An apology to Farsight and this board (flipper lag)

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I have reiterated several times over the last few months that flipper lag is still an issue with the PS3 version of TPA when playing in 720p. I've been adamant that it's still an issue for me playing in 720p.

So, yeah, about that.......

Seems that, unlike what I thought and could've sworn I've checked, I've been playing in 1080i not 720p. Last night I switched to 720p and, sure enough, the flipper lag went away. I jumped into a game of ST:TNG and promptly tripled my high score on my first attempt (from a little over a billion to 3.1 billion)*.

So, yeah, I was wrong about the lag, at least on my setup, in 720p. Feeling like a bit of a moron for not noticing this sooner but feeling like a moron is nothing new for me :)

That said, it definitely exists in 1080i.

Tabe

* - Of course, for the first time on ANY table, I got the dreaded "stuck multiball camera" bug which undoubtedly cost me a LOT of points. !!@#!@#%@$!#!#@@%.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I'm glad you figured that out! : D

(For the stuck multiball camera, try turning the "Multiball Camera" option back to "ON." I've been going for multiballs all week and haven't been able to get the camera stuck since switching to that setting.)

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I'm glad you figured that out! : D

(For the stuck multiball camera, try turning the "Multiball Camera" option back to "ON." I've been going for multiballs all week and haven't been able to get the camera stuck since switching to that setting.)
OK, will give that a shot.

Dont Troll Me

Apr 29, 2012
i was going back and forth from 1080p and 720p but now im just gonna keep it at 720p it does help a lot its more of a difference on tables like AFM, SS, and MM.

ill have to check my multi ball cam stng was stuck on plunger cam more then a few times on multi ball :/

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
I played some (real-life-table) Monster Bash again this evening.
The "D" rollover was only marginally responsive, and the crypt sometimes had vicious kickouts, straight between the flippers, but you know what.... I had a blast playing it. Sometimes If anything gives you odds to beat, but as long as you are granted the slim opportunity to beat them, it feels ever so good when you do beat them.

And you even get a fan-forum to bee-yoch on about those times you didn't. Does it get any better? ;)

Pinball's a game that you gotta take with flaws included... real or digital.
Let that never be reason to slack off for Farsight, but please let that never spoil your fun also... ya carmudgeon.

Last edited:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, 720p definitely makes a huge difference for many people including myself. In 1080p there's very noticeable lag but in 720p there's just the slightest hint of it on my setup. Its only really noticeable after playing a different pinball game like PHoF.

However I have my fingers crossed about the recent statement that FS has found the source of the extra lag (beyond the 1 frame for processing lighting) and have a fix for it in progress. Playing in 1080p without the lag would be quite a treat since the game looks so much better that way.

* - Of course, for the first time on ANY table, I got the dreaded "stuck multiball camera" bug which undoubtedly cost me a LOT of points. !!@#!@#%@$!#!#@@%.

This is interesting because it seems like there is a pattern of more people reporting this bug when playing in 720p than people playing in 1080p.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
The backglass icons look clearer in 720p the ball moves faster or the flippers are stronger, on TOTAN 1080p the ball has trouble completing the spiral loop but 720p it has no problem.

ROTTEN

Jun 27, 2012
720p definitely helps, but it doesn't fix the problem 100%. It seems to affect certain tables more than others. Try STTNG and then switch to TOTAN. You can feel a huge difference.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
720p definitely helps, but it doesn't fix the problem 100%. It seems to affect certain tables more than others. Try STTNG and then switch to TOTAN. You can feel a huge difference.

That's a good point, it definitely varies some by table. I think TotAN is one of the most affected tables iirc.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've always played in 1080p and haven't noticed any lag. Last night I switched to 720p for the first time and couldn't tell a difference. I guess I'm just lucky in this regard.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
I know the lag is real because I actually play much better overall on the Vita. Despite the legitimate graphics complaints for Vita, I have a much easier time mastering shot timing than I do on the PS3. I switched my PS3 to 720p the other day and yes, that does seem to make a difference, but I was still having a frustrating time getting the timing down for many of the shots on AFM.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Hi everyone,

I've downloaded the demo version of Pinball Arcade (1.07) on PS3... and, coming from Williams Pinball Classics PS3, Pinball Arcade is unplayable in 1080i (and I read it was worse at the launch! o_O), because of the lag input. It lags even in the menu (almost 1/2 second). In 720p, there's no lag anymore, but the graphics are not as good as they are in 1080 resolution.

This (big) problem prevents me to get the full version of the game. :( (and the fact that I've already own half of the tables, in Gottlieb Pinball and WPC... but, hey, Monster Bash, my dream comes true! :D)

Moreover, I noticed there's no sound settings in options. In Pinball Arcade, the sound mix is strange (too low, especially sound effects). In WPC, you can set sound FX volume and music volume. With good heavy settings, it's like you have the table in your room, !^^
But in Pinball Arcade, the sound seems too smothered.
Is this the case too in the full version?

Otherwise, compared to previous pinball games of Farsight, especially on complex tables, the graphic improvements are outstanding (maybe a little bit too dark), the ball physic is far better, near perfection (too light in WPC)... but the lag ruins everything.

I will regularly check this forum to see if the lag problem will be fixed. I hope so.

Cheers,

Tann

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I have a very slight lag at 1080p and I recently switched to 720p to compare. I have noticed no difference in lag or picture quality. I haven't changed my receiver yet. My receiver is taking the 720p picture and upconverting it to 1080p. Since the game is 720p native I guess it makes little difference in quality if my PS3 or my receiver is making the conversion. Next I will have to try removing all of my receivers processing as well. I think I'm down to just 1 or 2 frames of lag. It is most notable when trying for outer loop shots or the catapult in MM.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
I run in 720p with the PS3 hooked straight to the tv and tv in game mode. Lag is basically non-existent for me, but I can not run it through the receiver as it adds delay to the picture in its internal hdmi in/out.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I run in 720p with the PS3 hooked straight to the tv and tv in game mode. Lag is basically non-existent for me, but I can not run it through the receiver as it adds delay to the picture in its internal hdmi in/out.

Running through the receiver is not technically what is adding the lag. The signal is running at the speed of light and there probably isn't much more than the length of the cable adding to the distance. What's adding the lag is the processing that the receiver is doing. Many receivers, like TVs, now include a gaming mode. If you don't have a gaming mode you can try turning off all processing manually. This would include upconversion to 1080p also if it is doing that.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Running through the receiver is not technically what is adding the lag. The signal is running at the speed of light and there probably isn't much more than the length of the cable adding to the distance. What's adding the lag is the processing that the receiver is doing. Many receivers, like TVs, now include a gaming mode. If you don't have a gaming mode you can try turning off all processing manually. This would include upconversion to 1080p also if it is doing that.

Hehe, I simplified the explanation there ;) I haven't dived into all the settings on the receiver, but it does not have a gaming mode. Will check it out, but it is not really a big issue. I solved it by hooking straight to the tv and running audio through toslink insteadn ;) (I am not using the PS3 as a Blu-ray player anymore)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts