Some old school Roller Derby for Shut your Trap

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Here's a bit of the old school Roller Derby I was talking about in Chat last night.

These are pro's, my mother played in the amateur leagues back in the 40's. Quite a different game than "Roller Games", for sure! They are wearing the helmets I was talking about... The track is an oval track and the speed is fast. probably still rigged games though, LOL!

Anyway enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bRXLfGcUeE

Timelord ...

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I remember the one on TV that was a figure 8 with high banks and a jump that crossed the track. Guys and girls teams.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Yeah, that was "Roller Games" the inspiration for the Pinball Machine of the same name.

SYT told us a cool story about meeting one of the team members in the chat room last night.

I'll leave it to him to relate that story as it's his to tell.

Timelord ...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
And so I will!

I was on the set of a new TV pilot the other day, got to talking to one of the crew members, Mike Flaningam. He's an older guy, and they always are filled with stories, so a lot of fun to chat up. Him talking about being a former stunt man was what got me listening. Anyways, I wind up sitting across from him at dinner, and he's talking about how he used to have this 3 foot mane of hair, used to be super athletic running X-Country and playing football. Says he was gonna join the military after high school, but his dad having been a former Viet Nam vet forbid him from joining. Well he had no other plans, so what to do?

As luck would have it, somebody approached him asking if he was a football player and would he consider joining a roller derby team. Since he had nothing else going on, he signed up and found himself on the T-Birds. This would be the early 80's I believe. Anyway, Mike goes on to tell how he owns 2 banked tracks that he rents out to this very day, and I was mentioning that I had recently operated camera for a roller derby championship (which was too much fun). Suddenly, I got to wondering...

"Hey Mike, you wouldn't have happened to be involved with something called Rollergames would you?"

He gets a big ol' smile and says he was a big part of it. He was on the team The Rockers, and his name was California Kid. I smile and mention how I love the pinball game. He goes on to say he used to get royalty checks from that all the time, because he gets payed for the use of his name and appearances.

So last night in chat, Timelord throws up a video of Rollergames http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP6xT_ThxdI and there at the 3:41 mark is Mike! Too funny how small the world is sometimes.

I told Mike about TPA and that there was a small chance he might one day be seeing another royalty check from the pinball table. I certainly hope so at least...love that table. Rock, rock, rock, Rollergames

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
They still have roller derby around here. A friend of my wife is a member of an all female roller derby team in Lancaster PA.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts