to essentially offer a platform to both developers and at-home hackers to create their own games atop what is essentially a clean slate.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/08/multimorphic/

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Yeah. It is an interesting idea. I really haven't been impressed with the actual gameplay/table design they've shown so far though. Especially the plastic hamster-tube look it has.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
The plastic tubes will be ditched for chrome rails because shaping the lexan tubes is too pricey or thats what they said at the seminar I went to.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I really think they need to find a way to work pop bumpers into the design. Table looks naked without them.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Looks like a reincarnation of the whole Pinball 2000 thing, IMHO. Except the lower playfield is the one with screen instead of the upper playfield.

It's interesting, I suppose, but the screen really does interfere somewhat with the stuff you can put in the lower playfield (see the rods for the solenoids and the slingshots, which have to be clear to let the screen show through). And the clear-ness of it all, I'm not so sure. Might make it hard to see the ball - I know I had difficulty tracking it when it rolled over the screen (because it's backlit, it's like someone shining a light from the bottom - your irises close up and makes it harder to spot that dim ball). Which of course isn't a good idea in the area if you're not of expert tournament level and can predict where the ball goes blindfolded.

Auto-play is cool, though.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts