About to pull the trigger on a Meteor - first pin

whirlspell

Feb 22, 2013
Hey everyone,
My pinball addiction has been expanding exponentially. What started with a night in an arcade on a Bride of Pinbot machine turned into a TPA addiction, which led me to the Texas Pinball Fest, and now I'm about to pull the trigger on my first table - a Meteor from STERN, 1979. It's in amazing shape, frankly. 100% fully functional and missing no pieces, as far as I can tell. Asking price is just $800, which is much lower than comparable eBay listing. I'm going to offer $700 to kick things off... any input from you all would be appreciated. I've heard that a STERN is not a good first pin.

whirlspell

Feb 22, 2013
ebay listings are always too high. Is that a machine that will keep you interested?

I believe so. The main driver is the price point - it's something I can get into now. I'm very much a 90's pin kind of guy, and I'd love to get a newer table, but I wouldn't be able to get something $2k+ for a while. I played this table quite a bit at TPF and enjoyed it a lot. It has very fast play for its era, though it's ALL about the drop targets.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
My buddy's sister owns a Meteor. It's a fun pin. Stern pins from this era are very underrated in my opinion.

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
I played that table at the TPF, thought it played great, and got a few nice pics of it! I don't think you can go wrong with it for under a grand! Good luck with it!

TPF%20561.jpg

TPF%20562.jpg

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Asking price is just $800, which is much lower than comparable eBay listing. I'm going to offer $700 to kick things off... any input from you all would be appreciated. I've heard that a STERN is not a good first pin.
Pinside pegs the value at $370 - $430, which is derived from an average of the actual selling prices (not listing prices) on Ebay. However, most listed prices, inside or outside of Ebay, are higher. As for Sterns not being a good first pin, there talking about the modern company which, though it does have the same DNA, is a different company than it was when they made this machine.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I like the artwork on the backglass in the above photos. If you enjoy the table, and it's in good shape, I'd go for it.
This is true - the value of a pinball machine is how much enjoyment you get out of it. It's not like shopping for a TV, where if you don't like the price at Best Buy, you can go down the street to Wal-Mart. If you don't like the price, it may be a long time before you find another person with one to sell.

BTW Either this game is really low scoring, or whoever is playing it really sucks. He's on ball 60, yet only has 71,440 points.

night

May 18, 2012
Love the backglass! Is this a nice table to have in TPA? I like 80ties style tables, ok, 1979 this one.. Somehow they have this fast action, like Black Hole and Firepower. Great to play when you have had a huge fight with your cat and need to release your agression. I think we all can relate to that.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
Love the backglass! Is this a nice table to have in TPA? I like 80ties style tables, ok, 1979 this one.. Somehow they have this fast action, like Black Hole and Firepower. Great to play when you have had a huge fight with your cat and need to release your agression. I think we all can relate to that.
I hate my cats. Nothing really to add except that.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts