Upside down tables on Kindle Fire

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
I am currently in version 1.11.0. Subsequent to one of the version changes in recent weeks, I am now having an issue with the tables displaying upside down in 2 of the 4 orientations of the Kindle Fire.

In the landscape mode, in the past I would use my Fire HD with the micro USB power connector and the micro-HD on the top. This would allow me to have the Fire held straight up on top of a desk with the cords (for power, and to monitor/TV) going up and not interfering. However, recently I stopped being able to do this. Here are the symptoms:
1) When I am on that screen that shows any of the tables with "Game Setup"/"Exit Table"/"Table Menu"/"Leaderboard"/"Start" icons, the table is oriented correctly.
2) However, as soon as I click on "Start" in order to start to play, the table flips and it's upside down.

In an experiment, I see that the same thing happens when I go in portrait mode with the micro USB connector and the micro-HD on the left (when facing the screen).

Neither of these happen when I try the other landscape mode with connectors on bottom (but that's a problem because of the cords going down ). It also doesn't happen with the portrait mode with the connectors on the right.

Like I said, this is relatively new issue for me. Is it happening to others as well? Please let me know if you are experiencing what appears to me to be a bug. Thanks.
-----

Updating my post. Turns out that this is probably not new for me. I just saw that when I use the micro-hd cable in the top of the Kindle Fire, the table DOES display correctly when being played. (Which I think is how I had always happened to have used it with the connectors on top in the past.) So in reality, it will only be an issue for me when I am using the micro USB cable on top (for power purposes when my battery is low) at a desk at those few times when at the same time I am not using the micro-hd cable (with a monitor or TV). Interesting that using the micro-hd cable fixes the orientation.

Last edited:
N

netizen

I have similar issues with my Galaxy Tab 2.

When I have auto rotation enabled TPA will only display in a fixed orientation, regardless of how the menu display orientates. Yet, when I have the auto rotate disabled TPA will display the way I have my home screen locked, even tho the menu will turn and orientate to any position I turn my tablet.

However, on my Nexus 10 it doesn't matter if I have auto-rotation locked or not TPA will display in any perspective orientation I desire at any time.

It really seems to be a hardware thing, imo. Has your Kindle gotten a software update recently?

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
I modified my original post.... Turns out that this is probably not new for me. I just saw that when I use the micro-hd cable in the top of the Kindle Fire, the table DOES display correctly when being played. (Which I think is how I had always happened to have used it with the connectors on top in the past.) So in reality, it will only be an issue for me when I am using the micro USB cable on top (for power purposes when my battery is low) at a desk at those few times when at the same time I am not using the micro-hd cable (with a monitor or TV). Interesting that using the micro-hd cable fixes the orientation.

Last edited:

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Orientation helps my left flipper!

I discovered something great today. Even when the micro-hd cable is plugged in, the left flipper seems to respond better for me when the Fire is orientated with its connectors on the bottom. Which in actuality is the way Amazon intended it as that puts the camera on top. (There is a chance I have a hardware issue causing the flipper lag the other way, but I haven't seen it with other apps.) Perhaps there is a chance that this better responsiveness is because the TPA software has one step less to do to regarding orientation.

At any rate, from now on when I am in portrait mode with TPA, I am always going to use the Fire with the orientation that has the connectors on the bottom. I will simply let the cable connectors hang off the front of the desk, or alternatively use the Fire flat. Because of this discovery I can now do a catch with the left flipper!

Last edited:

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
My Kindle Fire HD now orients TPA tables correctly in all 4 orientations, even when I don't have the micro-hdmi cable connected.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.