Help me make a short list for my next pin

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
As you all probably know I have played very little real pinball apart from my own Getaway. In the next few months I'll be buying my 2nd pin and there's quite a few I'm interested in. There's a few features I would like in my next pin, mostly things my Getaway doesn't have. I'm probably not going to achieve them all but here a list of features I'd like at least some of;

Drop targets
A spinner
Lane change at top of playfield and/or inlanes /outlanes
At least 3 ball multiball
Lots of energetic voice calls, I.e Extra ball, jackpot, super jackpot etc
Restart multiball ( not sure how many tables actually have this )
Deep rules, or at least deeper than The Getaway.

Price wise I have to be realistic, I would love a MB or MM but that isn't going to happen, I'm looking around the £1k.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Well, an AC/DC LE would give you all of that, but you're not getting it for a thousand pounds.

Not all of these have all of what you want, but they might be closer to your price range: Congo, Whodunnit?, Fish Tales, Flintstones, maybe Tales from the Crypt if you can stomach the idea of owning a Data East machine.

In short, I'd look at the tables from 1993 to 1996, paying special attention to the tables one tier below the heavyweights; they seem to have most of the features you want without the inflated prices.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
World Cup '94 is one of my favorites of all time. Plus I hear that Brits really enjoy football. Or as i call it, American Soccer. :p

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
The Shadow is packed with lots of cool stuff. But the theme and backglass kind of kill it for me. But maybe it's not a deal breaker for you.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
The Shadow is actually one of my front runners, I'm not sure which features it has from my list though. Does it have lane change? Spinner?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Well, an AC/DC LE would give you all of that, but you're not getting it for a thousand pounds.

Not all of these have all of what you want, but they might be closer to your price range: Congo, Whodunnit?, Fish Tales, Flintstones, maybe Tales from the Crypt if you can stomach the idea of owning a Data East machine.

In short, I'd look at the tables from 1993 to 1996, paying special attention to the tables one tier below the heavyweights; they seem to have most of the features you want without the inflated prices.

I actually have the chance of a whodunnit, someone not too far from me has one for sale. I've only played it once a few months ago, how deep are the rules? Does it have any of the features I mentioned?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I actually have the chance of a whodunnit, someone not too far from me has one for sale. I've only played it once a few months ago, how deep are the rules? Does it have any of the features I mentioned?
The ruleset for Whodunnit? has medium depth. There's a couple of multiballs, various rounds played from moving the elevator to different floors, and the attempt to catch the suspect on the roof (which is what passes for the game's "wizard mode"; most people say it doesn't have one). Side attractions include playing the slots and betting on roulette, and some various combo shots and so forth.

Out of the tables I mentioned, though, Whodunnit? is probably the least suitable in terms of matching the list of features you asked for. I mentioned it primarily for the multiballs and the voiceovers. I will also warn you the scoring is a bit unbalanced, particularly Penthouse Party, in which you can loop the elevator shot very quickly for 10M+10M, no limit...so it's quite possible to score 1B+ in 20 seconds, and 3B+ if you stack a multiball on it...and the betting for roulette can get a little silly as well. I once won 665M in one shot from roulette in a league game.

If it were me, I'd go for Fish Tales, which will give you the spinner, lane change, 3-ball MB and the voice work. Ruleset is not terribly deep beyond multiball, but it is pretty broad - you have things like Rock the Boat, Feeding Frenzy and Monster Fish to keep you entertained in between multiballs. Great music work, too, if you're into that.

Congo, Flintstones and TFTC will have the deeper rulesets. Tales from the Crypt may actually have all of what you asked for (I'm not sure on the drop targets), but it's a Data East machine.

stevevt

Mar 31, 2012
Star Trek TNG meets the requirements, but only one drop target, and it's not a traditional one.

Restart multiball requires an autoplunger, so you're looking at 1992 and newer, I think. Someone can of course correct me.

Newer (1992 and later) games with spinners are relatively rare, so I think you should just get a list of those and start from there.

stevevt

Mar 31, 2012
CFTBL is kind of unique, though, because the way its restart works. But point taken. Not sure how many more games are like that. If one has a spinner, drop targets, and all the other stuff the OP wants, that'd be awesome.

If Johnny Mnemonic has drops (doesn't, does it?), it'd be my recommendation. Oh, hey, does Judge Dredd have a spinner?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts