Kickstarter for Pinball Circus or similar rarity instead of T2?

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
I really want to see T2 in TPA one day (first machine I remember playing) but haven't heard anyone demand a kickstarter to see it happen.

Now because TPA isn't going to be around forever and is putting historically significant tables out each month for future preservation, surely there would be more interest in seeing something truely unique and out of touch to play for 99.99% of people such as Pinball Circus. http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=4354

I was lucky enough to play this game a couple of times at The Pinball Hall of fame in vegas, not only was it like nothing else Ive played before, it was also really fun and I think would be a great candidate for preserving for future generations.

Because only 2 were made I do think the pinball community would be much more interested in a kickstarter for this then T2, and don't want Farsights next Kickstarter to come up short. I also imagine most backers are from the community rather then the general public, and I'm not sure how desperate they are to see T2 make it to the TPA.

From a creative standpoint it would be interesting to see how they'd overcome the logistics of working with PHOF to make this happen and not having a machine on site.

Are there any other tables for historical purposes which would be better to preserve then T2 if Pinball Circus is completely out the question? Other then The Adams Family what else would be considered the Holy Grail?

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
The Pinball Circus may not require a Kickstarter, but because there were only 2 made, it's technically almost impossible to recreate. It's a nice table to see, though :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
A couple of fun facts for you all...

If FarSight were to do this table, it would have to be entirely done like they did for the PHOF games, going after hours to the PHOF and snapping a bazillion photos. But that's not the biggest issue, getting the Roms would be. Which kinda leads into...

Pinball Circus is NOT on the list of games currently held by FarSight. That isn't to say it couldn't be in the future, but that list was agreed upon by FarSight and Roger Sharpe, who deals with all WMS properties. As was pointed out to me by anonymous persons, Pinball Circus never made it out of 'beta' for production, so why would WMS want to see it spread publicly across a kajillion platforms in TPA? They viewed it as not ready for primetime, and while it is a cool novelty and extremely rare, that doesn't mean they want it out there.

I'm such a wet blanket!

Ken_Clark

Dec 28, 2012

If FarSight were to do this table, it would have to be entirely done like they did for the PHOF games, going after hours to the PHOF and snapping a bazillion photos. But that's not the biggest issue, getting the Roms would be. Which kinda leads into...

Pinball Circus is NOT on the list of games currently held by FarSight. That isn't to say it couldn't be in the future, but that list was agreed upon by FarSight and Roger Sharpe, who deals with all WMS properties. As was pointed out to me by anonymous persons, Pinball Circus never made it out of 'beta' for production, so why would WMS want to see it spread publicly across a kajillion platforms in TPA? They viewed it as not ready for primetime, and while it is a cool novelty and extremely rare, that doesn't mean they want it out there.

I'm such a wet blanket!

...and Cactus Canyon WAS ready for primetime?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
...and Cactus Canyon WAS ready for primetime?
Cactus Canyon had a production run of 903.

More recently, modern Stern machines often go through 5 or 6 post-release updates to their software. The updates are not all bug fixes; AC/DC originally shipped without its wizard mode implemented.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Some good points shutyertrap, after playing it though I think production costs may have been an issue in why it was never produced, not that it wasn't good enough in its current state. I swear it felt just as complete and ready as any other table.

The angle I would approach this from is actually Farsight hiring the table for a couple of months, stripping it down and analysing it with assistance from the hall of fame owner to ensure its done with the upmost respect and care and then rebuilding it and transporting it back.
The kick starter would cover licensing and hotel/travel any other costs for all parties involved

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
The kick starter would cover licensing and hotel/travel any other costs for all parties involved

Do you honestly think it's currently wise to organise a Kickstarter for anything TPA Linked at this current time! You wouldn't have my support and I'm fairly hardcore.

I'm not a Kickstarter fan generally, but I backed the last 2 TPA linked ones as I still possessed faith at the time.
TPA is now 14 months old, with Farsight having over a decade of other experience. The quality shown to date can no longer be blamed on teething problems. The quality is poor because the company has pi$$ poor quality standards.

In typical Farsight fashion, the current Kickstarters are still an ongoing fiasco months after completion and release.
Botched codes, Xbox publisher (which I know all about not being Farsight's fault), people receiving their rewards weeks and months after it went on sale to the general public, people paying for reward tiers that were just thrown to all (ball skins, beta access [Android]), no fixes for reported beta issues months later, and worst of all the final product (TZ being a digital shadow of its real self).
(Also - as a minor point. Android reward backers, can only access kickstarter tables when Farsight servers are working unlike normally purchased table sets).
Plus other issues like so many platforms being botched or unplayable - (all other than ios and Android) , or promised but not delivered platforms WiiU and PC.

I'll bet good money to anyone, the next TPA Kickstarter fails if done before Xbox issues and PC release is resolved.
I'd be prepared to bet they'd fail even after this resolution.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012

I'm such a wet blanket!

Farsight has said that they could potentially release prototypes and unreleased tables in a past interview or two.
As for pinball circus, it may not have been "Ready for primetime" but whenever I play it, I find it to offer some unique challenges. It is a bit simple and easy in some ways, but no easier than many of the alphanumeric tables that preceded it or some of its DMD kin that followed it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Forget about T3. It's a legal mess, due to the bankruptcy of the studio that owns it. Talking a legal mess that would put the whole Crave bankruptcy to shame. This is not me speculating either.

And yes, FarSight can by all means do a table like Pinball Circus. They would just need to convince WMS of letting them, as that is who holds the Roms. They cannot put out what WMS does not want them to have.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
I've brought up Pinball Circus before. Would LOVE to see it come to PBA and would gladly kickstart it if necessary, although I don't think it actually would be if Farsight could work out some kind of arrangement with the PHOF.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Pinball Circus isn't really all that great, though. It's a big gimmick and not much fun to play... still, I guess it would be neat to digitally preserve it.

That's a Kickstarter that I wouldn't support... though if they wanted to do it, they could probably get Tim Arnold to lend them his machine if backers raised a certain amount of money for the Salvation Army.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I couldn't care less about either terminator tables. I would much rather see the High Speed tables come out. I might even skip T2 entirely.

N

netizen

I would buy T2, would probably wouldn't back a Kickstarter for it.

However given the "Mission" of TPA to be a museum of sorts and preserve tables for people who would have never had a chance to see/play them, I would totally back a Kickstarter for Pinball Magic. It may not be a 'Players' table, but it is a pinball piece of history in many ways, given it's rarity and the sorts of toys/gimmicks it has.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I would buy T2, would probably wouldn't back a Kickstarter for it.

However given the "Mission" of TPA to be a museum of sorts and preserve tables for people who would have never had a chance to see/play them, I would totally back a Kickstarter for Pinball Magic. It may not be a 'Players' table, but it is a pinball piece of history in many ways, given it's rarity and the sorts of toys/gimmicks it has.

I'm not convinced that T2 is the right table to pursue for the next Kickstarter. I can definitely see it requires a kickstarter for the licenses, however when you break it down the table is somewhat basic.

I definitley won't pony-up any up-front cash for the Kickstarter, and will let the hardcore fans of this franchise get it over the line. Then I'll pay my $5 should it get released. I will never not purchase a TPA table, because I'm a completist when it comes to "collect them all".

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts