Louisville Arcade Expo

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Went to the Louisville Arcade Expo over the weekend. While it apparently wasn't as good as the Cincinnati show (based on the pictures and descriptions George provided), it shouldn't surprise anyone, since Louisville isn't as good of a city as Cincinnati (in terms of population and economic might). Some of the highlights, including TPA tables:

AC/DC - Excellent shape; an awesome pro with many LE enhancements, such as a shaker, better speakers, and enhanced lighting. Finally, some extensive hands-on time with this thing, and it is still one of my all time favorites, even with the cheap bell and bumper feed deaths.
TZ - Excellent resoration; an enhanced version with a ton of aftermarket toys, LEDs, chrome rails, and a loop on the left ramp return ramp. Also fun, but that kicker on the slot machine was a pain - I'd drain at least once every other game due to that alone. Fortunately, the line went quick, except when I played, which kind of pissed people off. This is harder than the TPA version almost entirely due to how much harder it is to make the shots, especially the lock and gumball shots, the latter of which cannot be hit from a trap. The powerball is faster and more sensitive than on as well.
MB - Good condition, though some of the lights failed, such as the CFTBL light, and the monster heads, which showed who you've collected (the instruments still worked), but played well. Surprisingly, this played almost exactly like the TPA version, and my scores were a dead match (actually slightly higher, probably due to the lack of bugs).
CV - Two of them, both in great shape. Without bugs, this is a really awesome table!
TOTAN - Another TPA machine in great shape.
FP - Average condition, played almost identically to the TPA version, except you can't lock balls during multiball.
Teed Off - Was pretty worn, had the sound off, and the animated gopher didn't work, but it played fine.
WH20 - Pretty worn, and some leveling issues, but a pretty fun table.
TF - Great shape, Autobot edition.
Spider-Man - Another great table in great condition, though the sound was really low.
DD - Pretty good shape, but the sound was off, and no one was playing it.
TAF - Two of them, one with a color LCD.
WW - Nice shape, fun game, fan effect is awesome!
T2 - Frequently broke down, so I only got to play it one, but it was fun.
NGG - Was broken (Bud figure got stuck, making it impossible to lock balls, but registered hits when struck, so you could get a real low shot total). It took two days for anyone to notice.
RBION - Only on the floor a short time before someone bought it and hauled it away. Also plays a lot like TPA, the main different being a much more difficult to hit vari-target.
WOZ - Obviously excellent machine with a nice playfield, but I couldn't figure out what the rules were. Roger Sharpe said that is because the software, including the rule set, is still not finished.

I played very few videogames, only indulging in games of Outrun, Gorf, Space Zap, Tempest, and Crazy Climber when the pinball lines were too long.

Roger Sharpe - Awesome to have a designer (albeit a crappy one) come to the convention. Only got to play Barracora, as the rest broke down (the ultra rare Global Warfare was never working at any time). The questions the moderators asked were incredibly stupid, such as "tell us about your days on this magazine" or "what's pinball like around the world?" The audience asked much better questions, and I liked how he ripped on Python and Barry for their crappy Popeye table (which was also at the show), and pointed out the problems with a lot of otherwise good tables, like the bell / feed on AC/DC, or the "funky" (his words) center target on TF. He also has played every single pinball game released since 1965, and owns 25 machines himself.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
What no pics? Thanks for the right up.
I was going to take pics, but then I figured that ipdb has much better pics of each machine than I could ever take. I'm also not 100% sure how to use the camera on my phone.

This expo is further evidence of what I've been saying since the beginning - newer (1985 or later) tables > older (pre-1985) tables. All the newer tables were being played, many having lines, while the early SS and EM tables more often than not sitting there, unplayed.

I also discovered a new pet peeve - single players who start a four player game and play through all the turns so that they can stay on the machine. That pisses me off, and when I try to do it myself, I get confused over what I did on which game. It's especially infuriating when they do that when there's a line.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
There is pinball etiquette and thats a NO NO. My pet peeve are little kids that do that only to walk away after ball 2 of third player. Last year at PPE everybody was on the newer stuff almost nobody on woodrails and a few on the wedgeheads then they announced over the PA WIZARD OF OZ is in the building and within seconds as the machine was rolling to its place a herd of like 60 people were in its wake and the line grew! vacating all the tables I wanted to play :)

karl

May 10, 2012
Sounds like a good show. Richard, did you get a chance to speak with Mr. Sharpe and ask him about TPA?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Sounds like a good show. Richard, did you get a chance to speak with Mr. Sharpe and ask him about TPA?
I didn't, but someone else asked about TPA, and all he would say was that he was "lightly involved with it." The whole room laughed, so I assume he was being sarcastic. He does, however, have a prominent position at WMS, and personally knows (or has known) all the major players, from the designers to Harry Williams himself. Someone else asked about the possibility of another company recreating some of their popular (and rare) tables like MM, AFM, and CC, (just like the BBB reproductions), and Roger said that, while there are no official plans as of yet, WMS was willing to work with interested parties, and it is a strong possibility that it might happen at some point in the future. Also, unlike Mr. Lawlor, Sharpe is optimistic about the future success of pinball.

karl

May 10, 2012
Thanks Richard. Some great info.
Skill_shot: you do know that Roger was the one who got Farsight the deal with Williams and he also got them the deal with CBS for TNG and TZ. He is also the one who suggested that Josh Sharpe might say yes to work with them on the accuracy on the tables. He is involved alright ;-)

Last edited:

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
Anyone going to this in March? I'll be there on the 8th. The tentative table list for this year is...

AC/DC (Stern)
Ali (Stern)
Black Hole (Gottlieb)
Black Knight (Williams)
Bobby Orr Power Play (Bally)
Captain Fantastic (Bally)
Chicago Cubs Triple Play (Premier)
Congo (Williams)
Creature From the Black Lagoon (Midway)
Defender (Williams)
Doctor Who (Midway)
Dracula (Stern)
Duck Hunt (Skit-B) - Pinball machine based on the classic console game
Eight Ball (Bally)
Eight Ball Deluxe (Bally)
F-14 (Williams)
Firepower (Williams)
Flight 2000 (Stern)
Flintstones (Williams)
The Getaway: High Speed II (Williams)
Global Warfare (Game Plan) - Roger Sharpe designed game. Only 10 made.
Gorgar (Williams)
Hollywood Heat (Premier)
Hot Tip (Williams)
Judge Dredd (Midway)
Jurassic Park (Data East)
Metallica (Stern)
Mr. and Mrs. Pac-Man Pinball (Bally)
Popeye Saves the Earth (Midway)
Predator (Skit-B) - New Game about to be released. Awesome
Roller Disco (Gottlieb)
Slugfest (Williams)
Sonic (Skit-B) - Pinball game based on Sonic the Hedgehog (Only 1)
Space Invaders (Bally)
Space Shuttle (Williams)
Space Time (Bally)
Star Wars Episode 1 (Williams)
Super Nova (Game Plan)
Super Straight (Segasa)
Tee'd Off (Premeir / Gottlieb)
Torpedo Alley (Data East)
Warlok (Williams)
Who Dunnit (Midway)
Wizard of Oz (Jersey Jack)

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I'm going to be there. Bought my weekend pass back in late November. Went last year, open to close all three days, 30 hours of pinball. Awesome, even though it paled to the legendary 2012 exhibition, which I did not attend because I did not hear about it until 6 weeks after it was over. It's still awesome that a dinky town like Louisville can have an expo like this.

RagingBull888

Sep 11, 2013
I'm going on Saturday. Looking forward to playing more than just pinball though. Burgertime!

In addition, John Trudeau is going to be a guest speaker this year.

The list has been updated and includes such titles as :Joust, Terminator 2, Varkon, and World Cup Soccer 94. I would imagine a few tables will be there that did not have enough time to make the list.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Attended all three days. Awesome event this year, and virtually no a**holin' (a single person starting a four player game with four players so they can sit at the machine longer). Here's some highlights (wish I could take pictures, but my phone was acting up, as usual):
NGG, Metallica, MM, Space Shuttle, ACDC (X 3: 2 Pro, 1 LE) TF, TL, JY, STTNG, TO, BH, CFTBL, TSPP, WD, WW, Dirty Harry, Demolition Man, JP (X 2), JD, WOZ, Global Warfare (an early SS notable due to its low production run of 10 tables), and countless "crappy" EMs and Early Solid State. Also of interest on the console side was a playable Fix It Felix Junior running off a Saturn. If you don't know what Fix-It Felix Jr. is, see Wreck-It Ralph. It's awesome regardless, but especially so if you're a fan of old video games).

RagingBull888

Sep 11, 2013
I had a special a**hole in front of me on the MM start a four player game and then walk away on the 4th player of his 2nd ball. I felt bad for the people behind me as I had to cycle through all the balls just to start my own single player game. They were at least rewarded with a little bit of a show as I had 2 castle multiballs along with a multiball madness just a peasant madness away from 4 ball in addition to an extra ball for 2 castles destroyed. Even though I saw someone earlier play it even better, I was still complimented at the end of my game. Also had a guy playing a multiplayer game of Revenge from Mars twice while my wife and I were waiting.

The NGG was disappointing because Bud was stuck meaning I could never shoot the ball up the middle ramp nor start multiball. I note that above you said the same thing happened last year.

I have more to add but had a ton of fun and not just with the pinball and am already looking forward to next year. One of the biggest downsides was that the volume seemed to be turned down on a lot of the machines so part of the fun was diminished since you could not hear the awesome audio.

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
Only attended on Saturday, but here's my playlist...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (Williams, 1993)
Eight Ball Deluxe (Bally, 1981)
Barracora (Williams, 1981)
Nip It (Bally, 1973)
Black Hole (Gottlieb, 1981)
Adams Family (Midway, 1992)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (Williams, 1993)
Gorgar (Williams, 1979)
Dealer's Choice (Williams, 1974)
AC/DC Premium (Stern, 2012)
Creature From the Black Lagoon (Midway, 1992)
Back to the Future (Data East, 1990)
Special Force (Midway, 1986)
Strikes and Spares (Bally, 1977)
Dirty Harry (Williams, 1995)
Captain Fantastic (Bally, 1976)
Rollergames (Williams, 1990)
Silverball Mania (Bally, 1980)
Speak Easy (Bally, 1982)
Paragon (Bally, 1978)
Varkon (Williams, 1982)
Dracula (Stern, 1979)

Last edited:

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
Was next in line to play Baywatch but then it got shut down.

Almost played Joust as well, but we couldn't figure out how to get it started. I assume whoever came along next restarted the machine and got it working just fine. Looked awesome, though!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.