Do you have to pay for the core game to play Twilight Zone?

Cerno

Mar 16, 2013
Hello all.

I just received my codes for Twilight Zone PS3.
Since I kind of missed the release of the game on PSN, I don't count myself among those who are angry that the codes came so late.

However, I cannot get the game to run.
I assumed that pledging on Kickstarter would give me the ability to play the game, but it appears that you only get the table which does not work without the core game.

Can anyone confirm this? I am not willing to shell out another $10 for the core game to get the table to run for which I already paid.
Maybe I did something wrong in redeeming the code, but from what I can see, the table does not work without the core game.

I tried installing the demo, hoping that I could play Twilight Zone from there, but no dice.
The table downloaded and installed without a problem, but I see nowhere from which I could run the game.

Quite disappointing,
Cerno

Cerno

Mar 16, 2013
Well, thanks for the prompt reply but I must say that I am less than happy with the answer.

When I backed the project, naturally I was assuming that I would be getting a playable version of the table.
As far as I can see it was nowhere mentioned that I would be backing for DLC.

In the end I was one of the many people who actually helped Twilight to fulfill one of their dreams and now they tell me: "Hey, as a reward for your trust and good will, we'll make you pay extra to get what was agreed upon". Not very nice.

So, where to go from here? Since I definitely won't be paying for the core game, I see three options that might put the trustworthiness of Twilight to the test:

1) Release a PSN patch to the Pinball Arcade game that lets you play DLC from the demo so that all the backers who don't have the core game will be able to get what they backed for (if it is technically possible of course).
2) Give the core game away together with the Twilight Zone table (probably too much to ask for since they will be giving something away for free for which a lot of people are willing to pay)
3) I would be happy to switch to the PC version if matters are different there. So if Twilight would be willing to give me the PC version despite my redeeming my PSN codes, that would be an acceptable solution.

Since I think 1) and 2) are probably unrealistic (although I believe 1 would be very fair to the backers if technically possible), I would go for 3) myself.

Does anyone know how to reach someone at Twilight able to make that decision? My previous e-mail went unanswered.

Still disappointed,
Cerno

Edit: Apparently there was a small section in the FAQ stating that the table will not be standalone but part of the Pinball Arcade. Still I think Farsight should have been more outspoken about this issue. Some "Warning, a copy of Pinball Arcade must be purchased separately" would definitely have helped. So to me my point is still valid.

Last edited:
N

netizen

you can try pm'ing Rob Mann, he is the Far Sight, not Twilight LOL, social media type person who interacts with us here on this board.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Do you own a tablet, iPad, iPod, iPhone, Android? You can maybe request to move your choice to one of those platforms and download the free version there to play it

Cerno

Mar 16, 2013
you can try pm'ing Rob Mann, he is the Far Sight, not Twilight LOL, social media type person who interacts with us here on this board.

Yeah I guess I had the dumb yesterday. Blame it on the hour. ;) Of course it's FarSight and Twilight Zone, hehe.
Anyway, thanks for the hint, I will contact him. Maybe we can strike a deal ;)

Do you own a tablet, iPad, iPod, iPhone, Android? You can maybe request to move your choice to one of those platforms and download the free version there to play it

So I am assuming the DLC problem also exists for the PC version? Well I would go for Android if all else fails. Thanks for the hint.

Caveat emptor!

I think it's not that easy.

A kickstarter campaign is more than a cold business transaction. Therefore it is crucial that the campaign starter is as transparent as possible. After all, the backers put their trust in the campaign starter that they deliver on their promise. I guess mentioning on the reward selection that the table requires an additional purchase would not have broken FarSight's back. I don't claim that they did it on purpose to increase the backer count, but it still seems like a major oversight. Unless I'm the only person who assumed the reward would be standalone, then I'd better shut up.

But you're basically right. Let the buyer beware and be more careful in the future.
Unfortunately this will negatively influence the outcome of other kickstarter projects. :/

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Well, if you didn't read the FAQ you can hardly blame FS?

Kickstarter Basics: Accountability
Kickstarter does not guarantee projects or investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. On Kickstarter, backers (you!) ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.

Cerno

Mar 16, 2013
Well, if you didn't read the FAQ you can hardly blame FS?

Kickstarter Basics: Accountability
Kickstarter does not guarantee projects or investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. On Kickstarter, backers (you!) ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.

Yeah, yeah, I know, due diligence and all that.
I guess I was caught up in the fuzzy feeling that kickstarter campaign starters go out of their way to create as much transparency as possible.

I agree that I should have read the FAQ (and will in the future) but I still think that information should have been placed more prominently, in a "batteries not included" kind of way.
But as I said, I may be the only person with that problem, so I'd better stop whining about it.

Anyway, I contacted Rob Mann, I'll just have to see if we can sort this out.

pinbot-76

Jul 11, 2012
It's just 10 spacebucks for the core pack and you get 4 fun tables. I think you'll be happy with what you get for such a small amount of extra money.

Cerno

Mar 16, 2013
It's just 10 spacebucks for the core pack and you get 4 fun tables. I think you'll be happy with what you get for such a small amount of extra money.

You may laugh at me after all this fuss, but the more I think about, the more I am inclined to do it. The demo was a lot of fun.
I guess after the initial rage (and a hard day at work today) I might actually get the core game. I'm such a pushover. ;)

Cerno

Mar 16, 2013
Just in case purchasing the core pack is a done deal: Welcome to the fold. :)

Cheers.

I'm trying to find out from Rob Mann whether I can play the table as standalone on PC or if it's DLC there as well.
That would be my favorite solution (better than playing it on my phone).

If that does not work I guess I'll stick to the PS3 version and get the core game.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
I suggest getting it on PS3 before the month is over - Sony has a promo going on where for every $50 you spend on the PSN store, you'll get a $10 voucher until April 1.

Now is the time to get TPA on PS3 if you haven't already, and get some other tables as well. You can use that $10 later to buy more tables.

Cerno

Mar 16, 2013
I suggest getting it on PS3 before the month is over - Sony has a promo going on where for every $50 you spend on the PSN store, you'll get a $10 voucher until April 1.

Now is the time to get TPA on PS3 if you haven't already, and get some other tables as well. You can use that $10 later to buy more tables.

Thanks but I don't think it will be available in Europe.

Cerno

Mar 16, 2013
I just wanted to mention that everything resolved nicely. I contacted Rob Mann and he offered me a perfect solution. I am a happy man now.

Apologies for my outburst at the beginning of this thread.

N

netizen

I just wanted to mention that everything resolved nicely. I contacted Rob Mann and he offered me a perfect solution. I am a happy man now.

Apologies for my outburst at the beginning of this thread.

Awesome. Another player that will convert more pin heads to the cause is what this community loves to hear. I can only assume that Farsight likes the money too, LOL. :D

I'm glad that you and Rob were able to come to a happy arrangement. The whole Farsight crew is very accommodating if you can be patient with them.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, the core pack is definitely worth the dough. You won't regret it.

Its definitely worth it at $10 but has there been any mention of a promotion on the consoles like was done on Android recently?

I think it would be great for Farsight's market penetration if they offered a similar sale on the PS3, or maybe even a PS+ free giveaway.

Members online

Members online