Kindle Fire HD 8.9 vs IPAD 4 advice on purchase

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Hi! Lately I have had an urge to buy a Kindle Fire HD 8.9. Does anyone have any experience on how TPA performs on the HD 8.9 compared to IPad 4?

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Id say mobile wise from experience hearsay and soild opinion if tpa is your goal on mobile ios is where its at, anyone coreect me if im wrong

Androids nature prevents certain features ios has atm

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Well, the ipad has superior retina screen and a faster graphics processor, but it also costs almost twice as much as the kindle. IMO, go for the ipad of you can swing it.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
My mom recently got an Ipad 4 and TPA plays great on that compared to Ipad 2 (ofc. I had to install it to test ;) ) The only negative is the pricing, as it is really expensive compared to the Kindle Fire HD 8,9. But since my main thing will be to play TPA it might be better to go with the Ipad. Another part of my brain tells me I am insane for even considering purchasing any type of pad for the main purpose of TPA hehehe.

More input would be appreciated ;)

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Uh.... Be really nice to your mom and maybe she'll let you borrow her ipad. :D

If you wait a few months, there will be an ipad5, then the ipad 4 will get discounted.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
If you wait a few months, there will be an ipad5, then the ipad 4 will get discounted.

Possibly. It will be interesting to see which iPad Apple holds onto as their "bargain" one. Keep the iPad 2, ressurect the iPad 3 or move the iPad 4 to the $400.00 tier. I have a feeling Apple is just going to hold onto the iPad 2 for another year till the mini gets its retina upgrade probably in the fall. Personally, I think $400.00 for an iPad 2 is a joke when you can drop another hundred for a vastly superior one. Though, I have the mini which is basically an iPad 2 on the inside, I prefer the lighter weight and wouldn't trade up until there's a retina version. Note that I have played TPA on my brother's iPad 3 and it does look and play better than my mini so I will not dispute the importance of the retina screen and extra horsepower.

As far as the Kindle Fire goes my step mother has the smaller version of the HD and it's a fine pad for the price but I just didn't find the interface and performance as smooth and intuitive as ios. But then again, I've got Apple stickers on my car so I guess I could be a little bias. ;)

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Yea at this point, if you're going to shell out for an iPad, might as well wait for the ipad 5, which will be a major redesign and have new graphic chips ect...

My iPad 3 is working great, I'll probably keep it for at least another year.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, I'd suggest holding out until the next one is released. I always like buying hardware when it's first introduced, that way you don't get burned by a new model coming out a month later.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
My neighbor has a Kindle Fire HD and loves it. He's not a pinball guy, so I have never seen TPA on it. How does TPA look and play on the Kindle?

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
I think I would be leaning towards Ipad even tho I am not so impressed with apple :p
Will probably wait for the mini with retina if I buy an Apple, buuut I am stillcurious about the Fire :)

ravager

Jul 20, 2012
My neighbor has a Kindle Fire HD and loves it. He's not a pinball guy, so I have never seen TPA on it. How does TPA look and play on the Kindle?

It plays very well on the KF HD 7. And when holding the game in landscape the sound is pretty special. Having said that, it plays even better on the Nexus 7. : )

ravager

Jul 20, 2012
Hi! Lately I have had an urge to buy a Kindle Fire HD 8.9. Does anyone have any experience on how TPA performs on the HD 8.9 compared to IPad 4?

OP, either one will seve you well. The Fire has a great HD screen and superior audio, but the iPad 3 is my device of choice when it comes to playing TPA on the go. I love Android, but iOS is just more stable.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
OP, either one will seve you well. The Fire has a great HD screen and superior audio, but the iPad 3 is my device of choice when it comes to playing TPA on the go. I love Android, but iOS is just more stable.

Thanks for your input :) I think I will bide my time until after the summer, when I have spent all money on travel and stuff :p

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Well, the ipad has superior retina screen and a faster graphics processor, but it also costs almost twice as much as the kindle. IMO, go for the ipad of you can swing it.

The screen resolution between the Kindle Fire HD and iPad 3 appear to be nearly identical.
At least on paper (or screen). And the small difference is probably due to the screen size.

Kindle Fire HD: 8.9" screen: 1920x1200, 254 pixels per inch (ppi)

iPad 3: 9.7" screen: 2048x1536, 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

The prices however are quite different....
Kindle Fire HD: $269.00
iPad 3: $482.00

I'm looking to buy a tablet and would rather not spend twice as much for similar quality. I was originally looking at getting an Android tab until I found out how to side load apps,
so now I don't have to miss out on Android apps that don;t show up on the Kindle Store.

I'd definitely like to hear your thoughts on which is best for gaming... Kindle Fire HD, iPad 3, or other.

Blueshirt

Nov 17, 2012
It depends on what else you're looking to use said tablet for. Kindle Hire HD, as a tablet, is lacking. As a multimedia device, it is fantastic. I use mine mostly for reading and occasionally video and I love it for that, but it lacks a lot of versatility a full tablet has to offer (unless you get into modifying it...), so if you're more looking for a "full" tablet and not just a media device, I might look towards something besides kindle.

However if you're a rabid book and comic reader, like me, you won't be disappointed with the kindle fire in that regard. And the game itself performs well on kindle fire -- occasional framerate hiccups (especially during lost in the zone, for example), but nothing severe.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
It depends on what else you're looking to use said tablet for. Kindle Hire HD, as a tablet, is lacking. As a multimedia device, it is fantastic. I use mine mostly for reading and occasionally video and I love it for that, but it lacks a lot of versatility a full tablet has to offer (unless you get into modifying it...), so if you're more looking for a "full" tablet and not just a media device, I might look towards something besides kindle.

However if you're a rabid book and comic reader, like me, you won't be disappointed with the kindle fire in that regard. And the game itself performs well on kindle fire -- occasional framerate hiccups (especially during lost in the zone, for example), but nothing severe.

Thanks for the reply. Can you be a little more specific about what types of experiences you would be missing on a Kindle Fire HD over another tablet?

I borrowed my girlfriend's Fire HD and think I'd be happy with it.

I'd really like to know how the iPad version of TPA compares to the Fire HD version.
I thought it looked pretty little low res when compared to Zen Pinball or other apps. You could also see the carpet through parts of the table which is a little off-putting.

I also found an app that allows easy installing of Android apps to the Kindle Fire HD without rooting. This allowed me to install and play Simpsons Tapped Out (great game) as well as some Google stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts